DMZ in Sheffield was a revelation

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
Oh jesus. Some horrible thread rot here.

No there aren't that many black people in Sheffield, and no, white people in Sheffield are not particularly racist - BNP, Blood & Honour etc haven't done well here at.

tainted your thread did we ???

...sorry bout that

and BTW Jesus won't save you...

...only you can do that

and for all it's spiritual worth I don't think dubstep will do it either...

...so what's sheffield famous for then ???

mms

sometimes
HELL_SD said:
croydon, that's where that dude died in barrymores pool eh ???

hell sd - you jump to massive default conclusions and generalisations sometimes and at the same time curse those who you see as doing the same thing.

this would be fine if you knew the answers but you need to ask questions before you can get answers.

Last edited:

matt b

Indexing all opinion
HELL_SD said:
so what are some of the questions i should be asking mms ???

the first one you should ask is 'why did i bring up race in this thread for no reason whatsoever?'

mms

sometimes
HELL_SD said:
tainted your thread did we ???

...sorry bout that

and BTW Jesus won't save you...

...only you can do that

and for all it's spiritual worth I don't think dubstep will do it either...

...so what's sheffield famous for then ???

use some humility .

whats the point in asking questions mms if you or anyone else are not gonna answer them but give me some sanctimonious advice instead huh ???

and no one brought up race matt, merely melanin content of the average dubsteppa as it relates to culture/class, geography and the spread of the musical virus...

...a more interesting avenue of discourse than sprituality and in my opinion, much needing of redress before touching on the spiritual aspect of dubstep

me thinks, that was my reason...

...what thinks you ???

Dubstep is more white middle class as opposed to grime which is more black working class...

dubstep then has way more potential to blow up commercially cos poor black folk can't afford to be buying vinyl and the spiritual aspect is easier to latch on to without all those angry, grimey lyrics cluttering up the beat...

Is there such a thing as christian grime ???

surely that would be some spiritual shit yeah ???

Blackdown

nexKeysound
When Stuart Lubbock died in his swimming pool, Michael Barrymore used to live in Essex, which is quite east and outside of London and a completely separate quarter of the capital to Croydon.

Barrymore now lives in New Zealand!

chur blackdown...

...not familiar at all with UK geography

yeah I knew he moved over here, they made a big song and dance of it when he did, lives in some swank apartment in auckland with his batty friend...

mms

sometimes
HELL_SD said:
chur blackdown...

...not familiar at all with UK geography

yeah I knew he moved over here, they made a big song and dance of it when he did, lives in some swank apartment in auckland with his batty friend...

yep you're almost there..just keep on like this ..

Last edited:

bassnation

the abyss
HELL_SD said:
Dubstep is more white middle class as opposed to grime which is more black working class...

things are not nearly as segregated here as you imagine them to be.

HELL_SD said:
Is there such a thing as christian grime ???

regligion does not have a monopoly on spirituality, but interestingly, this aspect of roots reggae (where dubstep takes some of its influence) is often religious in nature - just not your straight up christian kind.

music can be spiritual, its certainly touched my soul and taken me to many different places.

i respect your positions on quite a few things we've discussed - but i think you narrow it down too much to tribal and race issues.

cultures exist where we make them and that can be around just about anything. just because you don't buy into them doesn't render them meaningless for everyone.

Last edited:

matt b

Indexing all opinion
HELL_SD said:
and no one brought up race matt, merely melanin content of the average dubsteppa as it relates to culture/class, geography and the spread of the musical virus

so sorry, i didn't realise the term 'homies' or the statement 'total absence of black people' were so full of complex meaning

HELL_SD said:
...a more interesting avenue of discourse than sprituality and in my opinion, much needing of redress before touching on the spiritual aspect of dubstep

so start a new thread!

HELL_SD said:
...Dubstep is more white middle class as opposed to grime which is more black working class...
dubstep then has way more potential to blow up commercially cos poor black folk can't afford to be buying vinyl and the spiritual aspect is easier to latch on to without all those angry, grimey lyrics cluttering up the beat...

you admit you live 1000s of miles away and are unsure of context and then make this statement????

HELL_SD said:
...Is there such a thing as christian grime ??? surely that would be some spiritual shit yeah ???

so only christian's are spiritual? go and read 2step's blog.

the homophobia was a nice touch.

Last edited:
nah that middle/lower class dubstep/grime thing was just a probability generalisation based on what I hear and reading between the lines...

...I do think most things are tribal, a good pommy mate was telling me that's what the whole soccer hooligans thing is about not so much support for the teams but for the tribe who lives in the area and reflected in the uniform they wear and dialect they speak

like you could go 40 k down the road and be in some place where they don't even talk or think like you and you'd best be on guard...

...used to be that way in NZ but the treaty standardised maori and there hasn't been any new tribes or shifting of borders since 1840 so gradually they're becoming polynised into the wider polynesian cultural context again. I'd imagine like UK west indians becoming carribeanised then africanised and reconnecting with their cultures and traditions

I'd like to think that people can substitute culture for race when I bring the whole black/white thing up but guess not...

petty personal prejudice clouding our judgments like, what difference does it make if i called barrymores gay partner his batty friend like why is it gays can call themselves fags or queers but mainstream can't ???

or peeps not liking our beats cos I'm a forum slut

nigguh please... :p

...and the thing with spritual music is, like drugs it wears off and you're back to square one so you keep needing to up the dosage til you reach saturation then it's just a habit like going to church

how quick we are to label things...

...for to speak of the tao is not the tao

carry on autonomic...

I'd say we were back on track don't let me stifle your opinion...

...as you were

D

droid

HELL_SD said:
petty personal prejudice clouding our judgments like, what difference does it make if i called barrymores gay partner his batty friend like why is it gays can call themselves fags or queers but mainstream can't ???

Why can black people call each other 'nigger' and "mainstream cant"?

Its just double standards isnt it.... :confused:

nomos

Administrator
Dubmugga said:
carry on autonomic...
Will do...

Did you know that your melanin argument has origins in 19th C european scientific racism?

And that the cultural construct of 'race' developed at this time out of this supposed logic?

And that the same intellectual climate produced the idea of homosexuality as a socially and biologically dangerous condition (IE - the same argument made by proponents of the melanin argument)?

Have you ever noticed the irony in arguing for one form of equity and against another? Or in using the very arguments devised to support white (partriarchal) supremacy and social control?

Have you ever thought about how homophobia (like misogyny) only serves to divide oppressed people?

Have you read enough on AF to know the whole point of its futurism is to escape these ill-logics?

Do you just hijack other threads because you're worried that no one will reply if you start your own?

SIZZLE

gasoline for haters
I know I shouldn't write this but I'm going to anyway, sorry if this is further thread pollution guys.

Hell_SD: Not speaking for anyone else, but I don't like the beats that I've heard of yours because I just don't like them, I found them slow and boring. Not enough bounce or liveliness in there, all that talk about 'step'... Better step it up.

And your constant dickheadery both on here and dubstep forum is the reason people don't like you, the fact that your music isn't that exciting and your pushing it in peoples faces with your aggressive self promotion is not helping either. Your paranoid perception of 'everyone is against me' becomes truer every confrontational, disrespectful or bigoted post you make.

If you want to self-promote go on myspace and post comment banners on everyones page. That's what it's for. These forums are much more interesting as a place to talk about things besides promoting our own work. There's SO MANY places on the net for that.

And you, unless your gay, saying 'batty man' is just as fucked as me saying 'nigger' as a white man, no matter how afrocentric I may be. There's a history in these words and if you are not a member of the group in question it's just not that cool, no matter how much of a pass you may think you have. Why bother anyhow? Is there a lack of other words available?

And what you said equating spiritual music to drugs is just one of the most ignorant things I've ever heard. Maybe this is why you are having such a hard time as a producer. I know that for me music feeds my soul and offers me valuable emotional nourishment, makes me happy when I'm not and generally makes life worth living. To me none of those things are temporary. I can still remember riding the train to the school on cold dark winter mornings with my headphones on, how much the music made it possible for me to get through those miserable times and how much it meant to me then. That hasn't changed, I will love those tapes the same way if I hear them again now, because of what they meant to me at that time.