The Hater's Thread

G

grosun

Shitty, boring '5 elements' hiphop obsessives. Hiphop DJ's who play the same old fucking 'classics' over & over again. Live hiphop bands who rip off the Roots... the roots've got boring enough on their own without you guys biting their style. Beatboxers who want to sound like Rhazel.. yeah, it was clever the first time I heard it, but doing old Rakim records with just your voice ain't really very entertaining. Most UK hiphop.. boring, shouty, self-righteous, unfunky.

A lot of ninja tune stuff & "funky" shit with wacky edges.

Most modern d&b... too fucking fast & utterly formulaic.

All those shit new "indie" bands who sound the same & have no particular originality or feel to them. I was astounded at the number of them in the Glastonbury coverage.. they're breeding like flies on shit.

Oh yeah, most of what passes for 'breaks'... fucking stupid beats that don't make you want to move... & wtf does it have to do with breaks? Most of the time the beat's like a stupidified electro beat anyway; miles away from any breakbeat I've ever heard.

Smooth Japanese pop. Urgh. Got time for M-Flo, but pretty much everyone else sucks.

All those sub-erykah badu 'soul' people... Alicia Keys & all those brit. nu-soul 'divas' who've got no feeling to their singing; awful, awful soul-by numbers for pple who want ersatz emotion.

Heh, most of that's repeating shit from further up the thread, but I feel like the old balcony guys in the muppet show today.. need to dis something. I'm sure there's plenty more, but can't think of any @ the mo.

Blackdown

nexKeysound
martin said:
Does anyone actually know what 4/4 means? Cos I hate that too

4/4 is a time signature (four beats each of which is a crotchet, ie of value one) but musically people use it as 'four-to-the-floor' which means four kicks on each beat of the bar (ie techno, house and erm, 4/4 garage) especially in a garage context. Todd Edwards makes '4/4' basically.

gumdrops

honestly, i hate virtually all modern blues. i sort of liked the fat possum artists like r l burnside but then you hear them playing with a small band live, and maybe cos of the production or maybe cos of the sidemen, it just encroaches into slightly horrid blues-rock territory.

Pearsall

Prodigal Son
- metal. I just hate it. all of it.

- DMC style dj'ing - it's WOW! once in a blue moon, but really it's all just Joe Satriani with decks, isn't it?

- got to agree with the underground hip-hop assessments; a weird mix of self-righteousness, shitty production, and God-awful mastering (why does backpack stuff always sound like it was recorded through mud-encrusted mics)

- new roots reggae. boring. Babylon must be destroyed, just so these fucks will shut up.

- the really esoteric end of dubstep. transglobal underground revived.

- 'eclectic' dj mixes. I'd rather just listen to one genre than hear a bunch of 'zany juxtapositions'. especially awful in a club, where you get into a groove right as the dj decides to play something completely different, just to show how 'open-minded' they are.

- progressive house. the most boring dance genre ever.

- breakcore. the worst bits of jungle and hardcore techno combined.

zhao

there are no accidents
someone said "all things Jazz0y". couldn't agree more. the problem is that when a shit for brains wanker "triphop" or "jazzy jungle" producers only sample shit for brains wanker jazz musicians like Wynton Marsalis. those smooth, sentimental reeds over generic beats makes me want to open fire in a crowded club.

I second Groove Armada. what a load of slushy shit.

Fila Brasillia and all modern Bossa Nova inspired dance music - the real thing is so amazingly lovely, what makes these assholes think putting pre-set beats and retarded bleeps all over it is going to make it better???

most remix projects like "Reich remixed" or "Miles Davis remixed" or "Nina Simone Remixed" - can I borrow your axe for a minute? just want to decapitate a dozen or so record label execs. a possible exception is "Handel's Messiah Remixed", I gave it a cursory listen and it sounds quite good, with people like Aube and Scanner.

Woebot, speaking of country, you can't possibly hate John Fahey?????

DigitalDjigit

Honky Tonk Woman
I agree with 90% of the things mentioned here.

For myself I would also add Usher...in fact all r'n'b for the last 5 years at least, maybe 8. But especially Usher. It all sounds so tinny, it's like mid 80's pop. There's a giant void in the middle of the music.

Eminem.

Pearsall

Prodigal Son
juliand said:
I find DJ/Rupture's mixes didactic, like I'm in the Timbaland seminar in some ethnic studies class on race, class, and hybridity--its just as bad as the world music its supposed to be the antidote to

lol

gumdrops

i also hate
singers singing over hip hop loops
R&B artists singing hip hop lyrics and doing that post-bone thugs/stop-start/am i rapping or am i singing? style like fucking craig david or r kelly
ill be honest, i hate the cheapo, ultra high end, this-is-my-first-synth style playing of yucky synthesizers on a lot of amateurish grime beats - they sound like vangelis being played by swizz beats
i also hate a lot of the dancehall beats that sound like fucking europop!

Canada J Soup

Monkey Man
DMC style dj'ing ... Joe Satriani with decks
I was going to post exactly this. I'll occasionally be blown away by something I've never heard done before, but it quickly pales. Bad enough when recorded...absolutely excruciating live.

Don't even know where to start with faster electronic dance stuff...there's just so much to hate; 'funky' breaks, 'nu skool' breaks, big beat, prog house, anthemic trance, UK hard house. All of it made infinitesimally worse if you're in a room full of people who enjoy it.

Ooh, I'm also extremely bored with schaffel. Interesting for about five minutes, but 'Monstertruckdriver' sort of killed it for me / acted as a microcosm of my feelings for the genre. Promising start...gradual realization that I find it kind of cheesy and crap.

I also don't 'get' a good 80% of Ellen Allien's output...why is the bad singing necessary?

Last edited:

gumdrops

hip hop fusion is generally dreadful and really really boring
see the concert where djs 'duel' with some drummers on the keepintime dvd on ninja tune

there's literally too much for me to type....

R&B/Hip Hop hybrid bulls***
SOULLESS music
all motherf****** hipsters, hipster magazines, clothes, journalists, nightspots, air, food anything associated LOL
the UK music industry
wack UK Hip Hop
the word 'grime'
wasteman, gun lyric, self hating, supposedly brotha's MC's

i'll come back later. im getting mad jus thinking about things :mad: ....

Last edited: