OK time to fess up

IdleRich

IdleRich
I like that Chris Isaac one which is called, I can't remember what it's called but I've got it on seven inch and the video has him on a beach with some supermodel. I also like Boys of Summer by the guy from the Eagles.

I also love "I think we are alone now" by Tiffany and "I'm your Venus" by... the Bangles?

These were both good sixties tunes originally (especially Venus). Maybe the songwriting shines through.

Rambler

Awanturnik
The Carpenters break my heart every time.

I used to be into Kingmaker, and have to restrain myself every time I come across Two Headed Yellow Bellied Holedigger in my local Oxfam. :eek:

michael

Bring out the vacuum
confucius said:
did we have a guilty pleasures thread before? wonder how I missed it.
Sorry, I didn't get it quite right. I went hunting and it's specifically about cheesy dance tunes:

http://dissensus.com/showthread.php?t=1911

confucius said:
Erasure with Diamonda Galas? wow that makes... no sense.
I didn't mention it's also produced by Thomas Fehlmann, who's been mixed up with the Orb for years and years (now full time member I think) and has done things on cool labels like Apollo, Kompakt, and Plug Research. Quite a strange time for them, I think they'd fallen well under the radar after doing that Abba tribute EP.

3underscore

IdleRich said:
I like that Chris Isaac one which is called, I can't remember what it's called but I've got it on seven inch and the video has him on a beach with some supermodel.

Wicked Game. Is that meant to be guilty? jeez - you people are seriously hipster types if you are ashamed of stuff like that. Mind you, dissensus is full of this type of posing a lot of the time. Controversy that some people like Woebot whose eclecticism and opinion is lauded, actually says he quite likes a band that has broken through mainstream radio?

big satan

HA-DO-KEN!
when i played einsturzende neubauten's drawings of patient OT to a friend he told me i should be ashamed of myself for listening to music like that. i'd put it on because i thought he might like it!

that i'm your venus song was by bananarama i think. i used to fancy the one dressed as a devil in the video, i was about 8 at the time.

Last edited:

Melchior

Taking History Too Far
michael said:
Aimee Mann's 'Give Up' from the Magnolia soundtrack.

What's wrong with that exactly? CHOOOOON!!!

Anyway, one of my all time favourite records is Operation: Mindcrime by Queensryche.

stelfox

Beast of Burden
3underscore said:
Wicked Game. Is that meant to be guilty? jeez - you people are seriously hipster types if you are ashamed of stuff like that. Mind you, dissensus is full of this type of posing a lot of the time. Controversy that some people like Woebot whose eclecticism and opinion is lauded, actually says he quite likes a band that has broken through mainstream radio?

absolutely the most sensible thing i've read here in about 6 months. this sort of nonsense is pretty much the reason i gave up posting here for ages.

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
3underscore said:
The phrase 'razor thin eclectic tastes' (I think Ishkur coined it, but I might be wrong) always seems to sum it up pretty well...

IdleRich

IdleRich
I'm getting slated for saying Wicked Game is a guilty pleasure? I'm saying I like it at least aren't I?
Venus was done by Banarama in the 80s, it was originally by Shocking Blue (Dutch band who did Send Me a Postcard and Lovebuzz) and loads of other people have covered it (Tom Jones I think maybe, I don't know).

Buick6

too punk to drunk
IRON MAIDEN are another guilty pleasure. You should check out their 5.1 DVD's, especially 'Rock in RIO' they fucken kick more arse than the MC5, and the 150,000 Argentinians defiantly chanting 'Meden, meden' is hilarious.

Melchior

Taking History Too Far
Buick6 said:
IRON MAIDEN are another guilty pleasure. You should check out their 5.1 DVD's, especially 'Rock in RIO' they fucken kick more arse than the MC5, and the 150,000 Argentinians defiantly chanting 'Meden, meden' is hilarious.

don't really feel guilty about it however. I'd feel guilty about listening to something that's ok musically but dodgy as fuck - early skrewdriver etc. But not about listening to Maiden.

kennel_district

henry s said:
it's tough to find true guilty pleasures nowadays...irony has made even the crappiest stuff laudable in some semi-respected circle...but here goes:

Journey - "Don't Stop Believin'"
Monkees - "Daydream Believer"
Nitzer Ebb - Belief LP

(for some reason I'm ashamed of things involving "belief")

and way more Sheryl Crow than a man should cop to...including the duet she did with Kid Rock...oh, and while we're at it, all of Kid Rock's ballads...

oh god, I'm ruined...ruined!!

if listening to journey is a guilty pleasure then the burden of guilt is going to overwhelm me.

'101 Damnations' by Carter USM

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
Melchior said:
don't really feel guilty about it however. I'd feel guilty about listening to something that's ok musically but dodgy as fuck - early skrewdriver etc. But not about listening to Maiden.
Yeah... 'guilty' is probably the wrong word. 'Liable to get you in trouble with the Dissensus taste fascists' is more what we're after. I mean, can you imagine what would happen if people found out that I sometimes listen to Pendulum of my own volition?

stelfox

Beast of Burden
if you feel guilty listening to daydream believer by the monkees, there is something seriously, seriously wrong with you.

PeteUM

It's all grist
shykitten said:
do you mean 'Venus' by Bananarama? i have a thing for that, although i don't own it. i can't explain it as i loathe Bananarama/SAW otherwise, but i have a fantasy of discovering some tatty 12" single of it in a charity shop, taking it home... :eek:

QUOTE]

Does liking the Shocking Blue original make it any better? Personally if we're talking embarassing Bangles then I'm a "Walk Like An Egyptian" kinda guy.

jenks

thread death
this thread reminds me of a game mentioned in a david lodge novel where english profs each have to fess up to something they've not read. it is all fine until he introduces it to american academics who become hugely competitive leading to one eminent academic finally admitting to never having read Hamlet thus leading to career destruction.

nearly everything so far has been 'tastefully' guilty, i.e. slightly poppy/ m.o.r for a supposedly avant-ish board.

as a teenager i used to argue vociferously that the alarm were the best band in britain (still love it when 68 guns comes on the radio)

when i got an ipod i downloaded all the peter gabriel genesis albums and listen to foxtrot at least once a week

then there's prefab sprout, josh rouse, santana ...

minikomi

pu1.pu2.wav.noi
maybe it should have been 'what music do you like purely for nostalgic reasons?'

which seems to be what this thread is skewing towards ;)

for me.... snotty recess & lookout records stuff like quincy punks, FYP, the crumbs, screeching weasel,
blanks 77.....

poppy 3rd wave ska-punk.. less than jake, mu330, potshot, assorted jelly beans asian man records stuff :)

the self titled mu330 album in particular is a great example for me.. really love this album, but got their most recent and didnt dig it at all, so one has to wonder if it's simply because the songs are ingrained in my psychie or if theyre actually good. whatever!

labrat

hot on the heels of love
stelfox said:
if you feel guilty listening to daydream believer by the monkees, there is something seriously, seriously wrong with you.
here fucking here... same as with the Carpenters.
(off topic a bit but someones mentioned it "send me a postcard" by shocking blue is well worth a listen)