what are your favourite grime slang terms?

MolexRoots

switch!
I tihink it's Alm's House but I'm not exactly sure what it means (Capleton's album "Alm's House"). I won't embarrass myself with a poor guess.

S

simon silverdollar

it is 'armshouse'. means an argument/fight.

and it's one of the main reasons why i LOVE Demon. 'youdon'twannabring armshouse' etc.

for me, that still sends shivers...

i also like how grime artists use 'skank' for dance. i know that's not specifically a grime thing, but i like the idea of phrasing like that keeping the links to ska and rocksteady alive.

MolexRoots

switch!
"I'll bring armshouse to ya mum's house." That made me laugh first time I heard it. November 8th, Forward full retail on Relentless. Cop that disc.

jack

addressing things to 'soundboy'

hoo-ay hoo-ay though what it actually means is beyond me.

Ach!

Turd on the Run
"Trust me I'm NIPSY, your beenie come to try tease me"

Tinchy Strider, baffing me again - Vandross what's the answer?

D

droid

simon silverdollar said:
it is 'armshouse'. means an argument/fight.

and it's one of the main reasons why i LOVE Demon. 'youdon'twannabring armshouse' etc.

for me, that still sends shivers...

i also like how grime artists use 'skank' for dance. i know that's not specifically a grime thing, but i like the idea of phrasing like that keeping the links to ska and rocksteady alive.

As molex pointed out above - i reckon this term does come from the reggae/JA term 'Alms House' which, AFAIK, is a place were people go to 'recover', an 'Alms house' is usually a place that heals the sick, the poor and needy.. a house that gives out 'alms'..

Ive noticed Capleton using it a lot myself, but theres loads of old reggae tunes that use the same term as well. And i think through the polarising filter of the Reggae scriptures, it's come to mean a place of spirtual rather then physical healing.

The Grime/Demon/Dizzee version of it is a fuck-up IMO. They obviously thought that Capleton and his mates were saying 'ARMS-house' meaning a fight or whatever, when in fact they were saying 'ALMS'-house, meaning the exact opposite..

its pretty funny really: - "ill bring arms house to your mums house!" -

how could they get it so wrong???

blissblogger

Armshouse almshouse

almshouse isn't a JA word, though, it's an old English term -- goes back to the Middle Ages -- 1300's acc to my dictionary -- "a private establishment for housing the poor" -- alms itself going back further still and meaning money, food or other donations for the poor or needy -- there's an almshouse in my hometown Berkhamsted (the building is still there, but it's used for something else now)

i'm pretty certain the almshouse/armshouse pun goes back much further than Grime, reckon the conflation/semantic shift must have originated in Jamaica, and thence migrated to London -- there's been jungle tunes with Armshouse in the title

Ach!

Turd on the Run
I always thought it had a more literal meaning: "it was armshouse up in there" - i.e. the presence of guns. Maybe I'm wrong.

Woebot

blissblogger said:
almshouse isn't a JA word, though, it's an old English term -- goes back to the Middle Ages -- 1300's acc to my dictionary -- "a private establishment for housing the poor" -- alms itself going back further still and meaning money, food or other donations for the poor or needy -- there's an almshouse in my hometown Berkhamsted (the building is still there, but it's used for something else now)

i'm pretty certain the almshouse/armshouse pun goes back much further than Grime, reckon the conflation/semantic shift must have originated in Jamaica, and thence migrated to London -- there's been jungle tunes with Armshouse in the title

thats the funny thing about patois isn't it, its something i looked at when i studied linguistics, its chockablock with c18th "legacy" english, about which point I guess Jamaica was abandoned by the UK (cringes as someone is about to hit me over the head with my historical innacuracy). nevertheless the point stands.

originaldrum

from start till done
blissblogger said:

true true,

certainly brings a new twist to dee double's

"nowadays i'm on alms just like a bangle!"

fairly anti-bling eh!

MolexRoots

switch!
I'm fairly new to the grime scene and I've become really taken with D Double E's styling. It doesn't sound like most of the other UKG MCs which is great. My brother, who is a commericial hip hop head, thinks " 'e sounds stoop'd"; hardly an opinion to grab on to. Dancehall has Ele for the lisp, UKG has D Double, hehe.

D

droid

blissblogger said:

Defo right on the first bit.. although they only time that Ive ever heard the term used outside a period drama is on reggae/dancehall records (or on reggae record labels).. which i suppose is why i called it a JA term..

im not so sure that the punning was done in Jamaica though.. ive listened to a decent amount of dancehall/Soundclash/radio shows etc.. over the past 10 years, and ive never heard the term 'arms-house' once.. I reckon it really is just a mistake (although quite an endearing one). Imagine if the More fire crew had being listening to Capleton one day before they thought up their name,.. misheard his lyrics, and called themselves the 'Moth fire' crew instead? i think its that kinda buzz...

My own take on how the term 'Alms-house' is used by Capleton, is that its very similar to a 'balm-yard', ie: a place where healing is done or spells are lifted.. (but im probably totally wrong about this) in Jamaica in general, I think its now just common slang for any act of charity..

"Mi nah lie stilll enuh Natty but a pure almshouse you kip up on dah forum yah. *You caan start a thread about aiding Jamaica/Grenada or Cayman during this tragedy? *You too eaga fi trace oman...use you energy to something more positive star. "

from this brilliant forum:

http://www.jamaicastar.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=new;action=display;num=1095362944

D

droid

MolexRoots said:
I'm fairly new to the grime scene and I've become really taken with D Double E's styling. It doesn't sound like most of the other UKG MCs which is great. My brother, who is a commericial hip hop head, thinks " 'e sounds stoop'd"; hardly an opinion to grab on to. Dancehall has Ele for the lisp, UKG has D Double, hehe.

I love his Mooey Mooey's! Although he seems to be phasing tham out these days..

it reminds me again of Dancehall DJ's - of Snagglepuss and Goofy - or Beenie mans' na na na's'.. those little vocal twists and trademarks that make the MC instantly recognisable to the audience..

Flyboy

First time I heard 'Learn' I thought Dizzee's "arms house" would be where he keeps his arms - a big unmarked warehouse full of guns and weaponry somewhere in East London. And you just know that whoever he's talking to claims they have a warehouse full of guns too but they don't really: "If you can't back up arms house, who the fuck are you?"

Even though I now know better, I can't seem to shake that image.

MolexRoots

switch!
I 'eard a Dizzee / D Double collabo a few weeks ago. Think it's called "Give Me More". Any idea how I can get hold of it or anyone seen it about?

blissblogger

another one that always stops me in my tracks:

"giving brains" as Grimespeak for "giving head"

also, on merkery -- like the way it sounds a bit like mockery -- verbal GBH, murdering other people's egos

originaldrum

from start till done
MolexRoots said:
I 'eard a Dizzee / D Double collabo a few weeks ago. Think it's called "Give Me More". Any idea how I can get hold of it or anyone seen it about?

"give u more" is is the flipside of the first single (stand up tall) from dizzee's new album,

the riddim track is otherwise known as WHEEL and has been majorly caned by many a pirate for as long as i can remember (or get my hands on to be precise)

luka

yeah alms became arms long before demon. capleton was using it in the arms sense.