The Hater's Thread

soundslike1981

I don't think I proactively "hate" any kind of music, because there's too much that's good to spend time on shit. Unlike bad architecture, bad music can, fortunately, generally be ignored. However, I sometimes wonder if it's possible for bad music to do as much damage to the general intelligence level of civilisation as, say, commercial television. In other words--can bad music glorifying vacuuous consumerist materialism further the cause of over/mis use or resources/time/money/passion?

Most of the stuff I deeply dislike probably doesn't touch too much on that, because most of it is essentially marginal, not commercially persuasive:

* anything that can make the event of music sound lazy and indifferent/ironic, no matter what sounds are being appropriated. 95% of the time this means "indie rock". Especially in the last ten years or so.

* metal, quiet storm r&b, 90% of indie hip hop, 90% of post-Gangsta neo-Hair Metal pop-hop (inc. crunk, 50 cent, Emenim, etc.), post-1960s Nashville country, post-60s electric blues, people who think they're Bob Dylan/Leonard Cohen in their rambling lyrics moments, neo-Hippie music (Rusted Root, et al.), "post-punk revival" (indie does Joy Division), whatever the hell Bright Eyes is, U2-type stadium rock

* anything actively anti-intellectual, especially if it's perpetrated by educated people; though I think I'd enjoy music that were specifically anti-academic, if that were somehow possible.

* probably the one I'd be willing to hate is borecore---Sigur Ros, Mogwai, GSYBE, etc. etc. Tepid, paint-by-numbers banality posing as the avant garde--and being taken as such by impressionable youths, causing them to close their minds further to the breadth and depth of good music.

blissblogger

you guys are so negative

soundslike1981 said:
.... though I think I'd enjoy music that were specifically anti-academic, if that were somehow possible.

LOL

[long pause]

[thinks very hard about what this could possibly correspond to]

[icon that's the opposite of a lightbulb going over your head]

shudder

soundslike1981 said:
neo-Hippie music (Rusted Root, et al)

My god. there is little that makes half as angry as rusted root. So many of my friends were into them for a little while two years ago, and I couldn't stand it. And they thought I was being so priggish too for not "loosening up", although they generally got over it (my hatin', not the music, unfortunately) and had a sense of humour about it later.

shudder

blissblogger said:
you guys are so negative

LOL

[long pause]

[thinks very hard about what this could possibly correspond to]

[icon that's the opposite of a lightbulb going over your head]

So we want pro-intellectual anti-academic? I'm sure in the mases of Fall back catalogue I don't really know, there must be some anti-academic screed...?

blissblogger

re Fall

well they used to have a song called "Hey Student" that wasn't complimentary, but i don't know if we could really honor most undergraduates with the term 'academic'

and "mere pseud mag ed", again even those rock journalists who quote nietzche etc, dunno if they count as academics

perhaps anti-academic would be some guy who's gone through music conversatory and studied serialism or whatever, and then completely rebels against it?

come to think of it Jean-Michel Jarre sorta fits -- started out at music academy (i think he studied concrete with schaeffer) and then does kitschy-cosmic cheesy-melodic (but, you know, really quite nice)
prog-lite proto-trance... that's just selling out really, though, as opposed to being anti- anything

a real rock equivalent though... some group formed whose primary impetus was to be opposed to Rock in Opposition/Henry Cow type stuff?

Canada J Soup

Monkey Man
I could see this fitting lots of stuff...any intelligent, original, outsider music that just does instead of agonizing over finding reference points for itself. The Fall is a great example (although there's a aura of autodidactic intellectualism that maybe sets it up as a parallel academia?)

(I love how this is the fastest growning thread I've yet to see on Dissensus)

Canada J Soup

Monkey Man
Lots of 80s hardcore / skatecore had a kind of a deliberately stupid thing going on (Descendents / All, The Stupids, Hard-Ons, that band with the ice hockey thing).

sufi

lala
(I love how this is the fastest growning thread I've yet to see on Dissensus)
hate:
that synthified modern 'african' (or worse still 'world') music - usually produced in europe, or worse still the states...
typified by pgabriel/realworld (gah!), unfortunately too much of aster, baaba, youssou ... apart from the re-issues, seems to be like dat. bland bland blandified.... :mad:
,dat & wot pearsell say (agreeing wit P :eek: ):
- new roots reggae. boring. Babylon must be destroyed, just so these fucks will shut up.
now apart from that i gotta say that y'all are hating gurt swathes of fine music - how can you dislike 'metal', 'country'... i mean ... woebot how could you, really ? it's a very
R&B hiphop overlaps i lurve as well, have you noticed how there's a few grime tracks that have had a go at that... yummy :D
personally the masses of homogenised indy bands, or for that matter stuff like clodplay/U2/rock stuff falls short of inspiring anything as intense as hatred ... i can't really distinguish between so unfamiliarity kinda alleviates contempt

dominic

Beast of Burden
sufi said:
R&B hiphop overlaps i lurve as well

i agree with sufi here

i may not buy or collect the stuff, but generally prefer hip hop r'n'b composite over the one and the other

sufi said:
unfamiliarity kinda alleviates contempt

yeah, depends how popular or "endorsed" it is

now that death metal is fashionable, i really must say that i hate all metal

usually i'm indifferent to what i hear, but don't actually hate it -- e.g., i'm indifferent to all the post-metro area deep disco i hear out, but i can't say that i hate the stuff, find myself liking quite a number of tracks insofar as i will dance to them, and yet ultimately don't care enough to investigate

dominic

Beast of Burden
Pearsall said:
breakcore. the worst bits of jungle and hardcore techno combined.

is breakcore a genre or a dj philosophy?

i.e., i kinda think of breakcore as "balearic" djing for hardcore rave diaspora

dominic

Beast of Burden
confucius said:
someone said "all things Jazz0y". couldn't agree more.

i think it depends on the dj

there's a lot of jazzy stuff out there, much of very very boring

but some of the dark jazzy stuff on compost is good

and then the cosmic 4hero and p'taah stuff can also be quite good

so it comes down to selection

AND a lot that stuff is drug music = mushroom music

hardcore music is NOT the only drug music out there

confucius said:
all modern Bossa Nova inspired dance music

see comments up above

confucious said:
most remix projects like "Reich remixed" or "Miles Davis remixed" or "Nina Simone Remixed"

i agree

dominic

Beast of Burden
soundslike1981 said:
anything that can make the event of music sound lazy and indifferent/ironic, no matter what sounds are being appropriated. 95% of the time this means "indie rock". Especially in the last ten years or so

agreed

soundslike1981 said:
metal, quiet storm r&b, 90% of indie hip hop, 90% of post-Gangsta neo-Hair Metal pop-hop (inc. crunk, 50 cent, Emenim, etc.), post-1960s Nashville country, post-60s electric blues, people who think they're Bob Dylan/Leonard Cohen in their rambling lyrics moments, neo-Hippie music (Rusted Root, et al.), "post-punk revival" (indie does Joy Division), whatever the hell Bright Eyes is, U2-type stadium rock

agreed -- though i should confess i did like rapture, interpol, etc, when they were first getting big, and i should also confess that i still kinda sorta like the stuff when i hear it out -- it's the IDEA of what they do, what they REPRESENT, that i hate -- not so much the actual music

AND i despise Eminem

(btw doesn't anyone else find it puzzling/troubling that k-punk likes eminem? or am i the only one who loses sleep when he disagrees with k-punk?)

soundslike1981 said:
anything actively anti-intellectual, especially if it's perpetrated by educated people

here here

soundslike1981 said:
probably the one I'd be willing to hate is borecore---Sigur Ros, Mogwai, GSYBE

agreed

dominic

Beast of Burden
what i hate is djs who play boring, tepid, "prematurely middle-aged male" house music -- not b/c i hate the music as such (on its own terms, it's preferable to most other dance music), but b/c there's always the risk that they'll be invited by others to join in my endeavors

and i'm highly skeptical of young djs doing the trend-spotting reggaeton/grime/ragga/bhangra thing -- but skepticism isn't the same as hate

and i hate most trance, most recycled acid house sounds

hate most hard house, most tribal house, most progressive house

hate booty house, ghetto house, etc

hate all d'n'b that suffers from a surfeit of testosterone

in general, i hate all "testosterone" music -- but give adam x a free pass

(i like it feminine or wicked)

hate all post-60s country, all post-50s blues

hate most singer-songwriter types

hate most indie rock

hate most grunge rock

hate all classic rock in the bob seger/bruce springsteen vein

hate elvis costello, television, rem, etc

hate most indie hip hop

also hate a lot of commercial hip hop

(as a general rule, i most enjoy commercial hip hop when selected by a woman dj)

(btw i went to a massive all-woman dj warehouse party last weekend -- count me as down with the feminine pressure)

bored by most rare groove, but don't hate it

bored by most r'n'b, but don't hate it

bored by most acid jazz, but don't hate it

bored by most detroit techno, but don't hate it

bored by most jazz music, but don't hate it

bored by most music i hear period

Last edited:

zhao

there are no accidents
and i'm highly skeptical of young djs doing the trend-spotting reggaeton/grime/ragga/bhangra thing -- but skepticism isn't the same as hate

__oh shit I think he's talking about me :)

in general, i hate all "testosterone" music

__have to dissagree... I loved Slayer when I was 15 and I love Slayer now (30).

hate all post-60s country, all post-50s blues

__a few exceptions aside... yup

hate most singer-songwriter types
hate most indie rock

__if Elliot Smith wasn't dead already I'd run him over with my bycicle.

hate most indie hip hop

__hmmm... is Lif indie? is J-Zone indie? how about Gemini? or Tes One?

10:02am

Aerosmith

anything that synthesizes the blues since the early Stones

music made by anyone who claims to simply touch an instrument and 'the music just comes through them'