1994 was 30 years ago

Enormously popular or enormous sonically? (Or both)
Definitely both. Club UK for example was a big noise at the time, 3 or 4 rooms of techno and hard trance, and there were queues around the block in Wandsworth. Die hard in Leicester, nights all over Scotland. Jungle was invisible. I had one mate Duncan who went to awol orSunday roast (he's probably a KC now), but it was way outside the comfort zone for most, including me. This was the first jungle mix I heard

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I heard a tune off this earlier called "every mickle makes a muckle" (apparently a Scottish/northern English phrase, bizarrely) and on the CD it's been pitched up and sounds a lot better

I actually found a lot of the ragga I listened to pretty underwhelming. Maybe I wasn't listening to the right stuff or it was a bad year for dancehall - but the ragga jungle was/is so much more thrilling to my ears

luka

it wasnt an especially bad year for dancehall its just literally that everything sounds better on jungle so its going to suffer in comparison. early 90s was better tho and thats where most of the samples are from check the buju vs capleton thread and pretty much every record has been sampled on a classic jungle tune.

0bleak

It sounded less immediately exciting than techno, you really had to get your ears round it, after getting past the MCs

one reason is the limited sound palette. A lot of it just doesn't sound very electronic, but then again, a lot of techno ironically suffered from the same.
That this track from 1987 with the horrible, just HORRIBLE electronic take on "real" instruments became an iconic piece of techno really says it all:

when stuff like this was coming out at the same time where it really sounded like an incredible science fiction future was just around the corner:

edit: and at the same time Public Enemy was showing how to bring the noise if you're going to use the sounds of real instruments, and at least jungle has interesting syncopation and sub bass.

IdleRich

IdleRich
I think I mentioned I got a newish gf... now in many ways we have lots of similar life experiences and she grew up faster than me. But, she was born in... 1994. Leads to the odd weird realisation, like we spoke about Pulp Fiction and it hit me that I saw it in the cinema when she was one year old.

0bleak

album of 1994 w/ the remix album 1995
multiple formats - always be prepared!
Buried somewhere deep in the archives is a poster for it, with, IIRC, a quote from Simon Reynolds, "awesome, unmissable"
scorn.jpg

IdleRich

IdleRich
Wow @IdleRich your girlfriend is younger than @dilbert1

Well it's not really cool but she is not like a normal 29 year old in that, cos of numerous horrible circumstances I won't go into, she had to grow up super fast and has packed an insane amount of experience into those years.

chava

94 was the year I got radicalized and since never looked back then first hearing this :

In fact this record meant to much to me that I resented all other forms of techno that came before and after for several years; I think it was akin to a semi-religious experience or becoming a monk or whatever. I vividly remember reading that paragraph years later in Energy Flash where this record was mocked and got properly agitated, in a very non-stoic non-monk way.

30 years later I have finally come to terms with happy hardcore and the "continuum" and general UK postmodern everything goes silliness.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
That this track from 1987 with the horrible, just HORRIBLE electronic take on "real" instruments became an iconic piece of techno really says it all:

Er, but it's house? Techno was a generic marketting term that the belleville three trotted out to Stuart Cosgrove to separate their music from what was going on in chicago, even though there was no singular detroit sound or whatever.

If it wasn't for this track from Atkins, called techno music (which has a kraftwerkian electro purity to it) we would probably be speaking of 'the house sound of detroit.'

Personally I'm sick to death of strings of life through overexposure, but i suppose it has/had its moments.

nude photo 88 (acid burns mix) and Sinister are closer to what we know as techno today

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
In fact this record meant to much to me that I resented all other forms of techno that came before and after for several years; I think it was akin to a semi-religious experience or becoming a monk or whatever. I vividly remember reading that paragraph years later in Energy Flash where this record was mocked and got properly agitated, in a very non-stoic non-monk way.

30 years later I have finally come to terms with happy hardcore and the "continuum" and general UK postmodern everything goes silliness.

it's true @blissblogger needs to do a stint in the taliban to truly understand this.