GRIME- breaking news, gossip, slander, lies etc

continuum

smugpolice
Grime Wave Review

2480041045_7d76647bc7_o.jpg

Wiley, fresh off the heat from the current chart success of his electro-grime hybrid ‘Wearing My Rolex’, releases his best album since 2nd Phaze. This is the current sound of London and just makes you think of that city the whole way through.

Years of devotion to the art have now left Wiley and entourage with next level production skill and the album shows this off fully. The variety of production style and sound within the perceived narrow constrictions of the grime genre truly dazzle. This release mirrors an ‘up’ in levels seen with Trim’s Soulfood Volume 3 to a professional standard. Perhaps a direct result of the scene seeing bassline music suddenly doing well through appropriating most of grime’s lexicon.

Flowdan sprays some heavy bars on the CD. Been watching the incarcerated Crazy Titch’s Crazy Times Volume 1 DVD a lot recently and the footage of Mr Sandman at the Cobana in Bedford is breathtaking. He takes a lot of flack from other MCs for being old but its all respect for the Big Mic Man.

There are tracks on this album that you could imagine being in the charts. With the current success of the UK Underground sound through the boundaries people are suddenly understanding the level of stamina required in order to achieve real success. The talent is all still there underground, bubbling - more than it has for some time.

What makes this album stand out though is how Wiley has this time somehow managed to meld the true raw grime sound with a commercial one without it sounding weird and strained like the first Roll Deep album ‘In At The Deep End’. All of which signify William and co. maturing their sound, honed now to exactly how they want it. This is stadium music ultimately and grime’s stars are making along roads Dizzee has trod to bigger things. Like Hip Hop in the US grime takes time to find its feet but when it does there isn’t much budging.

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
i have only given grimewave a cursory listen - but - its still gonna be shit, just like umbrella was shit

Umbrella was a pointless collection of mostly songs that had already been released on other people's mixtapes with little else of substance and Grime Wave is a mixtape of just about every unreleased banger he has made over the last few months. You might not like any of those songs, but I don't see the comparison.
(EDIT: Well, unless of course, you are saying you just generally don't like Wiley's music...)

RE: Roadside G's
I haven't heard Gangsta Grime yet, I want to hear it though. I like some of Roadside's MCs, and enjoyed Curb On Smash for that reason, but thought that they seriously needed some help on that CD in the production department. Like seriously needed it. That being said, the tracks I've been hearing on Logan recently from their camp have been good so I've got high hopes for this new one.

Last edited:
RE: Roadside G's
I haven't heard Gangsta Grime yet, I want to hear it though. I like some of Roadside's MCs, and enjoyed Curb On Smash for that reason, but thought that they seriously needed some help on that CD in the production department. Like seriously needed it. That being said, the tracks I've been hearing on Logan recently from their camp have been good so I've got high hopes for this new one.

I do like Gangsta Grime more than the new one, but they're both sick- a big step up from Curb On Smash if you ask me. Keys to The Game is big, but that 2nd album... fuck off.

I like Grime Wave, a lot. It's poppy in places and there's about 3 dodgy songs but yeah. Grime Kid CDQ is worth the money alone.

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
I like Grime Wave, a lot. It's poppy in places and there's about 3 dodgy songs but yeah. Grime Kid CDQ is worth the money alone.

If You're Going Out I'm Going Out Too as well. I was convinced for a minute that was going to just get lost in the sea of unreleased grime tunes.

Umbrella was a pointless collection of mostly songs that had already been released on other people's mixtapes with little else of substance and Grime Wave is a mixtape of just about every unreleased banger he has made over the last few months. You might not like any of those songs, but I don't see the comparison.
(EDIT: Well, unless of course, you are saying you just generally don't like Wiley's music...)

well i was just comparing them on the level of being crap and a being a new cd out from wiley - in what seems like a hundred releases without any of them being singularly memorable - i.e. a classic

i listened to it properly now, seeing continuum's review and i still dont like it. wiley's bars are mostly fine, nothing stood out really, but the productions are insanely average (especially compared to some of the beats in that microphone champions set) and the complete conversion to "traditional" song structure, verse/chorus/verse threw me - Every song is like that, mostly the hooks are shit, and it just seems such a shame that the man who spits over crash bandicoot/16 bar rally etc etc is putting out these kind of songs - i dont think they suit him and i dont find anything he's doing on grimewave particularly innovative or interesting - which is a shame cos im no wiley hater, i love the guy, but this is just crap.

track 2 is ok, nice beat actually, shit hook again - maniac (who i guess is making alot of wiley's beats) is not doing it for me on this or anywhere else recently. all his songs are kind of samey -the productions on grimewave sound quite punchy/big/well produced bla bla bla, but they just arent sick beats, sorry

Last edited:
If You're Going Out I'm Going Out Too as well.

actually i like that beat, not bad verse - no way is it a banger/or a classic or whatever though

i think this is why grimewave has pissed me off so much - wiley has probably got more attention on him now than anytime in the last 5 years or so, his mixtape is likely to be heard by a lot more people, why not make every song a classic - i dunno, just seems like another half assed wiley cd to me, some good tunes some crap ones

As an aside and partially in relation to the Tempa T / Slew Dem stuff earlier, here's a set I upped on grimeforum earlier;

Slew Dem show, Tempz & Chronik going on something fucked replying to some send from Ghetto & Demon, 22/01/06, Jammer turns up as well. There's a big period where Chronik is just shouting, over beats, then it's silent, jacking rhythms endlessly. Proper entertaining.
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=JCUA7YPS

edit; apologies for the grimetapes.com album tags but it's all promotion innit.

Last edited:
actually i like that beat, not bad verse - no way is it a banger/or a classic or whatever though

i think this is why grimewave has pissed me off so much - wiley has probably got more attention on him now than anytime in the last 5 years or so, his mixtape is likely to be heard by a lot more people, why not make every song a classic - i dunno, just seems like another half assed wiley cd to me, some good tunes some crap ones

to be fair to him, it's been ready for months. it's just odd timing, really.

right now, though, the BBK album has to deliver, and so does Race Against Time. They're the albums and should be promoted as such, this is just another mixtape really. I like it, as I said, but that's all it is.

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
to be fair to him, it's been ready for months. it's just odd timing, really.

right now, though, the BBK album has to deliver, and so does Race Against Time.

True, and that makes me nervous. I think Race Against Time has the potential to be good (but like all Wiley material it also has equal potential to be really bad), but I am worried about the BBK album. Mainly because of this Rolex Sweep/Wearing My Rolex trilogy thing, all this pop attention, and the general vibe I got from those Too Many Man bars from the Mic Champ session - I don't know, but I'm bracing myself for In At The Deep End pt. 2.

I hope I'm wrong but the potential for mainstream recognition has historically made grime artists do some weird, weird shit.

Logan

Grime Guru
well i was just comparing them on the level of being crap and a being a new cd out from wiley - in what seems like a hundred releases without any of them being singularly memorable - i.e. a classic

i listened to it properly now, seeing continuum's review and i still dont like it. wiley's bars are mostly fine, nothing stood out really, but the productions are insanely average (especially compared to some of the beats in that microphone champions set) and the complete conversion to "traditional" song structure, verse/chorus/verse threw me - Every song is like that, mostly the hooks are shit, and it just seems such a shame that the man who spits over crash bandicoot/16 bar rally etc etc is putting out these kind of songs - i dont think they suit him and i dont find anything he's doing on grimewave particularly innovative or interesting - which is a shame cos im no wiley hater, i love the guy, but this is just crap.

track 2 is ok, nice beat actually, shit hook again - maniac (who i guess is making alot of wiley's beats) is not doing it for me on this or anywhere else recently. all his songs are kind of samey -the productions on grimewave sound quite punchy/big/well produced bla bla bla, but they just arent sick beats, sorry

I am pretty sure that Maniac only made one tune on Grime Wave. The one entitled Grime Kid. And if you don;t like that you must have shit in your ears.

whatever :p

anyway - SERIOUS LINE UP there - ohmydays, would love to reach that, touch and go though, 4 days before final hand-in and all

tracklisting from that microphone champion set;

skeamz - greengate guys
wiley - club 5
da vinche - what is mine
rudekid - window cleaner
skepta - dustbin man
wiley - ok
spyro - wow
rudekid - ufo mode
spyro - double decker bus
silentcer - regulation
wiley - 527am
crazy bandit - get down rmx
silentcer - killer Instinct
skepta - dti vip
wiley - are you fucking dumb
skepta-ufo
swindle - zumpi hunter rmx
jme - mario flag
misty dubz - from day
wiley - where you gonna hide
jme - jme iq
wiley - club 3
skepta - untitled
wiley - club 7
skepta untitled
wiley - club 12
statix - hey yo
nocturnal - way down the road rmx
wiley - bang bang
wiley - olimpic torch

so many wiley dubs man.

Cornflake

i at first also didnt like the new wiley album. It took be about 3 listens to really get on it. I dont think there is those grime bangers that im used to with wiley. Even im used to wicked intros to the albums that fire me up....this one doesnt so much. But thats all good.

There is really only a couple tunes i dont care for that much, but nobody is talkinga bout 'fire aint burning no more' Thats my fav tune and i dont mind the hook at all. I get the same bobbin vibe as 'where you gonna hide'

cool album. I think im gonna order it.

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
tracklisting from that microphone champion set;

skeamz - greengate guys
wiley - club 5
da vinche - what is mine
rudekid - window cleaner
skepta - dustbin man
wiley - ok
spyro - wow
rudekid - ufo mode