GRIME- breaking news, gossip, slander, lies etc

Logan Sama

BestThereIsAtWhatIDo
I dont mind starting new topics based on interesting points raised, or new releases that are warranting their own discussion threads.

Poisonous Dart

Lone Swordsman
If any one stays...

it seems this thread is the only that anyone really minds is being closed.

:slanted:

the problem is that it's sucked all the grime out of the rest of the forum. ingrates like me who just ignore it aren't getting their fix. maybe if someone would agree to moderate this thread, and push bigger topics out, you know strictly gossip, then we could keep it open?

maybe i seem a bit indecisive, but i'm just trying to listen to the massive.

If any of these genre threads deserves to stay it's this one...shit, it's the reason I ever even posted here (that and Logan Sama was a Grime authority). I'll be sad to see this one go. One.

do keep this thread going, its the only one out of the "gossip/lies/slander" ones that actually gets constant posting. 90% of the stuff i post i wouldnt feel comfortable starting a thread about. keep the grime thread!!!

mos dan

fact music
some issues/themes do warrant individual trends: there was a ruff sqwad one, there's that thread about wiley and eski... but then if you just want to say 'who's heard that new xxx tune?' it seems a whole thread might not be necessary. maybe keep this purely for incidental gossip and suchlike, but encourage separate threads as well?

i can see the logic in the argument for locking the rolling threads - i came here because of the grime and dubstep threads, to scratch an itch that rwd, and increasingly dubstepforum didn't satisfy - but the more i look around, the more i see that i want to get involved in... which is bad for my work ethic, but otherwise good...

viktorvaughn

What about maintaining the Grime rolling thread with some mild moderation and a strong encouragement to add to other large threads and keep this for the smaller events, comments and trivia?

I can't think of any other place that has such a nicely distilled body of observation/criticism/praise from people who by and large know what they are talking about.

I love RWD forum but it's sometimes a bit taxing to trawl through all the threads!

I can't think of any other place that has such a nicely distilled body of observation/criticism/praise from people who by and large know what they are talking about.

spot on, thats what brought me here.

really feeling tempa t's - swing (ego6 remix) the one from the video on his myspace, remixed by parisians ego6 - got it on the compilation Grimey Frogs (worst name ever) - http://www.toolboxrecords.com/Grimey+Frogs+CD,p5494.html

i was very interested by this compilation until i heard it - Sniper E is all over it, absolute wasteman - worst bars/personality in the game - and kind of ruined it for me. The french rappers (mostly unknown's) flow in awful english sometimes, i was hoping to hear a mutation between political french hip hop with an aggressive grime sound/ethos, instead you get quite a few shit English mc's, some bad French mc'ing, and some ok-ish beats

though there are a few gems; AC & Terra - Watch ur back is quite hype - another ego6 production

London to France is interesting - a slow haunting two tone bass melody overlayed by a nippier synth and fidgety high hats - on this one they put french mc's next to english ones (Genius - french mc spitting english completely cocks it up) ears chorus kind of holds it together, but i worry that the time between mc's coming in is too long - they should murk this beat quicker. Lexx Coop bring up the rear with some shower Frenchness.

Tempa T's swing - ego6 remix is massive. end of. i love the bit when temps almost humms the tune for a few seconds - getting so immersed in it he cant spit his bars

"brains start scatteringhmmmmmmmmmmmm" so hype.

its seems the french mc's cant handle grime pace really - they prefer the slower beats. there are a few riddims tacked on, mostly forgettable really. this does not live up to any expectation of ingenuity or merger between two styles, apart from a few stand out moments, what a shame

Logos

Ghosts of my life
Yeah I would like to see this thread kept in some form, though I do see the mods point of view.

I think certain points raised in this thread would benefit from the room to breathe a specific thread would bring...but this is still the best place to come to catch up on all the odd bits of news and what not.

Actually I suspect what has happened is people have got used to the idea that they should only be posting about grime in here and not really on the main page at all which I know wasn't what was intended originally but seems to have been the effect.

Immryr

i just listened to wileys new album, twice. its pretty good like. there are a few songs im not hugely keen on BUT none that make me physically cringe, so thats pretty good. stand out moments; Bow E3 - this song is AMAZING, there isnt much more to be said about it, No Qualms - i dont have which ever tunnel vision this song was on so its fairly new to me, i love it, quite electro-ey, then the obvious tunes which we've heard before - johnny was a bad boy, gangsters.

the production values are high throughout and it all sounds very shiney, in a good way, but on flyboy it seems the vocals are way too low in the mix. you can barely hear tinnie tempah.

overall im happy with the album. im sure there will be loads of people saying its swag as it isnt the master piece everyone seems to expect from wiley every time he puts out a record, but its a really solid effort. probably his best to date.

petergunn

plywood violin
overall im happy with the album. im sure there will be loads of people saying its swag as it isnt the master piece everyone seems to expect from wiley every time he puts out a record, but its a really solid effort. probably his best to date.

the problem is by putting out the Tunnel Vision series, he essentially let all of into the creative process (as we know what's on the cutting room floor) and i don't think there's a person on here who doesn't honestly believe they couldn't have assembled a better Wiley record themselves...

gumdrops

from the OMM piece on dizzee -
"his third is the most complete, intense and thrilling British hip hop record ever made. Bar none."

why do i find this difficult to believe?

and what is dizzee thinking when he says:
"that's followed up by some raw and nasty shit, because that's what people know in the environment I'm talking about, and at least when they hear songs like "Sirens" and [heroically radio-unfriendly second single] "Pussyole", they can verify "OK, I can listen to this...."'

pussyhole, lyrics aside, is musically BORING and sirens is good for what it is but compare the *genuine* rawness of that to something like stop dat.

i never read the sirens vid as being about a sexual fetish though. i was thinking of it more as just the rich foxhunting the poor. still, funny how that dizzee has gotten an OMM cover with what im guessing (maybe wrongly, ive not heard the album so...) is his most compromised album. and i cant wait to hear "the unwelcome addition of two of the more rudimentary, blustering, formulaic grime numbers which Dizzee seemed to have left behind him." lol.

that article is what kills originality in music. i feel let down by dizzee's attitude to his past, no love whatsoever, no real recognition of his roots, and as far as i can tell no real desire to progress. what a shame

Logos

Ghosts of my life
and i cant wait to hear "the unwelcome addition of two of the more rudimentary, blustering, formulaic grime numbers which Dizzee seemed to have left behind him." lol.

lol me too.

Wiley was described off handishly as 'flaky' by the journo...no idea what that is supposed to mean in this context but wtf?

Logan Sama

BestThereIsAtWhatIDo
Wiley must have not turned up for an interview with that guy at some point. He sounded like someone who had been left waiting in Limehouse for 3 hours and didnt appreciate it none too much

gumdrops

this writer is the same guy that loved in at the deep end in the OMM if memory serves me correctly. its funny that dizzee says 'everyone loves a little urban story' and about 3/4 of this article is exactly about that. and for all the typically OMM-type puff piece tone of the article, how can they be praising dizzee for his 'properly british' approach to hip hop when hes been seemingly determined on progressively shedding as much of that as possible? im sure that doesnt really matter to many OMM readers but still... i want to hear this album more than ever now. ive a feeling its going to be basically a pop-rap album like black eyed peas or dizzee aiming for the lady sov territory. although it does seem like her flow is better than his these days. public warning>>>maths and english. ;) im annoyed at him for ruining a good arctic monkeys b-side now too, lol.

Last edited:

mos dan

fact music
still, funny how that dizzee has gotten an OMM cover with what im guessing (maybe wrongly, ive not heard the album so...) is his most compromised album.

they had already decided to do the cover on the (*checks email*) 4 January. i know cos i put in a pitch to write it lol. my point is OMM probably hadn't even heard the album at that point, presumably. i expect they heard about the lily allen and arctics collabs and that clinched it.

yeah the offhand dismissal of wiley, the contradictions in dizzee being presented as 'bold' and 'brash' and 'british' when - if 'sirens' is anything to go on - he's actually homogenising his incredible production and mc-ing skills into some misguided idea of mtv-pop/rock/hiphop... i'm not that impressed with the piece. in an alternative universe where i'd done the interview tho it would have just gone really crappily, i woulda spent the whole time asking him dissapointedly where the grime was... :rolleyes:

viktorvaughn

I hate the way it's billed as Hop-Hop also. Now I know this album may be his material closest to HipHop but can they not just brace themselves and use the G word please for fucks sake??

I saw Virus Syndicate at a night somewhere and they were basically billing it as Dubstep with MCs. I don't think the G word was even on the flyer.

It's like the broadsheets want to promote it but are still haunted by some retarded perception of Garage as being shit/'for chavs' so they try and push it as UKHH. It's Grime, get behind it. Not a very good piece really.

I'll have to go and listen to Dizzee's vocal of Icerink a few times to make up for it.:cool:

crackerjack

I hate the way it's billed as Hop-Hop also. Now I know this album may be his material closest to HipHop but can they not just brace themselves and use the G word please for fucks sake??

And wtf is the magazine cover pic all about?