triple 6 mafia

stelfox

Beast of Burden
Poisonous Dart said:
The best thing about them is the OCCASIONAL classic beat made by Juicy J and DJ Paul. They aren't NEAR touching the catalogues of other great Hip Hop crews or producers, but they have many crews and groups in the South/Midwest owe them a debt of gratitude since they influenced that whole area greatly with their early work...The Hypnotize Minds Camp couldn't contend (on the mic OR on the boards) with Wu Tang Clan and the Wu Elements, Boot Camp Click and the Beatminers, The Gangstarr Foundation and DJ Premier, Pete Rock & C.L. Smooth, Death Row Records camp, Dr, Dre, Daz and Warren G or Hieroglyphics, The Beatnuts, etc. so on the East Coast we paid them NO MIND until "Tear The Club Up '97" dropped...the Wu and BCC were being phased out of the radio rotation in favor of No Limit and Cash Money songs...One.

bangs head on table...

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
At the risk of sounding utterly blasphemous, is there some kind of conpiracy that says you must refer to DJ Premier and Pete Rock every time hip-hop production is discussed? I mean, these two would strike me as far better examples of producers who have the OCCASIONAL genius beat. Sorry, but some of the time they're pretty fucking dull. I like Gang Starr a lot, but there is only so much you can take of the formula.

I rate Three Six Mafia far above them both as far as imaginative, hypnotic production is concerned. Surely any attempt to place Triple Six below Gang Starr et al is the same old tedious Golden Age conservatism.

How many people here actually rate the Golden Age of 1989-1995 (or whatever) over the past five years of hip hop? Maybe I'm perverse, but tracks such as 'Southern Hospitality', 'Grindin' ' 'What About Us?' (OK, that's RnB), etc, etc do far more for me in terms of excitement than most NY tracks of the early 90s.

mms

sometimes
baboon2004 said:
At the risk of sounding utterly blasphemous, is there some kind of conpiracy that says you must refer to DJ Premier and Pete Rock every time hip-hop production is discussed? I mean, these two would strike me as far better examples of producers who have the OCCASIONAL genius beat. Sorry, but some of the time they're pretty fucking dull. I like Gang Starr a lot, but there is only so much you can take of the formula.

I rate Three Six Mafia far above them both as far as imaginative, hypnotic production is concerned. Surely any attempt to place Triple Six below Gang Starr et al is the same old tedious Golden Age conservatism.

How many people here actually rate the Golden Age of 1989-1995 (or whatever) over the past five years of hip hop? Maybe I'm perverse, but tracks such as 'Southern Hospitality', 'Grindin' ' 'What About Us?' (OK, that's RnB), etc, etc do far more for me in terms of excitement than most NY tracks of the early 90s.

i try and tell people this all the time - they were at the best when they had a compliment of great mcs but as far as production and inovation etc they were pretty stuck in their own loopy grooves..

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
mms said:
i try and tell people this all the time - they were at the best when they had a compliment of great mcs but as far as production and inovation etc they were pretty stuck in their own loopy grooves..

I presume you're talking about Premier and Pete Rock, mms. In which case, thank you for assuring me that I'm not alone. Their place in the 'canon' seems to be far too seldom challenged. 'T.R.O.Y.' is one of my favourite ever tracks, but the album it's off is unbearably tedious.

The Neptunes and Timbaland shit all over these canonical figures, quite frankly, especially when at their untouchable best. As do the Bomb Squad, naturally.

mms

sometimes
baboon2004 said:
I presume you're talking about Premier and Pete Rock, mms. In which case, thank you for assuring me that I'm not alone. Their place in the 'canon' seems to be far too seldom challenged. 'T.R.O.Y.' is one of my favourite ever tracks, but the album it's off is unbearably tedious.

The Neptunes and Timbaland shit all over these canonical figures, quite frankly, especially when at their untouchable best. As do the Bomb Squad, naturally.

yeah, i always preferred hip hop when it was more comtemporary and electronic i guess, not trying to be all cannonistically sophisticated and jazzy or whatever, as the cap doesn't fit.
There is a big arguement i had with derek on here from ages ago where i'm saying premier really fucked hip hop.
interestingly there is a big piece with the bomb squad and their history and production in wax poetics this month - which is the sort of place i'd expect more soul boyish stuff, haven't read it yet but i'm told it's skill.

zhao

there are no accidents
Poisonous Dart said:
The best thing about them is the OCCASIONAL classic beat made by Juicy J and DJ Paul. They aren't NEAR touching the catalogues of other great Hip Hop crews or producers, but they have many crews and groups in the South/Midwest owe them a debt of gratitude since they influenced that whole area greatly with their early work...The Hypnotize Minds Camp couldn't contend (on the mic OR on the boards) with Wu Tang Clan and the Wu Elements, Boot Camp Click and the Beatminers, The Gangstarr Foundation and DJ Premier, Pete Rock & C.L. Smooth, Death Row Records camp, Dr, Dre, Daz and Warren G or Hieroglyphics, The Beatnuts, etc. so on the East Coast we paid them NO MIND until "Tear The Club Up '97" dropped...the Wu and BCC were being phased out of the radio rotation in favor of No Limit and Cash Money songs...One.

eyes rolling skyward.

it's like saying "Apples are OK but they aren't NEAR touching the greatness of Oranges"

Precious Cuts

mistersloane said:
I totally don't know, I know they made some ferocious records off it though, whatever it was. I'd like to know who else says they did it first, whether it was a bastardisation of 'diggedy' or whether it came from somewhere else?

I don't think anyone knows for sure.. Bone Thugs and Twista had beef over it, but then decided that they both came up with the sound at the same time but independently. Then they made up and did a song together

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
Precious Cuts said:
I don't think anyone knows for sure.. Bone Thugs and Twista had beef over it, but then decided that they both came up with the sound at the same time but independently. Then they made up and did a song together

I didn't know that, thanks.

My fav Trip 6 track is 'Damn I'm Crazed'. It actually scares me.

Precious Cuts

Poisonous Dart said:
The BEST Gangsta Grillz CD hands down was DJ Drama & Little Brother's "Separate But Equal"...the most FAMOUS and POPULAR one is Young Jeezy's "Trap Or Die". It made him into a star overnight, damn near. One.

haven't heard the Little Brother CD.. but I find it strange that Drama uses the Gangsta Grillz tag for a Little Brother CD, considering all the shit Little Brother have talked about everything that "gangsta grillz" represents.

DavidD

can't be stopped
baboon2004 said:

OK dudes back off from the ILM archives...

Poisonous Dart's tunnel vision is like a charicature of "REAL HIP HOP" I know, but to me Hypnotized Minds beats - as incredible as they are - aren't any less 'one trick' tracks than anything Premier did. The difference is that Premier was canonized early on, where 3-6 are only getting recognition towards the tail end of their creative period. So yeah, dudes who only ride New York canon are corny, but so is this "hip-hop only got good with TIMBALAND" thing.

I think the first Pete Rock and CL Smooth EP and LPs are pretty great all around. Its a long album, but if you have a problem with that you shouldn't be listening to much recent hip-hop at all.

Also, the idea that there is one good song on "Most Known Unknowns" is absurd.

DavidD

can't be stopped
Precious Cuts said:
haven't heard the Little Brother CD.. but I find it strange that Drama uses the Gangsta Grillz tag for a Little Brother CD, considering all the shit Little Brother have talked about everything that "gangsta grillz" represents.
That CD is so fucking boring.

Yo Gotti's album is better than the grillz mixtape i think.

TS: new york '94 is the way, the truth and the light vs. hip-hop started with timbaland

Last edited:

SIZZLE

gasoline for haters
yeah I'm also getting really sick of BOTH sides of the old vs. new hiphop generation gap.

[climbs onto high horse]

If any of you had been listening to these artists when they were releasing their canonical works you would know how much they meant to hiphop at that time, how exciting and moving some of these songs were. The fact that they later gave birth to the orthodoxy that is responsible for a lot of boring underground hiphop records should not be held against them, as no innovator should be blamed for the mediocrity of their imitators.

[climbs down]

I wish people didn't feel the need to turn music appreciation into an occasion for factionalist elitism, it's a really great way to miss whole galaxies of great songs. All the musicians that I know who I respect draw inspiration from and appreciate artists so far from the normal orthodoxies you wouldn't believe it because they recognize the fact that a good song is a good song, period.

Last edited:

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
SIZZLE said:
If any of you had been listening to these artists when they were releasing their canonical works you would know how much they meant to hiphop at that time, how exciting and moving some of these songs were. The fact that they later gave birth to the orthodoxy that is responsible for a lot of boring underground hiphop records should not be held against them, as no innovator should be blamed for the mediocrity of their imitators.

[climbs down]

I wish people didn't feel the need to turn music appreciation into an occasion for factionalist elitism, it's a really great way to miss whole galaxies of great songs. All the musicians that I know who I respect draw inspiration from and appreciate artists so far from the normal orthodoxies you wouldn't believe it because they recognize the fact that a good song is a good song, period.

You're absolutely right, of course.

I love lots of golden age hip-hop; it's simply the idea that this period is somehow superior to what's been happening recently that irks me. Well, not irks me so much as bores the living shit out of me.

See also: the endless-repeated notion that Rakim is the best rapper of all time. Jesus, dude is tight but he doesn't have any fucking personality on record....

gumdrops

baboon2004 said:
I love lots of golden age hip-hop; it's simply the idea that this period is somehow superior to what's been happening recently that irks me. Well, not irks me so much as bores the living shit out of me.

how is it any different from people saying post-punk from the late 70s-early 80s was superior to the modern regurgitations? or people who say drum n bass in the 90s was heaps better than the stuff thats been coming out since around 1999/2000 or so? every genre has a time thats popularly settled on as its artistic peak

DavidD

can't be stopped
baboon2004 said:
See also: the endless-repeated notion that Rakim is the best rapper of all time. Jesus, dude is tight but he doesn't have any fucking personality on record....

:confused: I like what Chris Rock said about him, something about how he's one of the few rappers that knows how to maintain mystique.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
gumdrops said:
how is it any different from people saying post-punk from the late 70s-early 80s was superior to the modern regurgitations? or people who say drum n bass in the 90s was heaps better than the stuff thats been coming out since around 1999/2000 or so? every genre has a time thats popularly settled on as its artistic peak

Never said it was any different. Out of interest though, would you agree with either of the two commonly-voiced opinions there you've used as examples? I would think at least one of them was more persuasive than the equivalent notion about hip hop.

God, maybe I am a reactionary....

As for the Chris Rock comment, it's fair enough. But put Rakim up against Slick Rick, Biz Markie, Ludacris, Eminem, Big L, Jay-Z, Bun-B etc etc etc, and, at least to me, it becomes clear that mystique and metronomic precision are not the most important qualities that a rapper can have.... I love the classic Eric B & Rakim records, to be sure, but I feel that Eric B is the one responsible for most of the magic (if indeed Rakim only had input into the rhymes: can't claim to know the minutiae of the partnership).

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Incidentally, I'm not playing Devil's Advocate re Rakim; honestly think he's well over-rated. Undoubtedly very good, but top ten of all time? Nah.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
Biggest 'mystique' about Rakim was him ending up on that Anne Dudley / Art of Noise record....

When he first appeared ( 'taking off my coat, clearin my throat' ) it was seriously like James Joyce had invaded rap and suddenly seen its potential, his spatial awareness within rhyme is unparalleled. Nas can - on form - certainly create an unfolding of time and place, but Rakim seems to just be able to create space around himself with the vision of the words he unfolds. I think it was the shock that he created from doing that - first - which is why he's held in such high esteem. If you don't think he's top ten then at least give up props for originating a style. Bit of a po-faced wanker though, I reckon.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
mistersloane said:
Biggest 'mystique' about Rakim was him ending up on that Anne Dudley / Art of Noise record....

When he first appeared ( 'taking off my coat, clearin my throat' ) it was seriously like James Joyce had invaded rap and suddenly seen its potential, his spatial awareness within rhyme is unparalleled. Nas can - on form - certainly create an unfolding of time and place, but Rakim seems to just be able to create space around himself with the vision of the words he unfolds. I think it was the shock that he created from doing that - first - which is why he's held in such high esteem. If you don't think he's top ten then at least give up props for originating a style. Bit of a po-faced wanker though, I reckon.

I'll accept that I've undersold him, and I can see your argument there (nice James Joyce comparison). I guess that, as far as I'm concerned, I rate other facets of a rapper far more highly - punchlines, effervescence, emotional connection, rhythmic invention (see Ludacris and Missy, imo)....

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
And I can see my way to giving him props for his trailblazing...I just get frustrated with the unquestioning canon, as always.... ;)

Po-faced tho, f'sure.