METAL! Discuss

D84

Yeah me too! :)

I started out in punk/hc (Ramones, Cramps, Dead Kennedys, etc) and got into metal also via my mates at school:

eg. Winter, Godflesh, Ministry, Bolt Thrower, Morbid Angel, Napalm Death (pretty much all that early Earache stuff), Metallica, etc.

Killing Joke, Swans, Pink Floyd and King Crimson were also high on my mates' "metal" listening list.

For me it was all about the rhythm and sound, and getting an almost physical rise out of the music - so not surprisingly it was a short jump to listening to dance music... (Hard to ignore really - esp. once grunge set in..).

I still listen to some of it. I dug out Carcass' "Heartwork" CD a while ago after dismissing it as being too "melodic" when it came out - sounds fine now.

One thing some metal and some dance music have in common is at some stage or another they fall into a clipetty-clop, horse-riding rhythm (if that makes any sense).

borderpolice

droid said:
I was pretty seriously into trash metal: Slayer/Nuclear Assault/SOD/Morbid Angel/Death/Napalm Death/Prong/Metallica/Voivod/Sepultura end of things in my early to mid-teens, as well as having a fondness for stuff like Sabbath/Motorhead and AC/DC.

same here though more at the punk/grunge end of things, suicicdal tendencies, st vitus etc
which merged musically, though not in terms of lifestyle/politics with metal in the 80s.

droid said:
I still rate quite a few metal records and I have no regrets - as it led me down the road into punk, 70s rock, and Industrial, and eventually to electronic and dance music.

structurally, metal is dance music. you can also see this by considering how close to metal a lot
of drum&bass has always sounded. or consider alter ego.

borderpolice

ripley said:
Predictably, coming from punk and hardcore, I was never into guitar solos. so the virtuouso guitar side of metal didn't do much for me - it was always about the rhythm and the riffs.

wooord!!

spotrusha

anybody fuck with Vio-Lence. pretty decent thrash stuff.
crossover stuff like Leeway, Cro-Mags, Bio-Hazard, Life Of Agony is where it's at, though.

matt b

Indexing all opinion
can i just say 'hair metal' again?
i don't get the opportunity in everyday conversation.

thank you

tom pr

BORIS are fucking immense - glad people are mentioning them. It's not strictly metal like a lot of their stuff, but people should check out their album Flood, it's all minimalist drone-type post-rock stuff, but really lush, precise and beautiful - like if Sigur ros were trying to play Earth or something. It's like eighty minutes long, over four tracks, and is so beautiful. I'll be back later to talk about more stuff, I'm sure.

mms

sometimes
tom pr said:
BORIS are fucking immense - glad people are mentioning them. It's not strictly metal like a lot of their stuff, but people should check out their album Flood, it's all minimalist drone-type post-rock stuff, but really lush, precise and beautiful - like if Sigur ros were trying to play Earth or something. It's like eighty minutes long, over four tracks, and is so beautiful. I'll be back later to talk about more stuff, I'm sure.

their last album soundtrack for mabuta no ura is very very good , very psychedelic, more like postrock but without the ridgity

Ness Rowlah

Norwegian Wood
matt b said:
can i just say 'hair metal' again?
i don't get the opportunity in everyday conversation.

thank you

you're welcome. Is that the same as what we call "poodle rock"
back home in Norway - ie Europe (the band) and the like (big hair, soft hardrock)?

Not too big on metal - apart from Motørhead, but they we're on Stiff
initially with Mick Farren and all, so they don't really count?
And things like Thin Lizzy and early Alice Cooper is not metal is it?
If it is count me in (Julian Cope seems to be another fan of early Alice stuff).

But there is - ahem - a Saxon record in my collection
that I somehow have decided to hang on to through the years ...
And when you get metal sleazier than a bung for a Labour peerage -
like these guys Gliss (SXSW 2006 w/free MP3) then I like it
(this is the type of NY Dolls trash metal Japan tried to do
pre-Quiet Life but could never do - guess they weren't filthy enough?)

Last edited:

henry s

Street Fighting Man
Ness Rowlah said:
And things like Thin Lizzy and early Alice Cooper is not metal is it?
If it is count me in (Julian Cope seems to be another fan of early Alice stuff).
I wouldn't call Alice Cooper "heavy metal", but I've been listening to those early Coop albums lately (up to and including Welcome To My Nightmare), and lemme tell you, this was a band...it didn't get much more rock than AC in those days, and I doubt any other rock band (except maybe Nirvana, even that is debatable) ever connected with young people the way they did...plus, they pioneered the use of make-up, and did the sailor suit thing a couple years before the Stones...and, "School's Out" has to be the best guitar riff ever...too bad Alice Cooper's legacy is defined by some fairly juvenile stage theatrics, ripping apart baby dolls, the guillotine, etc....then again, it's remarkable to listen to "Dead Babies" now and hear the Beatles influence...I was never aware of that...

geto.blast

snap on rims
Bolt Thrower - "Realms of Chaos" sounds like fugging nuk-u-lar holocaust

Their first record "In Battle the is no Law" again sounds like really baaad things happening to a whole lot of people.

the only other record that made me feel like that is Discharge - "Hear nothing...."

PS: i don t endorse anything BT after Realms of Chaos, it really becomes like Saxon after that..

Last edited:

zhao

there are no accidents
Bought a Dimmu Borgir cd cheap a few days ago - I didn't know that the minimalist trend had spread to metal. :D

i thought after the first few albums they became totally irrelevant clowns who trade in the cheesiest theatrical bullshit that would make King Diamond red with embarrassment? is the album actually lissenable?? and what do you mean by "minimal"?

mixed_biscuits

i thought after the first few albums they became totally irrelevant clowns who trade in the cheesiest theatrical bullshit that would make King Diamond red with embarrassment? is the album actually lissenable?? and what do you mean by "minimal"?

I was joking, you fannywagon. ;)

I thought the album was enjoyably overblown. It's got a blindfolded woman on the cover; can't remember the name.

mms

sometimes
does Hawkwind count?

I love love love Motorhead, too.

hmm are hawkwind proto metal?

hawkwind are very fashionable at the moment, it's weird.
heard white hills?
Practically a hawkwind tribute act, there is alot of this psychy metal stuff about.

N

nomadologist

hmm are hawkwind proto metal?

hawkwind are very fashionable at the moment, it's weird.

i think they would properly be considered proto-metal in the way that iggy pop/the stooges were proto-punk.

hawkwind are especially fashionable in helLA...I had a whole thing where I loved them in college so I'm happy about this piqued interest in psychemetal.

have not heard white hills, what should i get by them?

mms

sometimes
i think they would properly be considered proto-metal in the way that iggy pop/the stooges were proto-punk.

have not heard white hills, what should i get by them?

i'd get a hawkwind record instead personally.

wooden shjips are better imo in that mode, like proto-metal meets ride or something.

aluk todolo this lot http://www.riotseason.com/REPOSELP015.htm

are interesting mix of metal stuff and krautrock style stuff too.

Last edited: