Sa-Ra "Second Time Around"

Buick6

too punk to drunk
DavidD said:
...and I'm saying it's not all shit.

What is yr point? Most of the people on dissensus have some degree of familiarity with obscure music. I'm saying that I don't think indie rap, particularly the shit that came out in the late 90s, is deserving of all the bile it recieves.

OK..INDIE RAP...My Opinion:

Problems: Boring rappers, unmaginative lyrical flow, all of it sounding like some sort of 'jazzy down beat vibe', especially amongst white-boy rappers, whose lyrical inflections/subtleties aren't being utilized as well as their black brothers.

Sonically: Duller than deadshit. Most haven't progressed musically beyond that sort trip-hop/downbeat sonique OR they all just go for that RZA Weird-loop style with the same fucken plodding beat.

And interesting thing is where to the Beastie Boys fit into the whole equation, though they have been completely irrelevant to me personally since 'check yr Head', which they've basically dead-horse-flogged ever since....

A BIG problem with the indie HIPHOPPERS/RAPPERS etc is their inability to take cues from techno/electronica/house (on top of other 'roots' or 'standard'styles soul/r'nb/funk/rock/reggae) to emebelish their sounds, something which the more MAINSTREAM rappers/R&B producers have done to remarkable effect, say no more.

So IMHO until they broaden their horizons and sonic skills indie(undie) hiphop just doesn't cut it to me on the whole, but every now an again someone like Edan my tweak my interest. Is that clear enuff for you???

Woebot

gumdrops said:
(which is usually used as an excuse for shoddiness IMHO)

it might be that we're coming from different perspectives. most of the great vocalists in "rock" sound like hoarse dogs. almost none of them (bar scott walker) have what you'd recognise as conventionally "good vocals". it's all about the collision of ambition with the paucity of available resources. thats what creates an interesting tension.

anyway, just you see, by the time they get to release an LP it'll be guest spots ahoy, you'll get your qwality vocals with beyonce over their "sub-dilla" beats- and then there really will be nothing to write home about......

gumdrops

WOEBOT said:
it might be that we're coming from different perspectives. most of the great vocalists in "rock" sound like hoarse dogs. almost none of them (bar scott walker) have what you'd recognise as conventionally "good vocals". it's all about the collision of ambition with the paucity of available resources. thats what creates an interesting tension.

theres plenty of rock singers i like so its not like i listen to ariel pink or TVOTR or whoever and go into soul snobbery mode. 'oh theyre just absolutely awful! these songs would be so much better if destinys child were singing them!' but it might just be that i expect different things from soul/R&B - although the insistence in R&B on absolutely perfect-cum-sterile vocals (particularly in the 'wet' way theyre recorded) turns me off as well. as i said upthread, theres songs where i think sa-ra's voices work well with the material (shimmy shimmy, bitch, frequencies, etc) but on the slower songs where theres more pressure on them to hold a note (like hollywood) it literally sounds like their lungs are sometimes going to give way. i prefer them to pharrell in any case (but even then, i absolutely love the first NERD album)

WOEBOT said:
anyway, just you see, by the time they get to release an LP it'll be guest spots ahoy, you'll get your qwality vocals with beyonce over their "sub-dilla" beats- and then there really will be nothing to write home about......

ha - i dont want guest spots. i think they should be banned except in very special circumstances.

im sending you their cd tomorrow by the way, see what you make of it.

gumdrops

also...

WOEBOT said:
hmmm. iggy pop and john lydon dont have conventionally 'good vocals/voices' but they seem to know their strengths and know how to exploit them really well. they can at least hold a note (which is more than i can say for pharrell) and bring a real commitment/passion to their vocals.

theres plenty of singers in rock i consider to have good voices though - bowie (just listen to wild is the wind), the beatles, colin blunstone from the zombies, van morrison.... but okay, they might not be the norm as such if the norm is the likes of mick jagger, ozzy osbourne, robert plant et al.

its been a long time (c) Rakim

but im back breathing Dissensus air - feels good lol....

don't really know what to add except Sa-Ra are big. People should check a track they did for DJ Mitsu called 'Negative Ion' - my boy BW hit me up with it - now I ain't never heard nothing like that before and I've heard quite a bit. Shame about the cancelled Jazz Cafe gig.

Last edited:

joeschmo

<i>big name bloggers! is that some sort of cartel?</i>

definitely. you all meet in switzerland to confirm aesthetic preferences and plot global music blog domination

<i>what separates it from jay dee?</i>

the cosmic vibes. it's the basslines that are similar. i think jay dee probably does better blines, some of his are just ridiculous, so sub-sub-sub and he really gets them to vibrate. i'm not a jay dee expert but you should check the Jaylib stuff, that seemed like his peak in those terms to me.

the thing about jay dee is he doesn't really finish a lot of his stuff. it'll have an amazing beat and then the rapping is lame, or whatever. sa-ra seem to put whole tracks together better.

i have to say i find sa-ra's vocals a bit smug sounding, but i should probably listen to them more before i spout off any more.

and don't take beyonce's name in vain. been listening to the destiny's greatest hits a lot lately and that is a serious body of work. pisses all over these guys from a great height, as certain big-name bloggers would say. "quality vocals" has nothing to do with it.

Last edited:

DavidD

can't be stopped
Buick6 said:
OK..INDIE RAP...My Opinion:

Problems: Boring rappers, unmaginative lyrical flow, all of it sounding like some sort of 'jazzy down beat vibe', especially amongst white-boy rappers, whose lyrical inflections/subtleties aren't being utilized as well as their black brothers.

Sonically: Duller than deadshit. Most haven't progressed musically beyond that sort trip-hop/downbeat sonique OR they all just go for that RZA Weird-loop style with the same fucken plodding beat.

And interesting thing is where to the Beastie Boys fit into the whole equation, though they have been completely irrelevant to me personally since 'check yr Head', which they've basically dead-horse-flogged ever since....

A BIG problem with the indie HIPHOPPERS/RAPPERS etc is their inability to take cues from techno/electronica/house (on top of other 'roots' or 'standard'styles soul/r'nb/funk/rock/reggae) to emebelish their sounds, something which the more MAINSTREAM rappers/R&B producers have done to remarkable effect, say no more.

So IMHO until they broaden their horizons and sonic skills indie(undie) hiphop just doesn't cut it to me on the whole, but every now an again someone like Edan my tweak my interest. Is that clear enuff for you???

Dude I've read ILM archives, I've been on Dissensus awhile, I've heard it all before. This is hardly a shocking pov to me at this point. Its just gotten where I've realized I don't really care about a producer taking his cues from techno/electronica/house. And many producers a lot of folks on the inernets think were taking cues from eurodance WEREN'T, they were moving from the miami bass/NO bounce axis. I'm totally interested in hearing lots of new sounds enter hip-hop. But to me, how INTERESTING it is doesn't correlate to how much it sounds like old rave music. For instance, my favorite rapper right now is T.I. and he's at his best when he's working with a pretty standard-sounding drums-bass-guitar-organ minimal production combo. Young Jeezy's record is like the most street album this year and its not taking any cues from rave music, really. I know there was this whole Timbo/Neptunes thing, and I'm a huge fan of both of their beats but I don't see it as the be-all and end-all of what can be done with rap.

In the late 90s there were a lot of dudes who wanted to work outside of the street aesthetic and they made a space for it. I don't mean anticon, who I always thought were pretty wanky, or really white-boy shit at all per se. I'm copy+pasting something my friend Sergio wrote a while back about underground in the late 90s:
with the indie movement you had the rise of ny underground pumping out 12"s. Back then you could go to sandbox and their list of new 12"s was 3 times longer than the cds. Yeah there was rawkus but there were so many others doing dope stuff. necro and non phixions' best records came out during that period. Then there was fondle'em with the cenobites, that first arsonists joint, mf grimm, siah and yeshua, brooklyn academy which was largely represented by thirstin howl, raw shack comes out with j-live, the east flatbush record, natural resource and more. In the la you had the rise of all those kids raised at the good life. Acey was dropping shit, cve had a whole bunch of shit coming out, 2mex, awolone, and the shapeshifters were doing all kinds of weird shit with their music. That beneath the surface comp that reps that late 90's LA scene very well. There was nothing out there like farmers market of the beast. In the bay you had the legends and solesides putting out stuff. That early living legends shit before their asr10's got boring as fuck. When cd burners became affordable the scene just exploded. All kinds of kids who never would have been able to release were putting out cds.

There's plenty of shitty underground backpacker rap but just because it doesnt have novation synths doesnt mean its not new or unique or interesting. I mean, KANYE for christsake. But yeah, late 90s had some great underground shit.

(Not to suggest that it was musically competing with the late 90s mainstream, where you had the rise of Trick Daddy/Trina Miami shit, Puff Daddy's neo-disco pop rap, Swizz Beats' lo-fi casio hardcore with Ruff Ryders, DMX, Lox etc., Cash Money's NO Bounce courtesy Mannie, No Limit's Beats-by-the-pound KLC and Mo B Dick piano-g-funk, Hypnotized Minds in Memphis, Suavehouse's rhodes-n-guitars, Dre's comeback, rise of Timbaland, arrival of Lil Jon and Neptunes, etc.)

But what I am suggesting is that the 'it just sounds like trip-hop' thing is cutting short the contributions a bunch of folks were making at the time.

(Ethan Padgett made a post on ILM where he argued that there's a bunch of good underground/indie stuff now. I haven't noticed any big uplift, but I still liked Madvillain last year).

dominic

Beast of Burden
so i waltzed on up to the doorman and said, "i'm on the list"

had weaseled my way onto the giant step list

the doorman then replied, "sony list is this line, all other lists are over there in that line"

it then became apparent that everyone standing outside was on some kind of list

or else they had paid good money for advance tickets

and then i learned that it was hip hop "industry" night at the canal room

despite the rain, a large mob of people stood outside waiting

and waiting

and waiting

and waiting to get in

eventually my friend showed up

and we left

didn't get in

not that i shed any tears, as i had gone there as a curiosity-seeker, a trend-spotter, moved solely by the force of woebot's recommendation

so perhaps i got my just come-uppance

i just feel bad for all the others who didn't get in

gumdrops

i thought they had split up but they have a new album out next month called black fuzz which is meant to feature erykah badu, bilal (who i love), and georgia anne muldrow.... theyre saying its not a real album, which is a bit annoying as theyve released enough non-albums already, but its meant to be a lead up to the 'real' album proper later in the year which i think is still meant to be on kanyes label. fingers crossed both will be good.

crackerjack

i thought they had split up but they have a new album out next month called black fuzz which is meant to feature erykah badu, bilal (who i love), and georgia anne muldrow.... theyre saying its not a real album, which is a bit annoying as theyve released enough non-albums already, but its meant to be a lead up to the 'real' album proper later in the year which i think is still meant to be on kanyes label. fingers crossed both will be good.

Any idea if anyone is pr-ing this?

gumdrops

actually, i got it mixed up, its called the hollywood recordings. no idea whos doing the PR for it though.

from scratchmagazine -

It was reported in October of last year that G.O.O.D. Music’s production trio Sa-Ra Creative Partners had split up. Well, according to Babygrande Records, the original trio is once again back together and about to release an album called The Hollywood Recordings. But don’t get it twisted: this isn’t their debut album. Oh, no. According to Babygrande, this album is just “the prequel to their forthcoming major label album debut.”

Seeing as Sony Urban (their previous label) doesn’t exist anymore, we’re not sure where or how this subsequent real major label debut will actually ever be released. Nonetheless, we’re happy to get a retail release from the trio, even if it as a faux-”prequel” album on Babygrande.

Still, wouldn’t it be doper if artists in general stopped pussyfooting around, waiting for a major label to put muscle behind their projects? Instead putting out half-assed “mixtape albums”, “street albums” and “prequel albums,” what if these artists actually put their full focus and talent behind these independent releases? We might actually have a dope Saigon album by now!

It’s time artists accept that the music business has changed and that they can stop being insecure about being on an independent label. Not every artist is going to get a million dollar budget from Interscope.

Woebot

gawd! eventually. and i second your remarks gumdrops. sa-ra are preposterously obsessed with their own worth.

crackerjack

gawd! eventually. and i second your remarks gumdrops. sa-ra are preposterously obsessed with their own worth.

I think he was quoting from Scratch, but either way, I agree. If you're signed to a major and it hasn't happened within 18-24 months, then gtf outta dodge. Those are your prime years you're sitting out.

gumdrops

sa-ra are preposterously obsessed with their own worth.

theyre just truly gifted shit talkers. they have a rapper's bravado. its their hustling attitude thats let them generate so much hype. shame they dont have enough to back it up yet imo...

wtf?

theyre just truly gifted shit talkers. they have a rapper's bravado. its their hustling attitude thats let them generate so much hype. shame they dont have enough to back it up yet imo...

name me some non-albums they've put out? not maxi singles or E.P's but non-albums? they haven't put out any....only over expensive vinyl E.P's and maxi singles...if this is s*** left over from their debut or stuff there not allowed to record being in contract...then I guess they have to call it a non-album

if the music's good, as always, they'll be complete silence...lol...and that's all that really matters...really lol

gumdrops

Eps, non albums, whatever, its all the same. i doubt all that early stuff (the 'demos') got leaked by accident. they knew what they were doing. the point is theyve released a lot of bits here and there and its all been of varying quality. i cant say anything theyve released has been stunning from start to end, the EPs have always had tracks that werent that great, or an instrumental they could knock out in their sleep. its fine, i still sift through it all for tracks like downtown or death of a star, but for a group so obsessed with their own hype and importance and apparent genius (that theyve been sitting on for what is now years), there hasnt been enough to substantiate it.

they can do what they like imo

sounds like they've been in typical label hell under slightly binding contracts...it happens

as for boasting...the s*** I've heard from them is more than worthy of the hype though I think they could make more p if they just produced and did BV's on their tracks for pop stars...cash in on the image and sell, sell, sell...! lol

I've never been able to get a hold of these 'intentionally' leaked tracks though - can anyone hook a brotha up?

gumdrops

sounds like they've been in typical label hell under slightly binding contracts...it happens

as for boasting...the s*** I've heard from them is more than worthy of the hype though I think they could make more p if they just produced and did BV's on their tracks for pop stars...cash in on the image and sell, sell, sell...! lol

I've never been able to get a hold of these 'intentionally' leaked tracks though - can anyone hook a brotha up?

but theyve been producing for other artists for years - maybe theyve just been giving heavy d, pharoahe monch, goapele and everyone else their leftovers and saving it either for themselves or for the a-listers, but none of it has been that inspired. its all been a bit hit and miss. i think theyre somewhere between incredibly overrated by their boosters and underrated by well, the rest of the world. but fair enough, theyve been shafted by sony and kanyes label and industry politics. i dont think their time 'has passed' or anything. its actually probably better they didnt release anything during the hype period. now people can judge it fairly. i just hope it lives up to the hype. cos people have been waiting for them to come with something proper for ages now.