GRIME- breaking news, gossip, slander, lies etc

crackerjack

Durrty Goodz interview. Teeny bit old now, but he says some interesting things about the music biz, and it's worth checking just for georgie's pics.

http://www.factmagazine.co.uk/da/64185

"This is not Polydor here, we don’t just talk and get nothing done for ten or eleven months."

OMG, just heard this Axiom EP. How long has it been out? That track 3 or 4 in where it speeds up/slows down is just ridiculous.

bun-u

Trumpet Police
We’ve got a gig in Brighton on 30th Nov (this replaces the Leeds gig that never was) and I’m really looking forward to it. We’re also at the Rhythm Factory on 23rd Nov with Trim, (2 steppers) Sunship and (bassliners) T2.

The DC night with DJ Premier last week was funny for seeing the disdain to which hiphop headz view grime. Once ‘premo’ finished, you could see the backpacks rushing for the door. They missed a near legendary hour or so set with ghetto, badness, bruza and chipmunk.

I also love that fuck radio 5 set, if only for getting luka writing passionately about grime again.

Last edited:

mos dan

fact music
We’ve got Goodz playing with us in Brighton on 30th Nov (this replaces the Leeds gig that never was) and I’m really looking forward to it. We’re also at the Rhythm Factory on 23rd Nov with Trim, (2 steppers) Sunship and (bassliners) T2.

heavy!!

Ulysses

Not a half-steppah
Bros Grime/Heiros

I check in with grime occasionally, but noticed this Brothers Grime lp by Eligh & Magi, a couple of months ago. Has some sick tracks on it, good production too. Is this getting any attention from the grime scene at large?

28 Gun Nice Boy

i went back to these to see if i dismissed them too easily (i do think about what other people on this board say and consider the possibility they are right and im wrong) But i still think these are bad albums/mixtapes.

tinchy's album's the worst. whoever says this is brilliant either hasnt heard it or shouldnt be allowed to voice his opinion on music. the first track is bearable, the rest is utter shite. words that come to mind are girly, poppy, carribean, 2 unlimited (all meant in a bad sense). i dare whoever disagrees with me to name a track on this album that's brilliant

skepta's slightly better. duppy and single are nice but old. i really dont care for the rest. in all the reviews of this album ive read it's all about how great a guy skepta is, nobody talks about the tracks on this album, and for good reason.

i very much get the idea that people who say that all these mixtapes/albums are great, never really listened to them. They like the artists and want the albums to be great. I do too, but unfortunately they arent.

i went back to these to see if i dismissed them too easily (i do think about what other people on this board say and consider the possibility they are right and im wrong) But i still think these are bad albums/mixtapes.

tinchy's album's the worst. whoever says this is brilliant either hasnt heard it or shouldnt be allowed to voice his opinion on music. the first track is bearable, the rest is utter shite. words that come to mind are girly, poppy, carribean, 2 unlimited (all meant in a bad sense). i dare whoever disagrees with me to name a track on this album that's brilliant

skepta's slightly better. duppy and single are nice but old. i really dont care for the rest. in all the reviews of this album ive read it's all about how great a guy skepta is, nobody talks about the tracks on this album, and for good reason.

i very much get the idea that people who say that all these mixtapes/albums are great, never really listened to them. They like the artists and want the albums to be great. I do too, but unfortunately they arent.

I really don't want to join the bandwagon of people dismissing your opinion but I really got to stand up for these albums because I actually cherish them both as artifacts and for the music they contain and I'd hate to think you might put people off buying them. Both 'Star in the Hood' and 'Greatest Hits' are terrific LPs. 'Star in the Hood' is definitely "girly, poppy, carribean" (but in a good sense...'Follow' is the brilliant track you asked for, with 'Dance 4 Now' in the same category) and 'Greatest Hits' has only one weak track. I think maybe the reason people have gone on about Skepta's personality and not the actual album tracks is because he himself is the main attraction - even on some of the weaker productions his voice, delivery and charisma make you come back to them. I have to admit though that I was initially dissappointed with both albums, probably because they didn't conform with my expectations of both artists, but they've both grown on me (yep, believe it or not I've actually listened to them both - alot...).

28 Gun Nice Boy

i dont agree that skepta is as crap as woebot says, but hes right in that skepta doesnt really have a 'voice' like DEE or riko or someone. skeptas personality comes from his lyrics and his content, not the sound of his vocals.

Come on, Skepta doesn't have a great voice? He's like a classic Jungle MC but with a flow - he's like MC GQ but with bars. Skepta voice gives you that sense of his authority through it's timbre. Granted his voice doesn't stand out immediatly as distinctive but once you recognise it you don't mistake it for anyone else's.

Riko voice has bass and timbre but all those yard inflections are sometimes just embarrassing. I don't see what's original about him at all.

Logan Sama

BestThereIsAtWhatIDo
Xtra
Dance For Now
Workin 4 Days
Rely On Me
Mainstream money

All sick.

Perfect Timing is the best 'commercial' Grime tune on the CD as well

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
don't you just hate it when people have a differing opinion, makes you just want to shut them up, doesn't it.

oh don't go there. I don't want to argue what sort of genre it is. You asked to name a brilliant tune on it, I gave my opinion - didn't think you'd agree - I was shutting myself up on the question, there's nothing personal about the comments. See also Logan's post, but for me, working for days is just total proof that someone should send XTC to music college if he isn't there already.

gumdrops

ive not got anything to add to the grime mix-cd debate that hasnt already been said but just wanted to say that the wonder mix on prancehalls site is well worth your HD space.

Last edited:

tom pr

also, i'm still interested to hear why you think tinchy's and skepta's albums are brilliant
Skepta's is brilliant because it's fourteen good tracks and one swag one. it's not quite the rush that Axiom or Corner were, but I think a lot of that is because those came out of left-field a bit, where as Skepta's has been anticipated for ages and most of us are already familiar with, if not half the songs on there, then half the beats and bars.

I think it says a lot that despite that, those beats and bars are good enough, and Skepta is good enough at moulding them into songs that the album sounds great. I don't know how you can really deny stuff like In A Corner, Greatest Hits and Ayia Naya 2006...

fair enough polz

just keep a look out on trips to the record shop, listening to radio shows for tracks and upcoming stuff and stay tuned I guess

I like skepta's and tinchy's for different reasons. skepta has mananged to make a solid listen packed full of sick tracks...it's enjoyable, its like you know it and would be sick in a live show. tinchy's is something I've been waiting for for years and surprisingly he doesn't disappoint...it's more a lyrical album...even the goldilocks track murks...lyrically...lol

I get what you means re: 2 Unlimited and all that lol but there's always gonna be a fine line between different music's...esp dance based. for example some techno heads like some grime as it sounds familiar...things bleed over innit?

I also get what you mean re: essential releases as not everything is mad essential in this genre but I don't listen to this stuff 24/7. I don't think you could really...there's not wall to wall sickness plus it'll get boring listening to one thing innit

can I disagree with someone though? new mc's still grew up on US mc's despite also being raised on dizzee and 'em...if you can't hear that when you listen to chip, grim and them...I dunno lol

tom pr

can I disagree with someone though? new mc's still grew up on US mc's despite also being raised on dizzee and 'em...if you can't hear that when you listen to chip, grim and them...I dunno lol
bit bored of this debate now, but yeah, obviously you can't exactly not listen to hiphop.

doesn't mean early grime and wiley, sharkey et al aren't a huge influence on them; griminal, chip and little dee said themselves it was the main one, more so than hiphop.

tom pr

I think it's funny that the only rolling threads that seem to still be active are grime and cricket. Message boards make for odd bedfellows...

Benny Bunter

So Lethal Bizzle's doing a gig in my area soon, and I'm quite tempted. Haven't heard his latest album and I've got the impression he isn't as good as he used to be (am I right?). But I've never seen any live Grime or even played in a club (I'm from the North-East, no-one I know likes Grime...)

So anyway, is it worth a look, or will I be wasting me money?

Blackdown

nexKeysound
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

I listen to grime because its the only modern music which makes me feel all motivated inside.

this video it too much, the lighting, goodz just has fire in his eyes!

i feel exactly the same about grime at tomd, there's such a strength to it.

zhao

there are no accidents
listening to The Bits right now nice! bigup bigup! :D

Northside Cheng on the flip is cool too. those are chinese harp samples eh? the mood is quite subtle and indeterminate, mysterious, non-specific... willow tree swaying in moon-light type shit... :D