METAL! Discuss

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
City, the second Strapping Young Lad album, absolutely destroys. Half the reviews of it call it "the sound of the end of the world", and it's not far off. Here's an upload for your listening pleasure:

http://rs268l3.rapidshare.com/cgi-bin/upload.cgi?rsuploadid=15337373513508124

Apart from that, not much, really: early Sabbath goes without saying, Ministry too (although on balance I like their older industrial stuff better) and I like also like Tool, although you have to take them with a pinch of salt.

Apart from that, the teenager in me still loves the first RATM album and Marilyn Manson's Antichrist Svperstar. \m/_:mad:_\m/

martin

----
"Wild Catz" by Tygers of Pan Tang is classic biker metal, dripping with early 80s intolerance and Watneys Red Barrel from the days when metallers used to beat up students with crowbars and had VD. The drummer's even called Big Dick, the whole album's mental.

Can't believe nobody's mentioned "Electric" by The Cult or "Tattooed Love God" by Zodiac Mindwarp, shame on you! Also, Andy McCoy's pre-Hanoi Rocks band Briard did an LP in '83 called "Miss World" which is sort of punk / glam rock / metal crossover, with a few brilliant tunes and gleefully inane lyrics about bum-raping politicians, being in love with drugs and how the Finndisc company is run by a shower of crooks. Though you have to get his 90s 'comeback' solo album for the best ever version of the awesome "Fuck the Army"

Napalm Death's "Scum" is a seminal moment in the history of the avant garde (more so than anything by AMM, the phonies!). I also quite liked the record that came out by Mick Harris' spin-off group Defecation, though I can't remember what it's called now - both make Slayer sound like Wet Wet Wet.

I had a mate at school who liked thrash, I remember Nuclear Assault having a great name but being quite rubbish. I also met someone who was in Acid Reign once, if that means anything to anyone. Bathory were pants but quite funny.

straight

wings cru
it is funny how super serious metal guys are and how illy they look in reality. I love Sunn/khanate etc but i cant help but chuckle when i see the lads doing the old 'power hands' every time someone raises a camera. or have they stopped that now that they're fully fledged art tarts?

tom pr

City, the second Strapping Young Lad album, absolutely destroys. Half the reviews of it call it "the sound of the end of the world", and it's not far off.
The late nineties was absolutely full of great metal records (City included) with Hydra Head/Relapse/etc coming into their own. Brutal Truth's Sounds of the Animal Kingdom, which I think somebody already mentioned, the early Dillinger Escape Plan EPs, Melt-Banana, Cave In, and especially Through Silver In Blood by Neurosis, which really does sound like the end of the world.

I vaguely remember talking about them in another thread here, but who's up on Geisha? They put out an incredible album last year on Crucial Blast (who, in very un-metal fashion, don't seem to release anything on vinyl) called Mondo Dell'Orrore, though only two of the songs on their myspace (Walt and Mechachrist) are from it.

Immryr

not having anything released on vinyl is not very un-metal these days. hardly anything in the more extreme end of the spectrum (gore grind etc) gets put out on vinyl.

noel emits

a wonderful wooden reason
There's an awful lot of false metal in this thread! I like my stoner bands but it's not metal. ;)

Technical Metal: Necrophagist rule.
Art Metal: Francisco Lopez' Untitled #108 (edit - it's #104 actually) is a sound art piece made of metal loops that builds to an intensity that becomes almost ambient.

True Black Metal. The Vice TV documentary / interview with Gorgoroth's Gaahl is kind of awesome, well worth a watch.

Last edited:

STN

sou'wester
First Manowar LP (ooh, you gave a 'square' 'the finger', no wonder you spend all your time dressed up as he-man - wicked LP though). Early (i.e. 70s, not 80s) Pentagram - not really metal but part of some unholy continuum or other, sounds like Royal Trux, really.

Eponymous Angelwitch 7"... Possibly all these bases have been covered earlier...

STN

sou'wester
Never heard RTX, always mean to though... I once saw Jennifer Herrema very cruelly heckled; she appeared wearing a big fur coat and aviator shades and someone shouted 'play some bloody Guns n Roses you fucking fourteen year old boy'. A tad unfair, I thought.

noel emits

An interesting thesis. They are one of those annoying bands with complex riffs and boring sounds aren't they?

Octopus?

not having anything released on vinyl is not very un-metal these days. hardly anything in the more extreme end of the spectrum (gore grind etc) gets put out on vinyl.

Really? There actually seems to be quite a bit of grind vinyl out there, not to mention the fact that Black Metal has totally revived the vinyl-as-fetish object and also given rise to the return of cassettes. Tons of Death Metal also comes out on LP and almost all stoner or doom metal gets a vinyl release at some point.

N

nomadologist

True Black Metal. The Vice TV documentary / interview with Gorgoroth's Gaahl is kind of awesome, well worth a watch.

Whoa. It's only ok to torture someone if they ask you to. I don't know if I can get behind these dudes.

noel emits

Whoa. It's only ok to torture someone if they ask you to. I don't know if I can get behind these dudes.
Did you get to the bit where he takes them up the mountain to his cabin? I think it might be in part 5 - he does this very freaky thing.
Sorry I should have linked to that straight away, it's the good bit.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
"You don't perform Black Metal if you're not a warrior."

Wicked.

Edit: I like the way he just switches off at the end of the interview because he didn't like their (one) question.

Last edited:

zhao

there are no accidents
no mention of helLA and "proto-metal" can go without CHROME. lots of weird borderline unlissenable stuff in their discography, but when they get down to bizness shit sounds as unfuckwithable today as I'm sure it did back in 1977.

my headspace is honestly soooooooo far from any kind of aggro guitar music right now but good tip on the francisco lopez... was not aware of that piece. good thing this page will be around for a while as i'm sure i'll forget the number...

also has anyone mentioned EyeHateGod? i doubt i'll ever again really get in *that* mood to play their records all night pulling from a bottle of cheap whiskey and chain smoking... but you never know do you? this fucking gorgeous waitress I was chatting up 2 minutes ago can break my heart next week :)

noel emits

my headspace is honestly soooooooo far from any kind of aggro guitar music right now but good tip on the francisco lopez... was not aware of that piece. good thing this page will be around for a while as i'm sure i'll forget the number...
I got it wrong anyway, it's #104.

N

nomadologist

"You don't perform Black Metal if you're not a warrior."

Wicked.

Edit: I like the way he just switches off at the end of the interview because he didn't like their (one) question.

Srsly, it's a perfectly valid question. The comments on the youtube page were hysterical--all of the fans so livid because the "inferior-minded" interviewers didn't buy Gaahl's middle school-level Nietzche misreading.

N

nomadologist

Yeah I used to listen to Chrome a lot but are they metal?