cracked out house

fe7affe

simon silverdollar said:
i think he's more talking about a sub-style/recent trend within minimal techno.
ah yes, sorry, i was led astray by the follow-up posts.

anyway, i'd recommend jichael mackson. his latest album-length 12" is very slow, grimey and sweaty, utterly fucked up but at the same time immersive - and it's all done on a dub techno template, a massive effort to save the genre from its aseptic netlabel ghetto.

mms said:
yeah its sort of maximal techno
have you heard the 2rabimmel 2rabummel compilation on areal?

mms

sometimes
kingofcars said:
for those interested, ghostly has sound clips of the whole 2 am/fm record online:
http://ghostlyinternational.com/1.0/spectral/spc034.shtml

and it definitley does have a bit of a new beat feel, esp "maiden".
james cotton's last full length was similarly awesome...also worth checking out is that TnT record he did w/ tod osbourne.

yeah its alright that tnt record some of it is a bit obviously reverential
i think the mood i mean is from tcb onwards like

Tim F

As if on cue, the Kompakt newsletter announces that Grummich has a mix-cd coming out on Shitkatapult:

"MIX CD - CLUB MARIA, BERLIN. PETER GRUMMICH TAKES HIS TOOLS AND MAKES NOT ONLY THE CAPITAL TREMBLE ...FEAT. DEADBEAT, ARK, AUDION, SERGEJ AUTO, J. COTTON, J. STARLIGHT, LEO CUBANERO, GRUMMICH HIMSELF AND OTHERS."

kingofcars

yeah, you're right dominic - the sound palette is very similar to early acid trance (like djax records circa random xs - 'give your body'), but the grooves are less rigidly metronomic...i only mentioned new beat because it was discussed earlier, and the track 'maiden' kinda taps into to that dirgey, spacey new beat vibe (and is surprisingly slow for current dance music)...

hamarplazt

100% No Soul Guaranteed
Early nineties minimal trance had itself a new beat feel. Both new beat and trance have roots in EBM, so it's hardly surprizing.

atomly

atomiq one
I'm definitely a big fan of the recent return to "gritty" in house music along the lines of Audion, James Cotton, The Dirty Criminals, etc...

If anybody wants to hear some, here's a mix I did last year:

atomly live @ happy ending, nyc (2004/08/20) [mp3]

Tracklisting:
telex - moscow discow
osborne - bout ready to jack
adonis - no way back
dbx - losing control
akufen - draincells
ellen alien - trash scapes
atomly - ask
aphex twin - windowlicker (acid edit)
atomly ft dj .com - donkeypunch
dbx - rubber ducky
thomas brinkmann - argonauten
thomas brinkmann - tina
james t. cotton - help me think of one
audion - titty fuck
mathew johnson - decompression

mms

sometimes
kingofcars said:
yeah, you're right dominic - the sound palette is very similar to early acid trance (like djax records circa random xs - 'give your body'), but the grooves are less rigidly metronomic...i only mentioned new beat because it was discussed earlier, and the track 'maiden' kinda taps into to that dirgey, spacey new beat vibe (and is surprisingly slow for current dance music)...

yeah but the tracks change all the time like the villalobos/ eulberg style but in a thuggish way.

blunt

shot by both sides
vache said:
The new Dandy Jack album on Perlon is in this vein and quite excellent. "Arabs in the Dessert" is an astounding track.

I finally got round to buying this yesterday - Holy Mother of Fuck. It *is* astounding.

But I got it on vinyl - any chance someone here can hook me up with an MP3 version of the album, so I can listen to it on my iPod..? :)

ambrose

i second 2rabimmel as a brilliant comp of skronking grinding monster tech house

and for the dirge gloom stomp - oppressive stamping - try wasserman - "ende der schonzeit" on auftrieb.

that is awesome. also, to be honest, if you just get every single speicher 12", you will end up with about 1/3 brutal buzzing stomp :)

turtles

in the sea
bleep said:
The new Villalobos on Cadenza is nice. Four slices of sprawling wonkyness.
Nice?? The new Villalobos is the best thing he's ever done and one of the most intensely interesting things I've heard in a good long time. It doesn't really make sense in in terms of its obvious referents and I still haven't figured it out properly (in other words, it's brilliant).

vache

bipedaldave said:
Nice?? The new Villalobos is the best thing he's ever done and one of the most intensely interesting things I've heard in a good long time. It doesn't really make sense in in terms of its obvious referents and I still haven't figured it out properly (in other words, it's brilliant).
It is really, really good, but I still think the height of his sound is the title cut of Thé Au Harem D'Archimède and the track "Hello Hallo" from that album. The way that those tracks drift in slowly and then lock in about three minutes in is totally unique.
Has anyone heard the new James Din A4 on Esel? He's made career on weird compositions, but this is one of the odder records of even that lot.

mms

sometimes
the new james t cotton - the same guy who did 2ampm is a monster too - basically mashed acid again with some mental use of the 606 cymbal ride to add some ruff high end noise