DUBSTEP- breaking news, gossip, slander, lies etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keith P

draw for the drumstick
jutboyd said:
On the subject of crowds, I played a small record store gig this weekend here in Texas, and they ate it up. It was the first bit of dubstep to tingle most of their ears and most everyone really got into it. I kinda ran the spektrum of dubstep sounds from Toasty to Loeafah to Boxcutter and Vex'd. It was well received enought that we are going to do another in-store with just dubstep. Looking forward to spreading the sounds more.

Where in Tx do you live? We should link up.

Keith P

draw for the drumstick
adruu said:
theres crew in austin (grommit) as well...and sdfone in houston

I didn't know either of them had taken up dubstep. I stillk have one of Grommits Dn'B mixes from AGES ago.

jutboyd

Dubscout
I'm living in San Antonio. Just got in touch with Bob Grommit up in Austin this week, he has been having a tuesday night dubstep/dnb session up there. Said he might be looking for a venue just for dubstep. I'm doing the same here in S.A. Looking for a venue for a dub monthly, getting close to locking it down, which i'm excited about the folks certainly seem up for it.

jay-s

Inca March said:
makin it dubdubdub narrows down the possibilities...
i'd like to see a bit more garage/2-step influence there...
fwd used to be a garage club when it was at velvet underground. there were girls there an everything...
i agree, more 2 step influence would be nice. it's nice to have tracks with a lot of space, but i need beats to keep me interested. it would also increase the chances that people will actually dance to dubstep.

jutboyd

Dubscout
I don't know if I've been stoned for the past year or what, but was listening back to an old Youngsta set as he was playing Ancient Memories, I was thinking how great the track was etc... then realized has this track been released? and if so how did I miss it. I know the remix is not out, but did the original ever surface anywhere? :confused:

orson

jutboyd said:
I don't know if I've been stoned for the past year or what, but was listening back to an old Youngsta set as he was playing Ancient Memories, I was thinking how great the track was etc... then realized has this track been released? and if so how did I miss it. I know the remix is not out, but did the original ever surface anywhere? :confused:

no .. i quite shure its not released yet !! if so i would have missed out big time :)

Blackdown

nexKeysound
jay-s said:
i agree, more 2 step influence would be nice. it's nice to have tracks with a lot of space, but i need beats to keep me interested. it would also increase the chances that people will actually dance to dubstep.

the balance between space and dancing is definitely an interesting one. sure velvet rooms was 'garage' but then back then everything was 'garage' even Pay As U Go Cartel ft Slimzee and Maxwell D live at Forward>>.

Burial's forthcoming LP on Hyperdub should be interesting if you like dubstep with emotive depth and old-school garage swing.

Keith P

draw for the drumstick
jutboyd said:
I'm living in San Antonio. Just got in touch with Bob Grommit up in Austin this week, he has been having a tuesday night dubstep/dnb session up there. Said he might be looking for a venue just for dubstep. I'm doing the same here in S.A. Looking for a venue for a dub monthly, getting close to locking it down, which i'm excited about the folks certainly seem up for it.

Keep me informed. Ima try to come down to austin if anything is going on.

shudder

re: dancing? What *is* dancing like at dubstep nights? Speaking as someone who only knows anything garage/2-step-y from downloading radio sets etc., and for whom most dancing has involved top 40 hip hop and dancehall and reggaeton, it's a little bit hard to see how dubstep dancing might work...

Blackdown

nexKeysound
somewhere between nodding and skanking, building upwards sometimes to full on shuffle ... then the b-line drops and there's hands in the air-style chaos for a sec.

bassnation

the abyss
Blackdown said:
somewhere between nodding and skanking, building upwards sometimes to full on shuffle ... then the b-line drops and there's hands in the air-style chaos for a sec.

its interesting when youngsta takes it from half step to a "normal" garage rhythm - all of a sudden the space starts getting filled with percussion. that seems to get the dancefloor going.

Blackdown

nexKeysound
bassnation said:
its interesting when youngsta takes it from half step to a "normal" garage rhythm - all of a sudden the space starts getting filled with percussion. that seems to get the dancefloor going.

yeah what's great right now is that there's 4/4, halfstep, more conventional kick-snare-kick-snare rhythms and all shades in between. not many scenes have such rhythmic diversity. i'm really enjoying it.

but the way each of them add or take from the sense of momentum is interesting. i wrote about the different takes on this here.

Last edited:

echevarian

babylon sister
At Dub War 4 I watched Joe Nice drop Conference,

the place went nuts, I was to busy doing my little skank

to really notice that the guys at the front of the stage were bouncing.

It all depends on the energy of the night and the DJ.

nomos

Administrator
if dubway or any of the dubstep forum people are coming by here...

what's happening with the forum? are you making any progress in fixing it?

nomos

Administrator
nice. did you notice there are about 1100 members now? insane. before breezeblock it was 400 or 500, i think.

Status
Not open for further replies.