Before you post yet another, ask yourself

D

droid

Rambler said:
Other points aside, surely the 'acceptable' level is the level at which people want to, and happen to post. If someone's not happy with the proportion of Grime, they can always post about something else; I don't think there's anything to be achieved by setting even imaginary quotas for how much x or y the board should contain.

Spot on! Forums are probably one of the most democratic environments out there. Dont like a thread or too much of one type of thread? The dont reply to it, and put up something that you want to discuss instead. If others are interested that thread will grow. The only problems Ive seen here are a few bits of excessive self-promotion and ego-tripping, bith of which were dealt with swiftly, so IMO, the system is working...

The content of any forum is dictated by the interests of its members and the input that they are willing to put into it, and since the Woebot has gone on his holidays, most of that input has come from the grime side of things.

The question that should be asked IMO is 'where all the non-grime threads'?

dominic said:
Just to add my two cents, i think we should have one forum devoted to discussion and debate of music-related issues and then a second forum for promotion, event announcements, mixes, posting links to mixes, etc

Have to disagree here, Dissensus is, on average, a slow forum, with very few posts per day in comparison to most boards (surprising given the amount of members). Sub-dividing existing forums would only highlight the current lack of activity here, and uneccessarily segregate the two main audiences (see Pauls point below).

As someone mentioned above, it might even be an idea to merge art and technology, or some of the 'non-music' :D forums. It makes more sense to have 3 or 4 forums (fora?) with more posts than it does to have 7 or 8 with very few... and its less intimidating/overwhelming for newbies.

2stepfan said:
I think one of the strengths of Dissensus is that on the one hand there is a large, international body of older music fans / writers with a lot of knowledge and analytical abaility, and they write about a vast range of different music, and on the other there's a strong contingent of grime fans, DJs and producers here who write with deep knowledge and expertise about that part of the musical spectrum. Dissenus wouldn't be nearly as interesting if either side disappeared. I actually find some of the "saying nothing" fan posts about Grime here pretty refreshing!

OTM! And to repeat myself; If you want more highbrow chat - then post more highbrow chat! :p

(Or - try using the 'ratings' function on threads, and then sort the forum by rating, that way you can mark the threads you want to be involved in, and keep them at the top of the page...)

Last edited by a moderator:

Blackdown

nexKeysound
i dont know about anyone else, but i feel like the esteemed and mighty k-punk is trying to oppress us!

mark: why not extend your grime-purchasing methods. if you can't find the strength to buy Run the Roads 1+2, nor Aim High 1+2, nor Lord of the Decks 1-3 or Logan Sama RWD, why dont you also not find the strength to read all the grime threads too? ;)

3underscore

Interesting thread

Where do I sit? I don't know. There are a lot of grime threads, and some judicial use of bits could control them. Like a rolling FWD thread, a rolling Rinse thread. It would be pretty clear what the content was, and it would stop what can be a bit of a clutter.

At the same time, asking people not to start threads is bad. Personally, as far as the music forum is concerned, I typically daren't. I find it all interesting to read, but some of this just gets so serious I think sometimes better to leave it. Some maybe should beware that this place can be pretty intimidating - especially those who reply with about 20 different quotes so that the whole thing is virtually unreadable and forces the brain to turn to mush.

At the same time, the music board has yet to provide such a wonderous piece of consideration as the wasp thread, which completely changed my summer.

hint

party record with a siren
stelfox said:
i really don't want to be an arsehole or unnecessarily unpleasant, but that's really uppity nonsense and i'm getting a little bored with everyone's actions being subject to this kind of scrutiny by a select few here.

Agreed

If the intention is to have a forum where people are "hounded" into posting stuff more to the liking of a select few, you might as well make it "members only" and make that membership subject to approval by one of those select few.

dominic

Beast of Burden
stelfox said:
sorry but this is sanctimonious crap . . . . a lot of people who use this board work hard at what they do and plenty of people are, in turn, interested in these projects (whatever form they might take). can we please enjoy the fact that we've got a forum that allows this kind of exchange and stop being so snippy?

did you actually read all that i said? or did you intentionally misrepresent my remark?

this is what i said =

dominic said:
jpostings that announce events or provide a link to a dj mix are in the main self-interested = "this is what i'm up to at the moment, or what my peeps are up to, please check it out so that you can learn about me and my crew, b/c i crave your recognition" -- though of course a cool event or a good mix has the potential of being a gift to others -- or at least carries a kind of informational content that satisfies our curiosity about one another, i.e., so-and-so is into this sound or this kind of party-- and therein lies the value of such posts to the larger dissensus community

i also happen to be a person who has posted links not to my own mixes, but to mixes that my mates have done, or at least to their radio shows, and i intend at some point to post a selection of house music that i've made

and yet in doing so, i realize that my motive is to be better "understood" by people here -- i.e., i want you guys to have a better sense of who i am and where i'm coming from -- and this is also why i happen to enjoy hearing the mixes that you (stelfox) and others have made, i.e., i consider these mixes to be "gifts" and i also appreciate the opportunity to know where people are coming from, to hear what they're into directly rather than simply read their arguments about music

but there can be no denying that such exchanges are of *personal* or *narrow* interest -- and b/c they're of *personal* or *narrow* interest, they are not going to be of much interest to many of the people who pass through here

there isn't the same degree of universality as there is with threads that deal w/ issues worthy of extended discussion and debate

this should be obvious

dominic

Beast of Burden
i've also announced every single big party or big event that i've been involved with for the past several months -- despite knowing full well that nobody who frequents this forum would ever likely materialize at one of my parties -- and also despite knowing that the kind of music that gets played at my parties doesn't really jive with what most people here are into

and again, i do so out of a perfectly human need to make myself known to others -- and i assume that others have similar motives as me

so when i said "crave" recognition, i was making light of our shared nature

(in short, you've got a chip on your shoulder stelfox)

and last, it should be clear that i think both kinds of postings have value to the dissensus community -- and i clearly said as much -- on the one side postings that announce events or provide links to mixes, and on the other side postings that initiate extended discussion

i just think it'd be better if we had separate forums for each kind of posting

Last edited:

dominic

Beast of Burden
and i've also announced other stuff that i've heard about -- e.g., the east river amphitheater event -- though in these cases i've done so w/ the expectation that it would be of interest to the wider dissensus community

really, now that i've re-read what i wrote upthread, and then re-read stelfox's comment on what i wrote, i think he's smoking some serious crack and needs to check himself

dominic

Beast of Burden
mpc said:

no, i recognize that stelfox makes many valuable contributions to this forum

so i'd never suggest or endorse any such measure

we just have bad blood b/w us, for whatever reason

k-punk

Spectres of Mark
Dave --- calm down --- upthread you agreed there were too many low-quality grime threads...

Blackdown said:
i dont know about anyone else, but i feel like the esteemed and mighty k-punk is trying to oppress us!

Yeh, well, believe me, there are a number of people who feel 'oppressed' by the density of grime threads too.... :)

But my point is about best use of the board, not about stopping people using it. Course there are those who think that ninety-five new threads an hour that last for two posts are the way forward...

mark: why not extend your grime-purchasing methods. if you can't find the strength to buy Run the Roads 1+2, nor Aim High 1+2, nor Lord of the Decks 1-3 or Logan Sama RWD, why dont you also not find the strength to read all the grime threads too? ;)

I don't read em --- but I don't read many threads on the music forum at all because of the sheer density of threads.

And it's not about strength, it's about interest.

mpc

wasteman
dominic said:
no, i recognize that stelfox makes many valuable contributions to this forum

so i'd never suggest or endorse any such measure

we just have bad blood b/w us, for whatever reason

i was referring to you, but not to worry.

i'll clash either one of you.

write some bars.

blissblogger

re. grime threads and perceived excess thereof

... if the genre was fresh out of the box , a brand new 2005 phenon, OR if it was moving at incredible speed and diversifying in every direction, aesthetically expanding while conquering the world, well, a plethora of threads would be no bad thing at all: just a sign of how compelling and fertile it was

but from my admittedly somewhat remote vantage point, it seems to have stalled quite a bit this year, formally and in terms of its war on pop... and perhpas therefore not really warrant such intensive discursive mastication

so (concurring with kpunk but for different reasons perhaps) there a little bit of "a jeez, are we still talking about grime?!? it's four years on now" factor -- as a subject, it's terra cognita, all angles covered, chewed out

that said, i've no idea what should be talked about instead, can't see any candidates on the horizon -- genre-wise at least

[except tripwire of course heheheh]

blissblogger said:
that said, i've no idea what should be talked about instead, can't see any candidates on the horizon -- genre-wise at least
jesus...it must be that mid-decade lull kicking-in all over again. Just hang on till 2008...it's gonna be fucking mental! ;)

k-punk

Spectres of Mark
bassnation said:
lol, touche indeed :)

its a pity the hip hop thread degenerated into a flame war, this would make an interesting debate.

lol, i don't think it got that flamey; the most heat was generated by the exchange between yourself and me, wasn't it, and that was good-natured and good-humoured...

(Think Dissensus could use a bit of heat just now... bring back Rachel Verinder.... :) )

I was waiting for Dave to start the hip-hop thread actually... wanted him to defend the view that 'hip hop is the greatest force for good in the history of the universe EVER' claim :)

Blackdown

nexKeysound
blissblogger said:
re. grime threads and perceived excess thereof

but from my admittedly somewhat remote vantage point, it seems to have stalled quite a bit this year, formally and in terms of its war on pop... and perhpas therefore not really warrant such intensive discursive mastication

i dont fully understand this war on pop reference. when was grime's intention to war with pop? the fact that is has this year (with kano, lethal b and roll deep) came as a bit of a surprise really.

blissblogger

Blackdown said:
i dont fully understand this war on pop reference. when was grime's intention to war with pop? the fact that is has this year (with kano, lethal b and roll deep) came as a bit of a surprise really.

i suppose i meant conquer pop -- move into pop's terrain and make it its own ... establish a beachhead...

(but war also cos grime's values are anti-popist)

(it's also an echo of an ancient ian penman piece called 'War On Pop', written in a mid-decade lull, as it happens, 84 or 85 i think)

grime seems to have barely advanced in terms of invading the charts -- doing very slightly better than it was back in 2003 w/ 'i luv u' -- which itself was a decline cf more fire's 'oi' at number 8

has kano had a proper hit yet? 'typical me' barely counts really. and what was the avenue's highest chart position?

Logan Sama

BestThereIsAtWhatIDo
Avenue - 11

Nite Nite is apparently going to go top 10 and Shake A Leg is tipped to go top 3

Lethal's next single "Fire" is getting some good support as well.

blissblogger

Logan Sama said:
Avenue - 11

... Shake A Leg is tipped to go top 3

[grudgingly] 11's not bad i spose...

roll deep/top 3 ---i'll believe it when i see it!

and then there's the question of whether, if grime's chart success is in proportion to its non-grimeyness, that's any kind of victory at all

'avenue' is less like war on pop and more like dressing up in the enemy's uniforms or something