what are your favourite grime slang terms?

not a slang term, but it deserves mentioning: on the great Lord of the Mics DVD, in all the bits between the battles where MCs say 'yo i'm whoever, this is lotm' or advertise record shops and Garvey's Barber shop, everybody ends half their sentences with ", yeah?" I love it, it seems like a combination of the sentiments expressed in "innit?" (mentioned by ma bro on the "cool" thread) and all those terms like "trust me" and bless and "you know (the koo)". These guys are on intimate terms with their audience, they're neighbours, they understand each other, they're down, know the score etc, yeah? There's so much love in the grime scene to make up for all the hate. (...sorry, took acid the other day)

also, nobody's mentioned this, have they? from a "golden oldie", Wiley's 'I Will Not Lose':

cant see me in the manor
willy just creep through the manor
bare gun man in my manor
niggers dont care in the manor
you might get jacked in the manor
some of them chat shit in the manor
i know, cause i use to be a prick in my manor
learn nuff tings in the manor
stay very low in the manor
no holds barr in the manor gonna show them
the blazing fire, the flame to make i break your set
take it to the neck and i say
you know im gonna take it to the neck and a sket
cause im a veteran
check out this lyrical flex
im a chedda man not begga man
gal wedger man, a bigger man
quite clever man, flop, never man
incase you wanna know, e3 thats a manor
now we're gonna hit em with the slammer

And let's not forget "roll deep", although the only non-Roll Deep member I can think of right now who used it is Shystie (she's underrated but she's a bit of a biter, calls herself a pitbull in a skirt and all). Is rolling deep the exact opposite of flossing, blazing, getting one's shine on etc? ...which reminds me, it's funny how blaze can mean merk as well as shine. "If you wanna be John Wayne on the road then go ahed you will get blazed on the road" not really a contradiction at all though is it

luka

rolling deep just means moving with a lot of people. basically being on street with a crew.

"When I ask Wiley and fellow Roll Deep members to describe the meaning behind their name and the phrase Deep Roller (for those who don’t know) they colourfully explain that it means being low key, minding your own, not being inna peoples business and following your own trail and that’s exactly what these guys are about."
-http://rolldeep.co.uk/crew.html

luka

'don't get it twisted, if you roll deep, you roll deep with your mans dem'

they always lie in those interviews.

S

simon silverdollar

forgot to mention this one:
"shanguli" which is a word roll deep invented. means getting through things by the skin of yr teeth apparently. wiley said in an old rwd interview that his 'devil' mixes are now 'shanguli' mixes.

i love the idea of making up words.

nomos

Administrator
Just looked up road at UrbanDictionary dot com:

Road

A secret and racist term for a black person. Comes from the cockney rhyming slang, road-digger = nigger.

(walking through Brixton)
BARE roads rand 'ere innit blud...

I don't know if this is completely obvious to London folk, or if it's even accurate. But that + blud - which I've heard a bit on the pirates - might be instances of terms being claimed and redefined. Anyone?

rob_giri

Terror Danjah Australis

kinda like the use of 'boy' - boy in da corner, eskiboy etc. powerlessness as realness, undergroundness etc

nick.K

gabba survivor
not so much slang as body-language. it's the way the 'crews' around here hold their phones as if they were microphones when things are heated or they're singin on the street - holding the speaker in their palm and the microphone bit over their mouths - as if they're a correspondent, broadcasting, reporting on what's going on around them and don't care what the person on the other end has to say. i looked for a picture to illustrate this, but it's not happening

hint

party record with a siren
autonomic... - I'd personally be amazed if the scene's use of the word road has anything to do with the cockney rhyming slang - I've certainly never heard the term "road digger" used in that way... and regardless, the current slang use of the word road just means the same as "the hood" or "the streets" so there is a very obvious connection between the slang term and its meaning.

anyway - I'm glad this topic has resurfaced, cos I now have a new favourite:

BIG BOY ON THE BUTTONS :D

mpc

wasteman
"on the buttons" is a classic.

new favourite (as used by trim i think):

shout to logan sama a.k.a. osama bin logan

nomos

Administrator
hint said:
and regardless, the current slang use of the word road just means the same as "the hood" or "the streets" so there is a very obvious connection between the slang term and its meaning.

True, yeah. I was just wondering whether there might be some small rhizomic connection to the other sense of the term - whether through ironic reference or otherwise.

And how long 'til someone grabs bigboyonthebuttons.blogspot.com? :cool:

bun-u

Trumpet Police
I like the strange use of the word 'though'

for instance when somebody says 'Wiley is big though' but the 'though' is not contradicting anything said before

Red Rooster

I'm still new to the grime sound but not the slang!

"You get AIR blud"

"Them man are ANYTHING"

"You SPENG"

"SEKKLE"

They are a few of my faves :D

C

captain easychord

gotta luv the "ls's"
biggle
over biggle
swag
swaggle

and in one hilarious case

swaggle rock, as in "that tune is swaggle rock" lol.