Who isn't on myspace?

D

droid

Id say theyre all real, but the Autechre one definitely is... (NAMEDROP ALERT) I was chatting to them about it just the other week... :D

SIZZLE

gasoline for haters
Nick Gutterbreakz said:
Yeah, such a bunch of boring miserable cunts aren't they? ahhh fuck 'em. fuck 'em ALL.

Yeah exactly! You totally distilled what I was trying to say there, and in so few words! Amazing...

Sorry, couldn't resist. Has anyone coined the term 'Miserablist' yet? I must have heard it somewhere, I'll just throw it in there and let it stand on it's own. And Nick, there's so much general UK dickriding on this board that certainly we outsiders are allowed to throw a few rocks? I myself have been a card carrying member of the 'people who are believed to be british because of their artistic output but aren't' society for quite a while now, so I'm writing myself a pass.

michael

Bring out the vacuum
People I'm meeting here ask if I have a mixi address.

It has the added gmail style exclusivity of being invite-only. Existing members must send you a postcard inviting you to join and until that point you can't see any of what you may be missing out on. Clever, eh?

zhao

there are no accidents
this guy is not on myspace

beluga1.jpg

martin

----
I set up an account with a fake name and fake photo, pretending to be a music industry mogul, got as far as winding up a teenage James Blunt-wannabe who'd fucked up one of his solo gigs before he banned me. Then I forgot my login password, but was bored with it anyway. You get loads of girls saying "Hey...like your work, good luck with it! XXXX" and that's about it

Woebot

Guybrush

Dittohead
After having stumbled upon a few dodgy myspace pages in recent days—conspicuous since they had an enormous number of views and ‘total [song] plays’, but only a handful of ‘plays today’—I figured there must be some scripts to inflate the statistics floating around. I get back to you on the code-tweaking stuff, but have a look at the shady company below. I guess the lesson, as always, is to be suspicious of statistics.

Twenty-Four Hustle
As we direct our universal network to you, you will increase your webpage activity 24-7. We can help you get impressive increases in your song plays, profile views, and/or page views, pushing you up the charts to where new fans searching for artists in your genre, can actually discover you. You won't be invisible for long. Enjoy your popularity.

And this enterprising fellow:

Basically I can teach you how to increase your song plays 1000 - 2000 everyday! That's 500000+ every year. All you need is a computer and an internet connection. It will take approximately 30 mins to set up and then .15 seconds per-day to activate. The plays are gradual and real and you can use this technique on any myspace profile. You can even target a specific songs to increase (not just the main song that auto plays). Did I mention that to use this system it's free!? well it is. This is also an excellent method to increase plays for multiple profiles if your require. I will personally talk you though how to do it on msn and will be available via email if you have an problems at any time. This information WILL see your band climb the myspace charts and therefore you will gain more exposure to fans and industry. I have tested it personally and seen it work for many bands. For this information: $100 Alternatively: $10 per 1000 plays. (Maximum 2000 per day). Feel free to send me a profile url to demo for you, but I wont send anymore than 500 plays as I know the value of this service. I wont be able to start this project for another day or so but I look forward to helping you out. Escrow is required. If you have any questions please feel free to ask. Thanks and all the best. Ash

This friend-adder bot is just delightful too:

[...]Use to gain even more visibility among your friend's friends. ex. Leave 225 comments x avg 500 friends per profile = 112,500 comment views per day![...]

Old news, perhaps, but a revelation to me. Does anyone know of any bands which have artificially bolstered their stats?

john eden

male pale and stale
I'm not on there but am thinking about it. Not because I like it but because there are a few people on there I want to get hold of and there doesn't seem to be any other way of doing it. Perhaps myspace is reaching some kind of critical mass?

mms

sometimes
i have one which is occasionally good for checking out what people who do events or artists etc are doing, if you can get on it etc. but i don't look at it much, mainly delete all people who want to be my friend. i have tried to write some ok things up there but there is no point really, who cares, it is the worst aspects of blogging writ large matt's right.
there are other more sophisticated ones out there developing etc, bebo for da youth etc..
k punk has one i seen it.

Last edited:
N

nomadologist

I'm not on there but am thinking about it. Not because I like it but because there are a few people on there I want to get hold of and there doesn't seem to be any other way of doing it. Perhaps myspace is reaching some kind of critical mass?

i really use myspace for practical reasons, because i have friends who've moved all over the country, and if anyone changes their cell number, or if you don't have their primary email address, you can myspace message them and they get notification. it's actually really useful.

i've got one, you all can add me if you want. i accept bands but if you're one of those million bulletin a day people, i'll erase you:

http://www.myspace.com/amnexten

P.S. I'm friends with tons of artists, I've even met some of them now, and Juan Atkins and some of those detroit guys really use it: I bet if you sent them a question, they'd answer. The older artists on myspace actually use it themselves, i think, they're not always just PR kits as websites...

Last edited:
N

nomadologist

heh. i'm going to try to add you. if i don't get "approved" that will mean one less "friend", won't it?

seriously you should try messaging some of the artists you have added as friends, and pretend you don't know they're dead. like send sun ra a message and see what how he answers...

mms

sometimes
heh. i'm going to try to add you. if i don't get "approved" that will mean one less "friend", won't it?

seriously you should try messaging some of the artists you have added as friends, and pretend you don't know they're dead. like send sun ra a message and see what how he answers...

i'm already in contact with sun-ra - using a different message board...:cool:

all the people in the top 8 i pretty much know as friends i think ... actually lee perry i don't know..

Last edited:
N

nomadologist

i think if myspace would just have a more pleasing design, it would be great--the interface could use some tweaking but in general, it's simple to use and serves a purpose

N

nomadologist

for some reason, maybe it's the detail some people put into it, those fake philosopher/thinker profiles make me laugh. there are some great ones on friendster, or were, back in the day