METAL! Discuss

bassnation

the abyss
droid said:
If you think they were bad you should check out 'Fishbone'...
xyxnervous.gif

jesus droid, i'd blocked out that memory - you've just brought it all rushing back!

mms

sometimes
anyone heard a dude called alexander tucker
hes on the atp label - loops his guitar up and fucks about with the loops etc and build s these grim doomy/folky songs over the top - excellent
saw him live at a 'loads of people on the schedule' gig and he was easily the best thing on there.

Freakaholic

not just an addiction
First album i ever bought was Motley Crue's Dr Feelgood in a flea market in rural amish Indiana.

I seriously think that fact alone has affected my life more than any other thing. The next couple of albums to get: Def Leppard Hysteria and Metallica Justice for All....

I still listen to and regularly buy metal of all sorts. I couldnt imagine my record collection without Shout at the Devil.

recently, i began buying nordic metal vinyl as well, and i gotta say i am very fond of Mayhem and Bathory.

Gotta say though, the worst thing to see is a metal band selling out (metallica) and hence influencing an entire generation of potential metal bands into shit like puddle of mudd and creed.

still gotta say though "bring the Noize"!!!

jd_

bassnation said:
sounds like a typical night in hoxton to me.

I guess the sound made it feel different than just random bar fights. It was making my teeth hurt. I was amazed people would listen to it, I guess that you could hear what was going on buried underneath. It was probably my imagination that it was the frequency causing the fighting, but I like that version better.

big satan

HA-DO-KEN!
Darkthrone are pretty much my favourite metal band. Pig Destroyer are fucking fantastic too, apparently Jessica Rylan has been joining them on stage recently, which sounds weird and interesting.

Immortal
older Burzum
Mayhem
Gorgoroth
Slayer
Abruptum
EYEHATEGOD
Boris
Om
Sleep
High on Fire
Enlaved
Entombed
Napalm Death
Brutal Truth
Bolt Thrower
Nile
Obituary
Blud Aus Nord

Obviuosly older stuff like Sabbath, AC/DC, Motorhead, Budgie, Blue Cheer etc but I kind of think of that stuff as heavy rock more than metal.

daren

A friend gave me an Unsane album recently. It was quite good! But I'm somewhat partial towards metal.

henry s

Street Fighting Man
most of the bands I liked as a 70's kid were in the neighborhood of heavy metal, but I wouldn't listen to them now if you paid me:

Nazareth
Judas Priest
Rush
UFO
Rainbow

yecch!...talk about a rogues gallery!

others have held up much better:

Black Sabbath (obviously)
Blue Oyster Cult (Agents Of Fortune being metal's Rumours)

the term "heavy metal" was much misused/misunderstood back in the day...anybody remember the animated film Heavy Metal (based on the comic that spawned the term), soundtracked with such metal gods as Devo, Journey and Don Felder (of the Eagles!)...

BrokenFist

Crackin Skulls
I'm all about the metal...

Anthrax
Amon Amarth
Arcturus
Blind Guardian
Boris
Burst
Cannibal Corpse
Dark Tranquillity
Darkthrone
Dimension Zero
Dimmu Borgir
Emperor
Godflesh
Iced Earth
In Flames
Iron Maiden
Jesu
Judas Priest
Mayhem
Megadeth
Meshuggah
Metallica [old]
Misery Index
Opeth
Testament
The Dillinger Escape Plan

geto.blast

snap on rims
Celtic Frost / Hellhammer

"Morbid Tales" ruled everyone in the 80's.

Switzerland's only meaningful contribution to music?

mms

sometimes
henry s said:
m
the term "heavy metal" was much misused/misunderstood back in the day...anybody remember the animated film Heavy Metal (based on the comic that spawned the term), soundtracked with such metal gods as Devo, Journey and Don Felder (of the Eagles!)...

i'd love to see that!, aren't there several things the term comes from as usual with genre names
'heavy metal thunder' lyric steppenwolf
nova express - term was used by burroughs/also he had a character called the heavy metal kid in naked lunch

probably the comic as well - these things have a tendency to develop in tandem..

Immryr

geto.blast said:
Celtic Frost / Hellhammer

"Morbid Tales" ruled everyone in the 80's.

Switzerland's only meaningful contribution to music?

I was amazed no one had mentioned Celtic Frost up to this point.

\m/

francesco

Minerva Estassi
...I just finished to read "White Line Fever" the Lemmy autobiography and just find a "metal" thread on Dissensus... hey!

I am a fan of all kind of "metal" from heavy blues in '60 to the mess that has been after until now. Have to say that last 5 years have not been so great on metal news, nu-metal sucked (and was a Godflesh/Helmet rippoff even if this a a too simplified sentence, sorry), black metal and death metal are regurgitating endlessly the same '90 cliche. Yes some good records on Southern Lord but nothing better of what Earth or EyeHateGod had done 15 years ago!

Metal for years seemed, like disco, to be the bottom of taste and was avoided like plague by music critics. And books or magazine on metal were actually wrote by asshole without any hint of critic analysis, give or take a Chuck Eddy. After reading the awesome "Turn the beat around" on Disco by Peter Shapiro (and if you have not read it you are missing much, it's for disco what Rip it Up is for Post Punk), knowing what a metal fans he is (he interviewed Lemmy for the Wire!!! the best interview the Wire had ever!!!), hope that he will write a book on metal someday.

13 metal records to have:

slayer - reign in blood
black sabbath - master of reality
deep purple - in rock
atomic rooster - death walk behind you
motorhead - overkill
van halen - 1
iron maiden - killer
ac/dc- back in black
napalm death - scum
emperor - in the nightside eclipse
darkthrone - transilvanian hunger
earth - 2
burzum - philosophem

((...yes yes, and physical graffiti and runaways and b.o.c. and celtic frost and twisted sisters and kreator and deicide.... the list would be fu**ing endless!!!!))

ripley

Yes. Metal.

Sort of fell into it sideways from hardcore, partly because I liked the rythms of that riff-heavy stuff. Kind of went from NYHC to Helmet, and then back into Slayer, Sepultura, Metallica and the like. I listen to some of the Scandinavian stuff as well these days.

back then (late teens) I enjoyed White Zombie because they ripped off all the most danceable riffs from earlier metal bands and left out the solos and the wailing voices. Predictably, coming from punk and hardcore, I was never into guitar solos. so the virtuouso guitar side of metal didn't do much for me - it was always about the rhythm and the riffs.