hip-hop, where to begin?

DavidD

can't be stopped
I never much liked their second album, i say go with Outkast's first and third.

these recommendations all seem nice.

Organized Konfusion - Stress: the Exctinction Agenda

I always thought that was incredible.

zhao

there are no accidents
gumdrops said:
no, dont ignore the outkast recommendation ;) - at least get their first two albums - both are maybe their best.

for an extra special journey through the most gutter ignorant rap - check out the j-zone compilation 'ignant vol 1' - its great!

yeah maybe my opinion of Outkast is tainted by the one shit album they put out. it was just limp wristed jazzy BULLSHIT (and I don't necessarily got beef with jazzy)

ah hahaha! j-zone reprazent! I miss dat clown-faced nigga. you seen him? funny lookin cat. his first album, Music For Tu Madre, he made as his senior thesis at NYU, is sum dope shit. ignant... haha... "I can suck my own muthafuckin' dick!" hahaha!!!

gumdrops

i like j-zone's skits more than his music these days, although at the time, i thought tu madre and his other stuff was like pimp-manna from heaven. his ignant mix-Cds are brilliant though.

Dubquixote

Submariner
Yeah we all have our favorite hip hop albums, but NEVER has it crossed my mind to choose ONE track that exemplifies hip hop beyond all others.

But if I had to I'd say

Mobb Deep - "Shook Ones Pt. 2"

(well, come to think of it, maybe "Survival of the Fittest" also off Infamous)

zhao

there are no accidents
Immryr said:
his "highlights so far" are his favorites out of the recomendations that had been made thus far.............

how does he know they his favorites if he ain't heard any of 'em?

zhao

there are no accidents
gumdrops said:
some essential southern albums off the top of my head -
geto boys - we cant be stopped
scarface - mr scarface is back
juvenille - 400 degreez
lil jon - put your hood up (or is it throw your hood up?) and kings of crunk
master p - geto d
mystikal - geto fabulous
three 6 mafia - when the smoke clears
lil wayne - the block is hot
big tymers - i got that work

cool. I got sum uses for this myself. this what I was lookin for in Da Crunked up Southern Rap thread, but ain't nobody stepped up.

that was off the top, but now you can think about it a little longer: anything you'd like to add or subtract from this list?

stelfox

Beast of Burden
gumdrops said:
despite the anti-conscious/backpacker backlash, mos def, common and talib were all good at one point - check out common's single resurrection (the large professor remixes were good too), the black star song respiration (talib, common and mos are all on that one) and mos def's black on both sides album. ignore all talib kweli/reflection eternal albums as they have more or less all been shite.

yeah, i'd agree with that. i don't *hate* "true-school" rap, just don't find a lot of it very interesting, life-affirming or fun. the whole black star album is pretty good. for a really good undie rap experience, go for quasimoto's "the unseen". it's one of my all-time favourite hip-hop albums of any variety and will make you nod your head, tap your feet and laugh like drain in places.

qwerty south

no use for a witticism
anything pre-1990 was the golden age...

ah, the good old days when i would breakdance in the street with my "ghetto blaster".

when i was a lad...

check out ukhh.com and rapnews.co.uk for some new uk ish.

lots of audio on hiphopgame.co.uk too...

3underscore

confucius said:
I guess I'm just slow. :(

confucius - I am guessing that people are recommending things, and then they are being downloaded and listened to by our learning party.

The favourites are the ones liked, so to help with selection going forward.

domtyler

Teasmaid
confucius said:
I guess I'm just slow. :(

Nah I'm just fast, I'd already downloaded stuff and listened to it when I picked out those faves. Since then the flow has increased a little so I'm just working my way through it nice an easy.

Amazing selection of music, I have to admit that I'd heard some of it before, though (and I'm not being funny) I didn't know THAT was hip-hop. Cor...

Anyway you are all educating me and I'm very grateful.

Thank you for the music. :D

gumdrops

adding to the 'undie' canon, i'd add -

mf doom - operation doomsday
madvillain - madvillainy
company flow - funcrusher plus
cannibal ox - cold vein (even though vast aire can grate)
el-p - fantastic damage
edan - primitive plus

martin

----
Dunno if anyone's mentioned these, but get all these albums

Audio Two - What More Can I Say
Ultramagnetic MCs - Critical Beatdown
V/A - Wild Style soundtrack
Schoolly D - Say It Loud, I Love Rap and I'm Proud
Public Enemy - It Takes a Nation of Millions....
NWA - Straight Outta Compton
Geto Boys - Geto Boys
Gang Starr - Daily Operation
Eazy E - Eazy Duz It

Immryr

Kool Keith - Mathew
Kool Keith - Sex Style
Kool Keith - The Lost Masters
Kool Keith - Spankmaster
Kool Keith aka Dr Dooom - First Come, First Served
Kool Keith aka Dr Octogon - Dr Octogonecologyst

for me these are ALL essential listening