DMZ in Sheffield was a revelation

MATT MAson

BROADSIDE
Hey?

You're from New Zealand?!?

That's near Ramesy St right? Is everything really upside down? My friend told me people in New Zealand shag sheep. But maybe he was there on an off day. That's where Lord of the Rings was filmed right? From what I saw in those films, you guys down there look pretty weird! Do you like Fosters? Do people listen to Dubstep while drinking Fosters and whacking a few shrimps on the barbie?? Does it have Digeridoos and stuff in it?

How does it all work?

I've been turned off dubstep myself for a long while, feel the same way Logan does about a lot of it. But FWD in the early days was that way, pure spiritual energy. Making it a priority to see DMZ next time they're here...

jay-s

anyway, back on topic. i can't help it, this bit in the original report caught my eye:

Sure, there was a bit when he was dropping some very downbeat tekky halfsteppers and I couldn’t help thinking that I could see how people could be turned off dubstep if seems too, well, gloomy. I could see where the accusations of it being low in energy come from. But this didn’t last long
:rolleyes:

but i do think that a good dj can build a very good dubstep set. there is a great variety of beat patterns in dubstep and longer transitions between tracks really can create something different (this was the case with 2 step as well, though). but as was noted on another thread, playing for the uninitiated is still difficult.

could this be a good news for bloggers? people apparently need to read about dubstep first in order to like it when they hear it.

i wouldn't mind hearing dubstep in a club again (i will play it here next month, but that doesn't really count).

Logos

Ghosts of my life
Sorry if I contributed to knocking this thread off course. I just found Hell_SD's remarks snide and not particularly constructive in the context of the thread. Which I think is typical.

For the record I did not say Sheffield was a racist town.

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
Logos said:
Sorry if I contributed to knocking this thread off course. I just found Hell_SD's remarks snide and not particularly constructive in the context of the thread. Which I think is typical.
No problem and quite right too.
Logos said:
For the record I did not say Sheffield was a racist town.
No you did not. :) Somebody else did though.

Fascinating (if wearying!) exercise, this thread, from a "spiritual" view point. Spirit defends itself, wu wei, say something about music being healing and out comes the pain, all that kind of stuff. Big up Dissensus crew.

robin

where can i hear some of DMZ's music?
(obviously in millions of dubstep sets,but i mean is there anywhere particular to start,and live sets online or anything)

nomos

Administrator
the best starting point would be barefiles.com and do a search for 'digital mystikz.'

also, bleep.com has most of their tracks available for download, although 'anti-war dub' isn't on there yet.

Logos

Ghosts of my life
autonomicforthepeople said:
the best starting point would be barefiles.com and do a search for 'digital mystikz.'

also, bleep.com has most of their tracks available for download, although 'anti-war dub' isn't on there yet.

Also search for 'DMZ' on barefiles and you will get the recent radio 1 essential mix.

As for other sets, I'd say that Mala/Loefah's two Breezeblock segments are the best place to get both sides of the DMZ sound, in quite high quality too.

From there I'd suggest the recent Skream rinse fm show with Mala guesting, which is a bit more anarchic and less focused but bare dubs played.

Also see if you can get the John Peel Tribute show mix Digital Mystikz did, that has some older still unreleased dubplates as well as some of the stuff that has made it on to vinyl.

barefiles.com is your best bet!

autonomicforthepeople said:
Will do...

Did you know that your melanin argument has origins in 19th C european scientific racism?

And that the cultural construct of 'race' developed at this time out of this supposed logic?

And that the same intellectual climate produced the idea of homosexuality as a socially and biologically dangerous condition (IE - the same argument made by proponents of the melanin argument)?

Have you ever noticed the irony in arguing for one form of equity and against another? Or in using the very arguments devised to support white (partriarchal) supremacy and social control?

Have you ever thought about how homophobia (like misogyny) only serves to divide oppressed people?

Have you read enough on AF to know the whole point of its futurism is to escape these ill-logics?

Do you just hijack other threads because you're worried that no one will reply if you start your own?

yeah i did know about the melanin thing being discovered in the 19th c and that people used it as an excuse for all sorts of atrocities based on a supposed superiority...

...as for the race thing are you talking bout eugenics ???

I thought homosexuality was way more accepted back then expecially in higher social circles but I can understand the easy jump from hating blacks to hating gays in one foul hit for what it's worth, I am far more tolerant than most, you have no idea . I do have a problem with white patriarchal supremacy and control for what they did to my people...

Yes I have thought about divide and conquer using whatever means neccessary like mysogyny and homophobia, it only works if you buy into it or can't see it for what it is...hiphop is full of it

i've read a bit on afro futurism, prolly not enough though got any links ??? escaping the ill-logics using music as a means to breakdown the culture barriers is fine until it gets co-opted by the system to promote its own agenda like how hiphop got jacked, souled out and is now just a marketing tool for the multinationals to promote consumerism, hope it doesn't happen to dubstep...

...funnily enough I saw DJ spooky rework a old 20's klan film as part of a "live" show but it just seemed like tokenism and pandering to the whole high art market and the beats weren't that flash

I don't know that i do hijack threads just go off on tangents and back again, sorry that's just how I am, not really into complying to set rules of behaviour...

...not really into starting threads, blogging, myspace or host sites and not really worried about anyone answering me either it's more about just putting shit out there as therapy almost and letting other people deal with it

big up sizzle lets hear your beats cos HELL_SD isn't about spiritual music it's another form of therapy for us and an experiment...

...I kinda prefer to keep spirituality out of dance music cos it's wasted on the drug zombies

and matt you're a funny cunt why not come to NZ and see how it all works for yourself I'll show you how us polynesians do, you'll love it..

nomos

Administrator
HELL_SD said:
I don't know that i do hijack threads just go off on tangents and back again, sorry that's just how I am, not really into complying to set rules of behaviour...
You actually brought up legitimate questions about race and dubstep that might deserve more attention, but when you make assumptions about other places and the people you're talking to, and keep coming back at them with it, it gets to be too much. Would have made for a good parallel thread since this one was just getting getting geared up in another direction.

And, fwiw, I actually like a lot of your beats even if I often disagree with you.

...like an old dog with a fresh bone

basically what i'm saying IMHO is, percieved spirituality in music without being spiritual in yourself won't last...

...kinda like the weeds growing between the cracks

yeah I've had epiphanies listening to tunes but they fade to become nostalgic echoes in the mind...

...so if music is all you got then you ain't got a lot

I know I'm not clever in an academic sense and can't frame my arguments cohesively, I'm all street and school of hard knocks, apologies once again if I offend thee...

...cut me out

big up dissensus crew !!!

viktorvaughn

HELL_SD said:
unhelpful...WTF ???

so what are you saying ???

...Sheffield is a racist town mostly made up of white students into d'n'b who are now looking to dubstep for some spirituality

I'd like to see the black/white thing addressed in dubstep like it is in grime cos from what i understood of dubstep's roots in Croydon is that it is quite a well of white middle class burb...

...where as the grime roots are pretty much council estate based

and maybe my mate went to forward on an off night but that's just what he said...

...of course I can understand the reluctance to deal with the whole black/white thing in music and focus on the PLUR thing but what about afrofuturism and rasta spirituality ???

then there is the culture question as well...

and i'm not relly interested in d'n'b comparisons anymore cos i went over that with conscious comparisons to early raggajungle getting squezzed out when it became d'n'b but it is interesting to note that some dubstep these days does lack a spiritual vibe...

Mate please put some thought into your posts. Sheffield holds some significance for some of us - i.e. we live there! It is not more or less racist then any other northern city in my experience; 99% lovely friendly people and a few nobheads. Logos totally nailed it with his post above yours. London is one of the most culturally mixed cities in the world, Sheffield, Manchester and Leeds are not going to compare, nothing wrong with that. As has been pointed out, in a lot of places there are less African or Caribean communites but rather massive Bangladeshi, Pakastani and Indian ones.

Nothing to do with people exploiting dubstep for its spirituality, what the fuck happened to just celebrating people enjoying good music?!

Last edited:

bassnation

the abyss
HELL_SD said:
...like an old dog with a fresh bone

basically what i'm saying IMHO is, percieved spirituality in music without being spiritual in yourself won't last...

...kinda like the weeds growing between the cracks

yeah I've had epiphanies listening to tunes but they fade to become nostalgic echoes in the mind...

so you have to be religious to have any spirituality? this is totally wrong.

i think all of us a rooted to something bigger than we are capable of understanding at a rational level.

music, at the right time in the right place can put you in touch with that, just like all good art. the fact that things move on and you might not get the same feeling from that piece of music the next time is irrelevant to this point.

if people don't have a framework and they just get the odd glimpse, what does it matter? why all these arbitary rules of engagement with art?

HELL_SD said:
...so if music is all you got then you ain't got a lot

this doesn't fit with my experience of music in my own life. up to the point of having children, it was everything to me.

Last edited:

matt b

Indexing all opinion
back to the initial question at hand, having attended reggae dances / notting hill carnival for 15 years or so (YIKES!) i do think that something special happens in there. i think dmz touch on similar things.

i'm not religious and i'm not a rasta but shaka has always been spiritual scaffolding at 3.00am, holding you up, not letting you leave.

could just be the weed though ;)

SIZZLE

gasoline for haters
Hell_SD: check your PMs, I sent a link to some of my tunes. And in case your wondering I didn't post it publicly because I enjoy keeping a thin bit of anonymity between my 'musician' and 'forum posting' personalities, so that I can speak a bit more freely on here and not make everything I say a press-release. Everyone has their own approaches but... you might want to look into it if you think people are dissing your music because of the things you say on the forums. And no, it's not a big secret, I just don't want every dumb thing I post up here popping up on google when someone checks for my artist name.

And I wouldn't say what I do is about 'spiritual music', but music is a way of channeling and sending energy, vibes, feelings and sometimes those head into spirituality. I know DJing and raving are the closest I get to church. And I strongly disagree that you need to participate in organized or systematized religion to be spiritual, many would argue the opposite.

And music is mostly all I've got, and I'm pretty happy thanks. Judging by the level of attacking other people you and I each do I might even be happier than you... :p

I never said sheffield was racist, I don't even know where it is or anybody from there...

...and i also never said anything about being religious to be spiritual or arbitrary rules on art

but the rules of engagement give the punters something to wax lyrical about, I mean you gotta have rules dont ya ???...

bassnation said:
up to the point of having children, it was everything to me.

exactly cos it was to me too but kids soon show you what is important and what is truly spiritual...

...so does listening to dubstep on a decent PA really put you closer in touch with the creator and for how long ???

music is not my be all and end all it's just something we do cos we can and like I said it's good therapy to bang out a beat and put all your frustration/anger/whatever in there so maybe that's what digital mystics do that make people resonate with them so much...

...infuse their beats with lurrrve and what we don't do.

I guess thats the difference between a hell scientist and a digital mystic...

prolly just the weed though ;)

D

droid

HELL_SD said:
I never said sheffield was racist, I don't even know where it is or anybody from there...

HELL_SD said:
...Sheffield is a racist town mostly made up of white students into d'n'b who are now looking to dubstep for some spirituality

FYI, Sheffiled was the home of WARP records and probably one of the most important cities in the world for electronic music in the 80's/early 90's...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sheffield

nah, my apologies cos it can be read that way without proper punctuation and grammar...

...not my strong points

*makes mental note to myself*

must put more thought into my posts, not more thoughts...

:eek: