triple 6 mafia

stelfox

Beast of Burden
Pretty much any UGK track is better than anything on Trill – and that's no criticism of the album, I like Bun on his own a lot, it's just that Bun and Pimp together are way better than either of them solo.
I like Pimp's rapping style. It's lazy, totally country and a real contrast to Bun, whose flow is a lot tighter, more intricate, multi-syllabic and way more aggressive.
The best mixtape I've heard this year is the Southern Smoke hosted by Pimp C and all the stuff I've heard off Pimpalation (Pimp's forthcoming album) is pretty damned good.
Still, even though he's a decent rapper, his real talent lies in production and he's been seriously instrumental in defining Texas rap's sound.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
stelfox said:
Pretty much any UGK track is better than anything on Trill – and that's no criticism of the album, I like Bun on his own a lot, it's just that Bun and Pimp together are way better than either of them solo.
I like Pimp's rapping style. It's lazy, totally country and a real contrast to Bun, whose flow is a lot tighter, more intricate, multi-syllabic and way more aggressive.

I guess that is the secret to why UGK are so good, in the same way (well, sort of) that Chuck D and Flav worked better together than apart, or the Ultramagnetics hold the interest more than Kool Keith on his own.

I just find Pimp C's delivery kinda clunky and lacking in dexterity. He's been on a lot of good records tho'.

petergunn

plywood violin
When he first appeared ( 'taking off my coat, clearin my throat' ) it was seriously like James Joyce had invaded rap and suddenly seen its potential, his spatial awareness within rhyme is unparalleled. Nas can - on form - certainly create an unfolding of time and place, but Rakim seems to just be able to create space around himself with the vision of the words he unfolds. I think it was the shock that he created from doing that - first - which is why he's held in such high esteem.

YES

Follow me into a solo
Get in the flow - and you can picture
like a photo
Music mixed mellow maintains to
make
Melodies for MC's motivates the breaks

I'm everlastin, I can go on for days and days

With rhyme displays that engrave deep as X-rays
I can
take a phrase that's rarely heard, FLIP IT
Now
it's a daily word
I can get iller than 'Nam, a
killin bomb
But no alarm - Rakim will remain calm

Self-esteem make me super superb and supreme
But for a
microphone still I fiend
This was a tape I wasn't
supposed to break
I was supposed to wait, but let's
motivate
I want to see who can keep followin and swallowin

Takin the making, bitin it and borrowin
Brothers tried
and others died to get the formula
But I'ma let ya
sweat - you still ain't warm
You a step away from
frozen, stiff as if ya posin
Dig into my brain as the rhyme
gets chosen
So follow me and were ya thinkin' you were
first?
Let's travel at magnificent speeds around the
Universe
What could ya say as the Earth gets further and
further away
Planets are small as balls of clay
Astray
into the Milky Way - world's outasight
Far as the eye
can see - not even a satellite
Now stop and turn around and
look
As ya stare in the darkness, ya knowledge is took!

So keep starin soon ya suddenly see a star
You better
follow it cause it's the R
This is a lesson if ya
guessin and if ya borrowin
Hurry hurry step right up and
keep followin
The Leader

Verse Two:

This is a lifetime mission, vision of prison

Aight listen
In this journey you're the journal
I'm the journalist
Am I Eternal? Or an eternalist?

I'm about to flow long as I can possibly go
Keep
ya movin cause the crowd said so
Dance - cuts rip ya pants

Eric B on the blades, bleedin to death - call the
ambulance
Pull out my weapon and start to squeeze
A
magnum as a microphone murderin' MC's
Let's
quote a rhyme from a record I wrote
(follow the leader)
Yeah - dope
Cause everytime I stop it seems ya stuck

Soon as ya try to step off ya self-destruct
I came to
overcome before I'm gone
By showin and provin and
lettin knowledge be born
Then after that I'll live
forever - you disagree?
You say never? Then follow me!

From century to century you'll remember me
In
history - not a mystery or a memory
God by nature, mind
raised in Asia
Since you was tricked, I have to raise ya

From the cradle to the grave, but remember
You're
not a slave
Cause we was put here to be much more than that

But we couldn't see it because our mind was trapped

But I'm here to break away the chains, take away the
pains
Remake the brains, reveal my name
I guess nobody
told you a little knowledge is dangerous
It can't be
mixed, diluted; it can't be changed or switched

Here's a lesson if ya guessing and borrowing

Hurry hurry, step right up and keep following
The
leader

Verse Three:

A furified freestyle,
lyrics of fury
My third eye makes me shine like jewelry

You're just a rent-a-rapper, your rhymes are
minute-maid
I'll be here when it fade to watch you
flip like a renegade
I can't wait to break and
eliminate
On every traitor or snake - so stay awake

and follow and follow, because the tempo's a trail

The stage is a cage, the mic is a third rail
I'm
Rakim the Fiend of a Microphone
I'm not HIM, so leave
my mic alone
Soon as the beat is felt, I'm ready to go

So fasten your seatbelt, cause I'm about to flow

No need to speed slow down to let the leader lead
Word
to daddy, indeed!
The R's a rollin stone, so I'm
rollin
Directions is told, then the rhymes are stolen

Stop buggin', a brother said, dig em, I never dug
'em
He couldn't follow the leader long enough so
I drug 'em
into danger zone, he should arrange his
own
Face it, it's basic, erase it, change ya
tone
There's one R in the alphabet
It's a
one-letter word and it's about to get
More complex
from one rhyme to the next
Eric B be easy on the flex

I've been from state to state, followers tailgate

Keep comin but you came too late, but I'll wait

So back up, regroup, get a grip, come equipped

You're the next contestant - clap ya hands, you won a
trip!
The price is right - don't make a deal too soon

How many notes could you name this tune?
Follow the
Leader is the title, theme, task
Now ya know, you
don't have to ask
Rap is Rhythm And Poetry, cuts
create sound effects
You might catch up if you follow the
records E. wrecks
Until then keep eatin and swallowin

You better take a deep breath and keep followin
The
leader.

oh and finally got that Underground Vol 1.... shit is bananas.... the samples are so much dirtier than the Three 6 stuff... pretty awesome...

thought i would throw my two cents in on this thread, keep it on 'track'...
i think the early triple six/dj paul/hypnotize camp productions are sorely underrated.
for sheer blood chilling, nightmare inducing, eye opening proof of this check out
'i thought you knew' by crunchy black/gangsta boo or 'body full of bullet holes' by crunchy, even 'beat them hoes down' by lord infamous for example...

the first being a haunted, gothic, syrupy, creepy gore fest, celebrating memphis "where the shit is so thick", with gangsta boo talking about robbing and dodging police. crunchy's rhymes on this track are languid, with a sing song quality halfway through, underscored by icy xylophones..

'body full of bullet holes'
"pop pop til you drop..." unbelievable ode to killing with lines "stuff a bitch in my truck i told you crunchy aint no punk" and constant referencing to 'stash spots' where they keep the dead bodies...
this track is like the running commentary of a serial killer. otherworldly whispering by dj paul(?) at various points with some slowed down 'devil' overdubs on top of some rhymes.. an all time high water mark in 'horror' rap..

'beat them hoes down'
probaly one of the most violent, mysogynistic tracks ever made, featuring lord infamous. with content like this, its no wonder that this shit was underground.

these are just a few tracks that jump to mind, all of which can usually be found on limewire.
theres a few guys in texas who occassionally have early trip six/dj paul/lord infamous cds transferred from the original early 90's cassettes. the sometimes put these up on ebay..
the classics of these being
dj paul vol 12 part 2
vol 14
vol 15
and i think there is vol 16 for the summa of 94 thats epic
i recently had a hard drive problem and lost many of these tracks, with the 'originals' in storage
the lord infamous 'solo tape' is worth seeking out as well
also check koopsta knicca 'da devils playground'
theres a decent skinny pimp record, whos name escapes me at the moment..

perhaps im getting away from the triple six camp, but these related things are worth mentioning.

one of the most striking elements of these early cassette releases are the sounds and textures. incredible use of limited technology and a murky, lo-fi sound quality that is completely hypnotic.
this more rural, homestyle scene of music production, distribution coupled with the obsession with horror imagery, local rivalries, southern ghetto life and all the characters invloved makes this vein of rap some of the most vivid and interesting to listen to...
i also happen to be from tennessee, so there is a connection there as well...

check this crunchy blac you tube clip, if you havent ever seen this, epic...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PuEzZfugpak

well triple 6 is 666

they let everyone know from the jump what their about but it's like ppl don't see it...gangsta boo did

is she back now?

great clip, makes me really sad Crunchy is gone... when Gangsta Boo left i really feel like they missed something and i feel like this will affect them even more... yeah, at this point they can get whoever to guest on it, but

a) i am not a huge of fan of people outside of Project Pat or UGK guesting on Three 6 records (that Lil Flip cameo on Ridin' Spinners has not aged well...) (tho wait, 8ball and MJG sounded great on Stay Fly...) well, i guess what i mean is they need to pick their cameos well, like Ludacris does not need to be on a triple 6 record...

b) those crunchy black sing-song verses are such a part of Three 6's sound to me, his style really is super unique...

if you ever find those old cassettes, post 'em, i've heard about them for years, but never heard 'em...

yeah, apparently gangtsta boo kind of freaked out and joined the church, renouncing all her past, but i feel like i read somewhere that she was 'back'... her contributions to this early stuff are so memorable, truly a dark princess of memphis rap....

i actually think its lord infamous' sing-song style is my favorite, some of his lines are the best off the early stuff i have heard and its tragic that his jail time basically cut him off from having his day, although there are still rumors of things that no one has heard and the promise of a new record when he gets out...

memphisrap.com is a good resource for some updates on the business of the ex/members of three 6, as well as some other news.

speaking of which, has anyone seen
this

this could be hilarious, embarrassing and sublime.

i will try to post some tracks soon. unfortunately, i 'lost' quite a bit on a harddrive crash, dont have the cds handy, but have a few items of interest...

robin

could someone re-up that album posted upthread if possible?
i'd love to hear some of this stuff

some early dj paul, half of an early 90's mixtape here
poor sound, but you can get an idea...

will post a few more bits as well...

enjoy.

Last edited:

robin

cheers night deposit
the link in the first post doesnt seem to go anywhere though...
downloading the mixtape now