GRIME- breaking news, gossip, slander, lies etc

bun-u

Trumpet Police
needs to release some sort of mix-cd of the highlights from all these mix-cds for cheapskates who cant afford to buy them all or dont have the time/patience to listen to 70 mins of each like me.

Was thinking of doing this a while ago - putting together a mixtape of the mixtape. Lots of good tracks thrown away on bad mixtapes are in need of retrieving - not sure I have the time and patience to get all the permissions to do this though

Blackdown

nexKeysound
yeah i do a metamixtape every year or so, have done one for the first half of his year ft trim, goodz, ny, ghetto and more...

blubeat

blubeat
rinse slowly seem to be reducing grime to a few djs (while really playing up the funky house).
why the funky house? what's with that? FWD a few weeks back was Geeneus playing 2 hours of funky house followed by Benny Ill playing almost two hours of it as well. Crowd definitely wasn't feeling it. I've had to live through it once already and didn't enjoy it then either.

and those djs and logan aside, there's no one else repping really.. westwood? cameo? mak10 and a few others on pyro? grime needs more djs :(

Did the person behind the "AZA T Grime Scene podcasts" used to post here? He was doing mixtapes with fresh dubs with producers consent at the rate of one a month but they stopped after six episodes: http://www.garageband.com/user/thegrimescene/podcast/main

gumdrops

if someone does actually do the grime metamix (ho ho) can they make it actually mixed? ta in advance. someone should do it though. mos dan, cant you get bok bok or someone to do one? ;)

hmmm...

Asher D - The Appetiser
Wretch 32 - Verses 3 And 2 Chapter Wretch (I know you said you weren't on it but still)
Little Dee - Don't Let The Name Trick You
Eskiboy - The Best Of Tunnel Vision (I know you said you weren't on it but still)
Chipmunk - League Of My Own
Thunder Power - Produced By Scorcher (I know you said you weren't on it but still)
Syer Barz - Side FX Section 2
D Power - Power Moves Volume 1
Swindle - The One-Forty Mixtape

perhaps them? apart from that Terror Danjah's Hardrive Vol. 1 is out on monday and it is totally full of bangers instrumentals and vocals...then there's No.Lay's one but I don't know if that's coming out this year anymore

some of the above will probably have boring moments though as they do the girl track, badman track template s***

do you have all the major album releases from this year?

Last edited:

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
yeah exactly, those all look utterly dull (i think chipmunk might have good beats but hes just another generic grime MC IMO). i heard swindles cd is good but i have no idea really. i think ill just wait for JMEs album and jammers next mix cd. or just listen to BBK/newham gens/spooky etc radio sets.

someone needs to release some sort of mix-cd of the highlights from all these mix-cds for cheapskates who cant afford to buy them all or dont have the time/patience to listen to 70 mins of each like me.

Chipmunk - League of my Own
Little Dee - Star In The Making
Duurrty Goodz - Axiom EP
Trim - Soulfood Vol. 2
Skepta - Greatest Hits
Tinchy Stryder - Star In The Hood
Jammer - Are U Dumb Vol. 2
Ghetto - Ghetto Gospel
Scorcher - Thunder Power
P Money - Coins 2 Notes (this is a free mixtape, you won't find it in shops)

Are all of the top of my head and all brilliant. Even out of this shortlist, I can tell you right now that Soulfood Vol. 2, Axiom EP and League of My Own are already pinnacle classics of the genre.

And to all the Chipmunk haters: I know it is painful, but sit down and listen to the whole album. It is pure fire front to back. Few MCs are on Chippy's level right now. I can see how he wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea, but to anyone who is despairing that the grime they loved is being swirled down the shitter, I'd expect you to be saying two Hail Chipmunks before bed every night. He just has such a natural ability and is (somewhat) arguably leading grime into its second generation.

Last edited:

tom pr

And to all the Chipmunk haters: I know it is painful, but sit down and listen to the whole album. It is pure fire front to back. Few MCs are on Chippy's level right now. I can see how he wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea, but to anyone who is despairing that the grime they loved is being swirled down the shitter, I'd expect you to be saying two Hail Chipmunks before bed every night. He just has such a natural ability and is (somewhat) arguably leading grime into its second generation.
Agreed. I think he's the most exciting MC to emerge since Skepta.

mos dan

fact music
you haters are really struggling to pick holes aren't you? that's a lot of good material right there. i'd throw in young dot's 'this is the beginning' too, prob my personal highlight alongside axiom.

i think ppl would be wise to remember the nuts weekend of a thousand clashes http://dot-alt.blogspot.com/2007/09/try-and-keep-up.html, not to mention logan's rajar success, wiley's album (and in a way, the success of diz, kano and lethal too) and another year of trouble-free raves (yes, all five of them) if they want pointers to grime's enduring vitality. and jme selling 6,000 t-shirts, like i said in the blog post!

btw tom, big ups for merking that guy that said 'yeah, but do the youngers *really* look up to wiley rather than biggie though?'. tom just said 'well, i just asked them, and yes they do'. brap!

gumdrops

btw tom, big ups for merking that guy that said 'yeah, but do the youngers *really* look up to wiley rather than biggie though?'. tom just said 'well, i just asked them, and yes they do'. brap!

i remember the days of wiley and kano and lethal b saying what they did wasnt and shouldnt be called hip hop too... :p

ill check out the chipmunk cd then, hope its good. but i think what sick boy calls 'pioneering classic', id most likely call good to great. pioneering classic is quite a heavy title to apply to something. im not saying its all doom and gloom for grime, not at all, just that whats out there to buy isnt quite as amazing as some of you are making out (the 'its all so amazing/grime is at its peak right now' seems to be like a case of wanting it to be all these things rather than it actually *being* these things). i know a good grime track when i hear it, but like bun u said, these tracks are *usually* on otherwise middling to poor mix cds.

Last edited:

benjybars

village elder.
i got that fuck radio yesterday. seriously, that is easily up there with the best sets ever, definelty level with anything, any nasty crew set, any roll deep set, any young man standing with titch and dizzee going at each other, as good as jammers birthday set, anything, its so hype, ghetto is so far ahead now its like when dizzee came out, he's incredible, its disgusting, anyone saying he sounds like dipset or something, you're mad, who in dipset cn spit like that? ghetts would merk anyone in dipset in 8 bars, he's miles ahead, grime is so much better thwan hiphop right now its not funny. hiphop is for old people, all the mcs are in their 30s theres no energy, i was listening on the bus just grinning, massive big wide grin like i haven't got from grime since about 2003. that set destroys everything. chipmunk is big, everyone on it is sounding good, the beats are sounding good.... i just can't get over how amazing it is. newham is definelty holding the crown, tower hamlets got left miles behind...

agree fully.. it's such an immense set... you know how wiley always used to introduce tracks with 'confident with the flow'?? that sums up this whole set. just pure confident flows. i seriously don't see how anyone can listen to fuck radio 5 and not be well hyped about the future for grime (apart from the chronic lack of live events for these guys to perform at...)

also, anyone know how skepta's album is selling??

mos dan

fact music
i disagree that the last months have seen nothing but great mixtapes and immediately im a hater. i said i like doogz, i said i like jammer, low deep. the aftershock album, i like the young dot tape too. I just think the last few months have seen no great mixtapes released. can i say something that is not only positive without being a hater

sorry i meant the use of the word 'hater' to be slightly tongue-in-cheek, which didn't really come across ;)

i think there's more good stuff to come soon. i'm excited about jammer's album, goodz' full album is apparently unbelievable too (blows axiom out the water apparently), i'm sure there's lots more..

Terror Danjah and Chipmunk were reviewed in the Metro today, and Toddla T(!), the latter semiunrelated but what the fuck.

Hard Drive is sick by the way.

gumdrops

woebot on hearing skepta recently on r1 -
On this weeks show I did think Skepta was alarmingly bad! Really if this is the best that Grime can come up with these days it's in deep trouble. Skepta just doesn't have a "voice" like for instance D Double or Wiley do. He also doesn't have any lyrics. And he also doesn't seem to have any beats. A tune I can do without, the rest not. Skepta also kept doing this crucifyingly embarrassing thing, calling MAH "the Grimey Uma Thurman". I put down my saw and cringed, thinking, "Please Skepta, don't say it again," and he bloody did. It was crap the first time.

fuck radio 5 just kills it dead - gumdrops i dont know what version you were listening too, but every mc merks, even lightning (once or twice)

agreed re griminal, someone needs to be getting him studio time, mixtape soon come please!!! and tempa t what the fuck is he dossing on, he needs a mixtape ffs. and then the generals, not even gonna say, the mixtape saga with them has just been too long.

still i dont understand how people cannot be excited about grime right now, its like the youngers are officially usurping the olders, bringing the scene back to an initial starting point, which echoes 2002-2003 period with its ferocity and just fucking good beats.