DMZ in Sheffield was a revelation

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
HELL_SD said:
unhelpful...WTF ???

so what are you saying ???

...Sheffield is a racist town mostly made up of white students into d'n'b who are now looking to dubstep for some spirituality
At a guess, it's more that dubstep outside of london at the moment is mainly attracting a hipster / bohemian crowd rather than a 'hardcore urban crowd'[1] who got into it through hearing it on the eclectic end of Radio 1 (Mary Ann Hobbs, John Peel, Rob Da Bank etc) rather than through listening to the pirates and / or being there when it evolved out of garage. I don't know if sprituality has anything specific to do with it - it's as likely to just be that it's got a new beat to dance to and a less coked up atmosphere than a lot of drum and bass nights: the same reasons that anyone else gets into it, really.

[1] clumsy attempt to sidestep issues of race and class

bassnation

the abyss
Slothrop said:
a less coked up atmosphere than a lot of drum and bass nights

off topic once again, but are dnb nights coked up these days? i thought it was all white students on ecstasy but seeing as i very rarely venture out these days, its all academic.

boomnoise

♫
Slothrop said:
At a guess, it's more that dubstep outside of london at the moment is mainly attracting a hipster / bohemian crowd rather than a 'hardcore urban crowd'[1] who got into it through hearing it on the eclectic end of Radio 1 (Mary Ann Hobbs, John Peel, Rob Da Bank etc) rather than through listening to the pirates and / or being there when it evolved out of garage.

OTM for me Slothrop - I do think this is the core of the issue. Different demographics init. Simple as that. Well, maybe not quiet as simple but as dubstep is spreading into areas with different race / class profiles who consume different media, representing a different element to the london crowd who are more aware of the history and development, this will become more apparant. Although why it's an issue, i don't know.

But i hope the numbers of fashion led hipsters getting 'into' dubstep are few. Everyone i know who likes dubstep does so geniunely - i couldn't really stomach it becoming a fashion thing.

Slothrop said:
I don't know if sprituality has anything specific to do with it - it's as likely to just be that it's got a new beat to dance to and a less coked up atmosphere than a lot of drum and bass nights: the same reasons that anyone else gets into it, really.

[1] clumsy attempt to sidestep issues of race and class

You seem to trivialise the spirituality thing here a bit. Dubstep's 'new beat 'and lack of coked up nonsense isn't the reason people experience it so intensely. At least for no one i've spoken to. It is something bigger than that.

Last edited:

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
boomnoise said:
You seem to trivialise the spirituality thing here a bit.
Probably, yeah. But by 'anything specific to do with it' I meant that it's not just people 'into d'n'b who are now looking to dubstep for some spirituality', but people getting into the whole sound and the vibe and loving the music. Or specifically, that people may be loving the music because of the spiritual element, but it'd be uncharitable to suggest that they don't really feel the music but are getting into it anyway because it's 'like, spiritual, maaan.' Maybve I'm reading too much into the original statement...

(I think on a deeper level I was trying to get away from the idea that if white middle class students (or other people that it's okay to hate on) get into the music it must be for some dubious reason like needing to pretend to have spirituality or thinking its the next cool thing and not just because they really like the music.)

rich_c90

boomnoise said:
Different demographics init. Simple as that. Well, maybe not quiet as simple but as dubstep is spreading into areas with different race / class profiles who consume different media, representing a different element to the london crowd who are more aware of the history

Pretty much in total agreement. What is true is that the crowd we got down on friday was completely different to the crowd we got down for Jammer/Skepta at the back end of last year. There was no difference in where we we're flyering/postering for the two events, but we got a very different crowd. That can only be taken to reflect that dubstep attracts/accesses a different demographic to grime.

But this isn't new. The crowd we got down for scotch egg & ove-naxx was student based, but totally different from the people who we're down on friday. Different music = different crowd.

I think its all too easy to think that the scenes are the same up north as they are in london, which just isn't true and - as boomnoise points out - this is unsurprising since there is alot of history to be remembered in london that isn't present elsewhere. Grime and dubstep have evolved together, thats true, but outside of london, they are much more seperate.

Peace, Rich_c90