OK time to fess up

Gabba Flamenco Crossover

High Sierra Skullfuck
I've got a serious penchent for happy hardcore (the candy raver side of hardcore that was left after jungle split off in 94) - I think I mught actually prefer it to the golden age 92-era hardcore. partly cos it's what i grew up with (coming from the north where the junglist sound was never as big as it was in london) but partly cos it just sounds more mental.

I've also developed a fondness for stoner rock that has so far has stayed within hipster-delineated boundries (Neil Young, Sabbath) - but i can see myself getting well into the likes of Aerosmith & the Allman Bros if I let it off the leash. I blame last years tapestry festival for this, along with watching Dazed & Confused too much whilst stoned.

jenks

thread death
Jenks, I'm sorry mate, but the Alarm really is beyond the pale. Here's a revolver, you know what to do. (Did you know that the bass player from the Alarm used to follow the Mission on tour after he was rich and famous? Wild and ker-azy!)

lol indeed - don't listen to 'em now you understand but i thought i'd throw a name in the ring that wasn't 'tasteful' in any way

"where were you hiding when the storm broke..." he hums to himself as this thread continues to lay waste to his record collection hmm :confused:

martin

----
2stepfan said:
I saw [Jack 'the prat' Johnson] on the Brits last night, never heard him before. Fan-fucking-tastic music, loved it to bits, going to investigate more.

Prefab Sprout and Santana need no defence, surely?

You know, for someone with such great taste in reggae, you astound me with your other selections! Please tell me this is some sort of sick joke

BSquires

Most of my friends think most of the music I like is embarrassing. Still in my mid-teens I was a big fan of one of the most disreputable genres in rock music. 80’s Neo-prog. The first gig I went to was Marillion and I was keen on Pallas, Pendragon, IQ and Twelfth Night. I was even (briefly) in The Enid's fan club…

Not played most of this stuff for 15 years, but I’m still partial to ‘Live and Let Live’ by Twelfth Night and ‘The Wake’ by IQ… oh dear, oh dear… I'll get my coat.

labrat

hot on the heels of love
BSquires said:
Most of my friends think most of the music I like is embarrassing. Still in my mid-teens I was a big fan of one of the most disreputable genres in rock music. 80’s Neo-prog. The first gig I went to was Marillion and I was keen on Pallas, Pendragon, IQ and Twelfth Night. I was even (briefly) in The Enid's fan club…

Not played most of this stuff for 15 years, but I’m still partial to ‘Live and Let Live’ by Twelfth Night and ‘The Wake’ by IQ… oh dear, oh dear… I'll get my coat.

heavens above and i thought my penchant for Wendy and Lisa was unforgivable!

BSquires

labrat said:
heavens above and i thought my penchant for Wendy and Lisa was unforgivable!

I'm actually fairly convinced my admission will be hard to beat - Wendy and Lisa doesn't come close :eek: :eek: :eek:

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
confucius said:
Rambler, I challenge you to find ONE person on this board who likes the following:

Wynton Marsalis
Kenny G
Phish
Dave Mathew's Band
Blink 182
Elliot Smith

would list much much more but have to get back to work...
Rambler wins, then. I have no time for any of the others, but Elliot Smith is great.

Hmmmm... if this is getting competitive, how about Dire Straits? They really are a guilty pleasure, in that I'm get annoyed with them and can point out everything that's wrong about them at the same time as I'm getting irresistably seduced by the cheesiness.

zhao

there are no accidents
I have selective eye-sight. what? did someone post something completely unacceptable and just plain WRONG? sorry I didn't see it.

2stepfan said:
Who was it said they liked trance? Confucious? What sort of trance? The good old fashioned 95-era trance or the new, usually terrible trance?
QUOTE]

no no, don't get me wrong. I'm completely fed up with the lifeless set of cliches known as trance. this is once in a long long time... usually when I'm driving long distance while getting high - I like some classic psy-trance.
actually, the only relapse since my raver days that I can recall was when me and my girl was driving all night to San Francisco, and I happen to have a Hallucinogen CD in the car... sounded awesome at 4 AM going 95 (no chance of falling asleep at the wheel).

there's also this really minimalist trance disc on Swim (early 90s) that I like a lot... fuck if I remember what it was called.

ordering Blue Savannah offa amazon :)

Freakaholic

not just an addiction
BSquires said:
Most of my friends think most of the music I like is embarrassing. Still in my mid-teens I was a big fan of one of the most disreputable genres in rock music. 80’s Neo-prog.

Does Dream Theater count? I think I liked that "Images and Words" album a little too much back in 9th grade. Never stopped though...

Also, just remembered: Neil Diamond.

Both of those its not so much THAT i like them that warrants shame, its how much i have liked them, and continue to.

zhao

there are no accidents
I have a friend who likes Neil Diamond. I've never understood the appeal. pretty fuckin' embarrassing if you ask me. to my mind, and my view may be skewed or immature or plainly wrong, he's not THAT far from Barbara Steissand. maybe if she had a baby with Rod Stewart or something.

can't believe someone asked why Dave Mathews Band is considered by those with brains to be some of the most loathsome vile garbage in the history of music making.

BrokenFist

Crackin Skulls
confucius said:
can't believe someone asked why Dave Mathews Band is considered by those with brains to be some of the most loathsome vile garbage in the history of music making.

I misread the original post. I asked why because I thought the poster meant that he considered Dave Matthews Band to be a guilty pleasure.

Yeah, I'm retarded.

alo

I always can't help loving Usher's singles: 'Pop Your collar', 'You Remind Me', 'Yeah', that ballad that came after that got to number 1.
50 Cent, Babycakes, and that new Shakira tune aswell. Loved Ciara, too.

Also, working in hot, sweaty kitchens where adrenaline becomes your greatest friend/foe, taste tends to get blurred round the edges til' everyones singing the same tune. (Usually over and over again) So I know every nook and cranny of The Darkness' 'Permission To Land' and Busted's first album, (which was fucking great!) and a bit of Stars on 45. (surely the best bits of the 10 best songs the Beatles ever recorded, squeezed into one song = best song ever, right?)

Just on a side note, someone i used to work with in a kitchen once told me- no shit- that he didn't listen to 'Black Hiphop'. Theres the barometer right there. :eek: :confused:

swears

preppy-kei
I got into dance music at age 14/15, but before that I was a bit of a rocker. I thought Nirvana were so cool, Kurt Cobain was like a character in a story, he didn't seem real at all. This was post-suicide, so there was a mythology around them already. I can't hear Nevermind without wincing now.

Poisonous Dart

Lone Swordsman
The Minneapolis Sound...

Anything relating to Prince or his cohorts/bands/side projects and production...especially between 1976-1988. The sound of his arrangements, and production heavily influenced Pharrell Williams as well (I mean just LISTEN to his tracks). Also any late 60's early 70's classic rock/soul/R & B . One.

wonk_vitesse

radio eros
"Wynton Marsalis
Kenny G"

i hear yer,

Wynton made some great recordings in the 80s of C20th trumpet concertos, defined a trumpet sound all his own. Don't rate the Jazz though,

As for Kenny G, well, despite his loathsome stylings, again, he did define a certain sound, his 'hook', and for musos like me he became an adjective. I guess because of that he must've done something pretty original and defined.

Was reading about Sean Rowley's "Guilty Pleasures" and it just sounds crap, goin on about Babara Streisand, it's shit and always will be. Personally i dig alot of old rave music c'91, because it's funny and has this 'we've discovered a sampler' feel, not because it's great. And yes I agree with Gabba Flamenco Crossover , we're due a propa happy hardcore revival, none of this bangface bollox, the original stuff is and was far more mad.

Last edited:

swears

preppy-kei
Poisonous Dart said:
Anything relating to Prince or his cohorts/bands/side projects and production...especially between 1976-1988. The sound of his arrangements, and production heavily influenced Pharrell Williams as well (I mean just LISTEN to his tracks). Also any late 60's early 70's classic rock/soul/R & B . One.

Why is this a guilty pleasure? There's been a pretty big critical reappraisal of Prince in the last few years.

jenks

thread death
Prince never been away in this house - sign o' the times, black album, lovesexy all still doing the business.

A true guilty pleasure? I've just re-uploaded Foxtrot by Genesis to my iPod!!!