My Bloody Valentine thread

noel emits

a wonderful wooden reason
I dunno. The original CD issue always sounded pretty flat.

Wasn't there an officially sanctioned audophile 180gsm vinyl repress a few years ago that was supposed to have been nicely remastered? Not sure if Shields or the band were directly involved.

The original mastering on Isn't Anything was notoriously botched as well I think.

You hear a lot about how trying to get everything super loud is ruining the sound of music but people often forget that the mastering on a lot of CDs until the mid 90s was actually just rubbish - A/D converters and processing software have come a long way.

Last edited:

sodiumnightlife

Sweet Virginia
in that omm interview with shields a while ago it was talking about how shields noticed an overall glitch in the sound of loveless, right at the very end of the huge recording process and wanted to start again. any ideas what this was?

Benny Bunter

in that omm interview with shields a while ago it was talking about how shields noticed an overall glitch in the sound of loveless, right at the very end of the huge recording process and wanted to start again. any ideas what this was?

A product of his pot-addled paranoid imagination? :slanted:

sodiumnightlife

Sweet Virginia
I guess it was probably that. Can you imagine alan mcgee's reaction though when kevin said he wanted to do it all again? No wonder he had a nervous breakdown.

craner

Beast of Burden
Never mind MBV, Taylor Parkes is clearly out of practice.

While its roots show through in songwriting and performance, the sound of this record owes nothing to the past, in any sense - livid, lurid and lucid, it’s the shattering racket of the moment, an audio snapshot of the overwhelmed senses, a noise like nothing you’ve ever heard, but everything you’ve ever felt. Rather than rock, My Bloody Valentine played the tones and textures of raw experience: the weight of the air before a thunderstorm, the shifting hum of psychosis, the quickening blood… it’s all there in the warped babel of wildfire guitar.

Dreadful writing!

luka

i read a review of the fall by him the missus showed me. he is easily the worst writer in the world.

swears

preppy-kei
Sorry, but you've got to love anyone who comes out with prose like:

"...the hundreds of thousands of Lemonheads fans who clog our education system like dead pigeons in an air vent."

noel emits

a wonderful wooden reason
I really hope that this is a continuation of the band- new songs- i will be mightily fucking disappointed to find that this is some greatest hits repackage but i would also be very surprised. I loved this band so much but have no interest in going for back-in-the-day shenanigans.
Anyone going to the ICA tomorrow?

I've got tickets for the Roundhouse on the 20th and I'm still not sure how I feel about it. For a while I wasn't going to go but I think I will now, to see the venue if nothing else. Could be grizzly though, not the band so much as but the audience. I'll be looking around wondering how many people haven't listened to anything new since 1991. Is that fair? MBV were never that spectacular live though anyway, just loud and distant.

craner

Beast of Burden
He's not the worst writer in the world, but those reviews are sloppy, quite awful. He's been struck down by clinical depression for a number of years now, and not writing. I guess it's been debilitating. Although that didn't dissolve Penman's talent, so...

craner

Beast of Burden
He wrote up this very funny interview when he was very young and new and I still like him for it:

http://kuci.org/~nraggett/taylorsmash.html

His later response being:

Well.....it's OK, anyway. I think that when I did the same thing with Bis a couple of years later, I came up with a much, much better article, but that's not bad for a beginner (that was only the fourth feature I'd ever written for anyone). Kind of horrible reading it back, though, because I can see exactly where the editing has happened, and to me it sticks out a mile. All the awkward, journalese phrases I'd never use, pasted in, in place of a longer, better- written way of saying the same thing. That's what it's like at a national paper, though, with some justification I suppose.
Also, the kind of articles we had to write at MM don't archive too well, because they *were* disposable, and they were written with that in mind. Our primary objective had to be taking on the concerns of our readers, which were often minute concerns indeed. The bigger issues everyone remembers us talking about (most of which stemmed from an acknowledgement that pop is, for all its immaturity and its many sins, bigger and better than us, and to train a healthy pop response - that is, to meet pop on its own terms - it's first necessary to make our minds a little less lazy and squalid than they usually are) were only raised as either a counter-argument to whatever bilge the indie world was pumping out at the time (to shame and chill these people in the shadow), or as backup and context when plugging some new wonder. We weren't allowed to write stand-alone thinkpieces, and our word-counts were kept low-ish (2,500-3,000 words for a cover story). We had it easy compared to the trussed seals of latter-day music magazines, with their feature templates and wasteful sidebars, but we had nothing like the freedom - in terms of content as well as length - enjoyed by writers for, say, Creem or NME in the 1970s, or Melody Maker itself in the late 80s. I liked this discipline in a way, because writing for a weekly and being forced to follow trends, albeit with a take-the-piss option, makes one feel quite alive, quite useful, as though one lived in Japan or something, and as I said earlier, I was 22 or something at the time. A good age to be in charge of a weekly feed of very-contemporary, constantly- shifting opinions, perhaps a bad age to be allowed to write 6,000 unedited words that are supposed to go down in history.

A few months after that S*M*A*S*H interview was published, I ran into one of them in a bar in London. I anticipated a row, but instead he complimented me on the article, and said, oddly, that "we sat down and talked about it and we decided you'd raised some good points. It had quite an influence on us". A month later I heard their new single, a dancey, poppy remix of one of the album tracks, with a video that looked a little like the video to "Groove Is In The Heart". About three weeks after that, they split up.

He was good.

swears

preppy-kei
But I still say this is no time for naivety. I still say idealism must be tempered with a certain focused cynicism. I still think that, to make pop that reflects the age, one must first embrace the age, all its chaos, paranoia, greed, glamour, inauthenticity, technology; its loss of all sense of community, its open, aching emptiness.

It's weird with Parkes for me, I don't really share much of his taste in music at all, but I love his style and agree with a lot of the conclusions he spins off from the original subject.

craner

Beast of Burden
Through some weird connection I attended his 30th birthday party in his Highgate bedsit in 2003, a sombre experience, it must be said, depsite the absinthe. He spent a large part of the night absorbed by his laptop, talking about Wings.

craner

Beast of Burden
Simon Reynolds just referred to this article on his blog as one of the best pieces of music writing in 2008 (unless I am confused).

Fair enough, but what do you think of it? Do you think it's good?

craner

Beast of Burden
Just read Reynolds piece - the best piece of music writing this year?

Well, 1. good for sticking up for an old friend. 2. There is no music press now, is there? So the competition is not large. TP is a good, and can be great, writer. That review was, in every sentence, bad writing.

Chris

fractured oscillations
Nar I reckon it will be good, becuase you will be able to hear all the discreet parts when you smoke some cheeba!

Yes, and more coherent vocals wouldn't hurt either, and less sustain. And Kevin, for another trippy effect, how bout ya try putting some autotune on your Jaguar praps? That whole bendy-notes thing is making me sea sick.

Last edited: