REGGAE/DANCEHALL - breaking news, gossip, slander, lies etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

gabriel

The Heatwave
dutty wine is pretty new, came out on 7" last week though been around as cd/mp3 for a while. the dance is taking the world by storm. goldfinger played about 7 different tunes all called dutty wine the other day. can't say i'm mad about it to be honest, but the dance is nice :)

re the sonic difference question: there are no clear meanings for the terms dancehall and reggae, in fact they have multiple, sometimes contradictory, meanings so don't try too hard to pin things down once and for all. i konw thats a cop out answer but i'm typing one handed cos my collarbone is broken and i cant be arsed to whack out a loads of confusing text asbout the varying ways dancehall and reggae are (a) very different and (b) actually one and the same thing

there was a thread on here once about the difference between the terms dancehall, ragga and bashment - you might want to have a look for that, i think it covered some relevant stuff

zhao

there are no accidents
no one knows about Baby Cham??? or is he old news and not cool enough for you reggae snobs to comment on???

Eric

Mr Moraigero
no not old news!! actually listening to Ghetto Story right now coincidentally :)

but what was the question exactly?? he's been around for awhile, released one album (as far as I know), which was pretty bad in general bar a few excellent tunes, semirecent collab w/ foxy brown (well not that recent I guess) put him back in the public eye stateside, now he is everywhere. I have the feeling I didnt see much about him for awhile but maybe I just wasnt paying attention. does that answer you?

followup question: what is the deal with cham & bounty?

D

droid

Eric said:
followup question: what is the deal with cham & bounty?

They've been clashing on and off for years. Also done a few collaborations - think it might be down to the fact that they sound quite similar.

Chams been around for at least 8 years. Took a break around 2001 to raise his kid, and came back on 'the return' riddim. Ghetto Story is one of the best things hes ever done...

Eric

Mr Moraigero
droid said:
They've been clashing on and off for years. Also done a few collaborations - think it might be down to the fact that they sound quite similar.

I knew they were (?) clashing---heard Bounty call Cham out here & there, etc. I had thought from teh collabos that maybe Cham was some kind of protege or somethign at least at one time, some sort of preAlliance thing (heh). any truth to this or am I totally off base?

Chams been around for at least 8 years. Took a break around 2001 to raise his kid, and came back on 'the return' riddim. Ghetto Story is one of the best things hes ever done...

ah, didnt know about the kid. but def agree on Ghetto Story. pure minor key hope tune.

D

droid

Could be - they were apparantly mates for a while - that tune they did on 'The Bug (Pt 2)' - "Another Level' being their big collaboration (2000/2001 I think), though they used to do shows together as well.

Dont know what happened to split them up...

Eric

Mr Moraigero
yeah the tune on the bug is the one I was thinking of too. saw them together in jamaica (sav la mar) new year's day 2000. cham got his hat shot off by a bottle rocket. he was pretty pissed off. kind of funny.

gabriel

The Heatwave
cham's been around since 1995/6 when he voiced two tunes on joyride riddim. i really like his album (wow.. the story) - it's half jamaican hip hop, half hardcore bashment. all produced by dave kelly

cham & bounty fell out largely cos bounty and dave kelly fell out i think, and cham and kelly are kind of two halves of the same person. (cham's only ever voiced like 5 tunes for other producers in his entire career, he's been nurtutred by kelly for at least 11 years now)

i think bounty & kelly fell out cos bounty's got a massive ego and kelly doesn't deal too well with things like that, he'll just cut people off e.g. the way he dropped chico and ms thing when (in his eyes) they got too big for their boots. i seem to remember a story about how bounty wanted his voicing on a certain riddim (maybe bruk out? not sure) to be the biggest cut, but kelly, cos he wanted to push cham as his artist, didn't want that, so bounty got pissed off with the pair of them. there might be more to it than that though. anyway, listen to bounty killer 'just dead cham' off the ghetto dictionary: art of war album for more details...

Clubberlang

I couldn't be anticipating the Baby Cham album more. Even if the second disc of Wow is just alright (possibly Kelly's only misstep in nearly 20 years of producing/engineering/whatever although you can't really fault him for at least trying something a little bit different--strangely the two hip-hop ragga collabs with Foxy Brown that made her 2001 album are much much better than the stuff which actually made Cham's record if "Tables Will Turn" and "Run Dem" were on Wow's second disc I might feel totally different about it), the first disc more than makes up for it. 40 or so minutes of perfection.

Eric

Mr Moraigero
Clubberlang said:
I couldn't be anticipating the Baby Cham album more. Even if the second disc of Wow is just alright (possibly Kelly's only misstep in nearly 20 years of producing/engineering/whatever although you can't really fault him for at least trying something a little bit different--strangely the two hip-hop ragga collabs with Foxy Brown that made her 2001 album are much much better than the stuff which actually made Cham's record if "Tables Will Turn" and "Run Dem" were on Wow's second disc I might feel totally different about it), the first disc more than makes up for it. 40 or so minutes of perfection.

Hmm. Maybe I was too harsh .. I havent heard the album in awhile and in memory what stands out is the bad (IMO) hiphop. Except a few tunes ... Have to try it again (or would anyway if I thought I had a hope in hell of finding the thing again).

So there is a new one coming out? I wondered. He's got so much good work recently that I was hoping for something. When is it coming?

gabriel

The Heatwave
sometime this summer apparently. but it was meant to come a couple of years back when vitamin s was doing well, and atlantic never put it out, so fingers crossed...

qwerty south

no use for a witticism
Beenie Man Hits The Home Counties!

GE Entertainment Promotions Ltd in collaboration with GE Hair & Beauty Salon & RPS present

SUMMER FLEX 06

Featuring reggae superstar BEENIE MAN and The Shocking Vibes Crew Jamesy P and Luta plus Skatronias Jamaica (live band) and Aqua Levi.

Dates:

Saturday the 29th of July 2006 @ Rushmoor Arena, Aldershot (Beauty Pageant & Concert) . Gates Open: 5pm til 4.00am (Tickets: £27.50 in advance, £35.00 on gate) and...
Sunday the 30th of July 2006 @ Stratford Rex, London E15. Concert (Doors Open: 7pm till 3.00am). Tickets : £30.00 in advance, £45.00 on gate.
Ticket Outlets:
GE Entertainment (Aldershot) - 08708-505-715
Supertone Records (Brixton) - 0207 737 7761
Dub Vendor (Clapham) - 0207-223-3757
Body Music (Deptford) - 0208-691-6765
Dub Vendor (Ladbroke) - 0208- 969 -3375
Mastro Records (Peckham) - 0207-635-7299
Body Music (Tottenham) - 0208-802-0146
Ticket Shop (Bristol) - 01179-299-008
Catapult Records (Cardiff) - 02920 -228-990
Summit Records & Tapes (Birmingham) - 01234-558-844
Forwardmove Records (Bedford) - 01234 -365-800

For more information please contact GE Entertainment on 08708-505-715.
Summerflex@gmail.com
http://www.myspace.com/gepltd

Grafta

Shiiiiit!

Cheers Luca, those vids are totally appropriate workplace viewing. Got my workmates givin me pretty funny looks. Lol!
Tune is BIG! Dance floors lovin dat riddim here.

Status
Not open for further replies.