hip-hop, where to begin?

originaldrum

from start till done
uh oh - whats the poor guy gonna do know when he hears what the greater hip hop purchasing community are actually into, i can just picture his screwface to Master P's last album

gumdrops

id personally be a bit more wary about anything kool keith-related since the sex style album lol. well unless you REALLY love him to bits

domtyler

Teasmaid
stelfox said:
for a really good undie rap experience, go for quasimoto's "the unseen". it's one of my all-time favourite hip-hop albums of any variety and will make you nod your head, tap your feet and laugh like drain in places.

Nice one. Enjoying this A LOT....

Also liking Kool Keith's sci-fi homages and Wu-Tang's Kung Fu dialogue. Yes, I would like to try your wu-tang style!

Public Enemy shines out too.

minikomi

pu1.pu2.wav.noi
can anyone plot an entire lifetime with themed hiphop tracks?

starting at "when i was a sperm.." onwards..

gumdrops

stelfox said:
yeah, i'd agree with that. i don't *hate* "true-school" rap, just don't find a lot of it very interesting, life-affirming or fun.

i dont much care for that much underground stuff either - i remember 94 and liked it at the time but dont want hear some unthreatening xerox of it forever. but in fairness, you could say the exact same thing about lil jon, dipset, jeezy, and any number of rappers who are popular right now.

whats life affirming, fun or interesting about rappers who regurgitate lyrics about how they love to pump crack, will shoot people for no reason at all, will end your life, etc etc for the upteenth time?

i mean, me personally, i love lil jon, i like nihilistic music, but for quite a while now, all the drug-dealer posturing and all that comes with it has felt quite rote and like a copy of a copy made by people doing it for the sake of it rather than because they have anything new to add to the pantheon of selling crack, etc. avoiding even the moral issues of it all, its just dull.

vxd1

hot springs in the snow
raekwon - only built for cuban linx / gza - liquid swords
viktor vaughn - vaudeville villain
dr dre - the chronic
freestyle fellowship - innercity griots
public enemy - it takes a nation of millions

gumdrops

anyone getting into hip hop should probably know that rakim is generally considered the yardstick for what makes a 'good rapper', not least just because rappers constantly doff their cap to him whether its ras kass, juelz santana or nas. even 50 cent on that game single says something like 'my favourite rapper used to say check out my melody'. rakim isnt my personal favourite, but some rakim songs to check would be -

my melody
lyrics of fury
the ghetto
i aint no joke
as the rhyme goes on
follow the leader
let the rhythm hit em
casualties of war

Last edited:

Eric

Mr Moraigero
more Rakim, can't forget

Microphone Fiend

and a few more, not Rakim

UGK 'One Day' (, etc)
BDP 'Bridge is Over'

don't forget Ol Dirty Bastard 'Return to 36 Chambers', this is classic!! (Genius & Rae too of course)
but don't buy any of his others whatever you do

Duuz

Nas - Illmatic
Outkast - Stankonia

Lots more, but from what I read through, these haven't been mentioned yet.

Last edited:

DonRuba

Stocktown man
domtyler said:
Amazing selection of music, I have to admit that I'd heard some of it before, though (and I'm not being funny) I didn't know THAT was hip-hop. Cor...

Anyway you are all educating me and I'm very grateful.

Thank you for the music. :D

I'm just dying to know where you have lived and what you have listened to before. Can't you please tell the readers of this thread a little bit about your self and your musical background?

No offense, but to me it's just unimaginable that ANYBODY could be this clueless about hiphop in the year 2005. I have a hard time trying to believe you're not kidding. The fact that you immediately think that pretty much all of it is great music after having been into hiphop for two days or something makes me doubt your seriousness even more.

Immryr

gumdrops said:
id personally be a bit more wary about anything kool keith-related since the sex style album lol. well unless you REALLY love him to bits

i would agree with this as well. most of kool keiths more recent stuff is pretty poor. but those albums i listed, imo, arent. theyre amongst my favorite hip hop albums of all time.

Dubquixote said:
Yeah we all have our favorite hip hop albums, but NEVER has it crossed my mind to choose ONE track that exemplifies hip hop beyond all others.

But if I had to I'd say

Mobb Deep - "Shook Ones Pt. 2"

that's my word!

--> some random thoughts:

i've always loved the "i'm only nineteen but my mind is older" line - despite the fact that this line describes the experience of growing up too fast in a "rough" nyc neighbourhood, it carries a mood i think any teenager who is going through some adolescence crisis can relate to. (when you thought you just found out what life is all about, but the "grown-up" world wouldn't take you seriously, remember?) being a white german middle-class kid, i was 18 years old when "shook one pt. 2" came out, and i thought i knew exactly what these words were about...

not to forget the paranoia caused by smoking too much weed - something (not only teenage) heads all around the world know about...

"shook ones pt. 2" may be the most paranoid battle track ever recorded in hip hop history...

there's something very "gothic" about it...

btw: how the hell did mobb deep end up joining g-unit? it's a shame...

Last edited:

Dubquixote

Submariner
danny bwoy said:
btw: how the hell did mobb deep end up joining g-unit? it's a shame...

nah man mobb have always flirted with mainstream success but they'll never fully break through cuz they're just too dark. and anyway that first tune they released with 50 cent was the tune of the summer ('outta control rmx'). sick sick sick liquor sipping hazy summer track. give it another chance. serious head nodding business.

also 'got it twisted' a little over a year ago with the thomas dolby sample was straight darkness. never saw the black chrome rims before that video now they're everywhere. goth shit for sure.

Dubquixote

Submariner
gumdrops said:
adding to the 'undie' canon, i'd add -

mf doom - operation doomsday
madvillain - madvillainy
company flow - funcrusher plus
cannibal ox - cold vein (even though vast aire can grate)
el-p - fantastic damage
edan - primitive plus

ps. all this shit sucks and doesn't even belong in the same thread as rakim and nas. it's almost insulting