1994 was 30 years ago

chava

it just seem silly to post '94 tunes as there's just an endless supply. I think 50% of my record collection is from '94, and not only techno

william_kent

from a UK perspective - no one's mentioned the 1994 Criminal Justice Bill and Public Order Act yet...

this was a major attack on civil liberties by the Tories that could be said to have forced ravers indoors and spawned the evil super clubs, trampled over the traveller scene, gave greater powers to police to harrass ( stop and search ) plus it put Autechre into the spotlight:

The British IDM duo Autechre released the three-track Anti EP in support of the advocacy group Liberty. The EP contained "Flutter", a song composed to contravene the definition of music in the Act as "repetitive beats" by using 65 distinctive drum patterns. The EP bore a warning advising DJs to "have a lawyer and a musicologist present at all times to confirm the non-repetitive nature of the music in the event of police harassment".

luka

yes it is, check discogs. unless the discogs entry is wrong? It's possible. @droid can you enlighten us?

and anyway, you weren't listening to any jungle after dec 31st 1994, so the fact you know about it makes it '94 😁
Feels earlier. Its brilliant one of the best records ever

william_kent

In some ways I'd blame the rise of TEKNIVAL and the increased popularity of ketamine on 1994's Criminal Justice Bill

Teknivals are a larger scale version of free parties and emerged in the early 1990s, when acid house parties and travellers in Great Britain became the target of political repression, culminating in the Criminal Justice and Public Order Act 1994. Section 63 of the Act gave the police new powers to close down illegal parties.[1]

Sound systems then started travelling to countries in Europe where laws were less restrictive and the authorities were uncertain how to stop the festivals. One of the most famous of these sound systems was Spiral Tribe, which was at the forefront of the free party movement in Europe. Other systems were called Bedlam, Circus Normal, Circus Warp and Vox Populi.

droid

yes it is, check discogs. unless the discogs entry is wrong? It's possible. @droid can you enlighten us?

and anyway, you weren't listening to any jungle after dec 31st 1994, so the fact you know about it makes it '94 😁
Honestly hard to say, its clearly a step up from his last big tune of 93, way less ravey, without the constant switch ups every 8 bars:

But it doesn't have the same ruff abstraction of his mid 94 work:

Though it does sound lot like some other stuff he released in 94 in terms of texture and weird hardcore flourishes

Remember that D'Cruze didn't really take the traditional path from rave into jungle mainstream. He never made a roller. Instead he retained some of hardcore's unpredictability and leapt straight into hyperactive break experimentation. I think this is why after his album he more or less vanished. He'd taken that style as far as it could go and, like T-Power, the scene had shifted too much around him in the meantime.

So on balance, yeah, id say its entirely plausible it was made in 94.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
nah m8, the Boom Shaka Mix all the way

massive agrees 2 - that version was the 1 the pirates played

the mad ragga john remix has a gangster bebopism though. it's in that lineage of 11.55 (gangsta remix) but even more tense and nervous.

In polemics democracy carries no weight for us, the massive agreeing or disagreeing is irrelevant!

gremino

Moster Sirphine

How wide open with possibilities the music felt in '94

this was "jungle" but it doesn't sound anything like the received, history-sealed idea of jungle
Original jungle tunes still inspires me when I make jungle tracks. With revival jungle, you kinda have formula which is followed, rather than producers just trying new things.

I believe there's still room for exploration in the genre, even in the humble sine bass. The track below is good example of trying new things - listen to the sine bass. Definitely idea worth of doing more. You don't hear oldskool jungle djs playing this tune much...

gremino

Moster Sirphine
Original jungle tunes still inspires me when I make jungle tracks. With revival jungle, you kinda have formula which is followed, rather than producers just trying new things.

I believe there's still room for exploration in the genre, even in the humble sine bass. The track below is good example of trying new things - listen to the sine bass. Definitely idea worth of doing more. You don't hear oldskool jungle djs playing this tune much...

Also on the melodic side, there's this nice bells-melody in intro. In revival jungle you mostly hear euphoric/soothing chords - I'm also guilty in overusing them tho lol. And I love how the track samples vocal from eurodance, rather than from the usual house/rnb.

Orginal one btw:

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
Also on the melodic side, there's this nice bells-melody in intro. In revival jungle you mostly hear euphoric/soothing chords - I'm also guilty in overusing them tho lol. And I love how the track samples vocal from eurodance, rather than from the usual house/rnb.

Orginal one btw:

Like I said, the jungle/happy split was taking place in '94

In a way this is inhibiting for the jungle revivalists, you are right. they don't, necessarily so, through historical circumstance have to wrestle with that.