Rave revival?

swears

preppy-kei
The new Klaxons song "Golden Skans" sounds like Keane or something. Really, really generic post-Coldplay tosh.

alo

PHP:
So, Romo was a failed attempt at a 1981 revival in 1995?

I remember this! Probably the only copy of the Melody Maker i ever bought! The same issue with a review of the Smashing Pumpkins' "Melon Collie Anf The Infinite Sadness" with a picture of them in a trolley?

.....Anyway.. Yeah, who were the bands again? Seems bizarre this thing emerging at the height of BlokePop.

Actually, on second thoughts perhaps not. Doomed either way....

swears

preppy-kei
I've been intrigued by this "Romo" thing since I read an interview with Zoot Woman where the journalist mentioned it briefly stating that maybe '95 had been too early for an 80s revival, but 2001 was gonna be the year, people, etc, etc...
'Cause I just remember that everybody used "80s" as a byword for naffness back then.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I went to an awesome rave (with Squarepusher as a surprise guest!) a few years back in a forest clearing in Norfolk, organised by some people who used to put on an amazing electro/techno night called Wang, in London. Unfortunately they seem to have stopped putting on parties as of last summer.

Bang Face put on a awesome monthly night in Elekrowerkz, London. They call it 'neo rave', but whether you think that's a daft term or not they have good music (mostly jungle/breakcore with some really cool acid as well, frequent Black Sabbath mash-ups, vintage Prodigy - although it's no nostalgia-fest) and a really friendly crowd.

[b]racket

I went to an awesome rave (with Squarepusher as a surprise guest!) a few years back in a forest clearing in Norfolk, organised by some people who used to put on an amazing electro/techno night called Wang, in London. Unfortunately they seem to have stopped putting on parties as of last summer.

Wang threw some amazing parties.

They were meant to be involved in the whole BLOC weekend thing but they pulled out at a very early stage.

Shame.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Wang threw some amazing parties.

They were meant to be involved in the whole BLOC weekend thing but they pulled out at a very early stage.

Shame.

Did you used to go there when it was it was in the Premises on Hackney Road?
Furthermore, are you a mate of IdleRich's, by any chance?

woops

is not like other people

Bang Face put on a awesome monthly night in Elekrowerkz, London. They call it 'neo rave', but whether you think that's a daft term or not they have good music (mostly jungle/breakcore with some really cool acid as well, frequent Black Sabbath mash-ups, vintage Prodigy - although it's no nostalgia-fest) and a really friendly crowd.

then there's their joint thing, 'wang face', boom

wonk_vitesse

radio eros
is it still possible to go to a rave without it being 'neo','nu','post'? , went to a stormer this friday in central london, anyone who was there will know what i'm talkin about. ;)

it's a shame Bangface is in ewerkz and most people i know have got tired of it, but to be honest february's lin-up is so awesome we're all going down there, Enduser returns to London at last!

gabriel

The Heatwave
I've been intrigued by this "Romo" thing since I read an interview with Zoot Woman where the journalist mentioned it briefly stating that maybe '95 had been too early for an 80s revival, but 2001 was gonna be the year, people, etc, etc...
'Cause I just remember that everybody used "80s" as a byword for naffness back then.

ah fuck, i thought i'd be able to remember some of the bands' names, but i really can't. one maybe had the word gold in the title? lol. and wasn't simon price, the journalist who was most behind the 'scene', also in one of the bands?

STN

sou'wester
ah fuck, i thought i'd be able to remember some of the bands' names, but i really can't. one maybe had the word gold in the title? lol. and wasn't simon price, the journalist who was most behind the 'scene', also in one of the bands?

Orlando were one of the bands. Strangelove were another (weren't they?) and their singer used to work in that Oxfam on the Triangle in Bristol and played guitar sometimes with The Heads. Simon Price and Taylor Parkes were the two main journalists, I don't know if either of them was ever in a band.

Last edited:

swears

preppy-kei
Listened to some mp3s on thisisromo.com, and I have to say I'm dissapointed. Just really bad, dated euro-techno pop and post-britpop guitar stuff, no wonder it failed to set the charts alight. They looked a crap too, like Menswe@r with a bit of eyeliner on.

STN

sou'wester
I have my reasons for knowing about this stuff (says I, trying to make being a sad twat sound all enigmatic). I came across the where-are-they-now type info by chance/from friends. I'm not in the business of stalking people from forgotten half-arsed bands.

Ultrasound were another, I think. Rialto, anyone?

gabriel

The Heatwave
ultrasound weren't really romo were they? not sure i ever heard any of their music, but from the reviews i read in melody maker i'd say they were kind of proto-emo (lol, i've no idea what emo sounds like either but remember MM journalists banging on about how emotional ultrasound gigs were). whenever i see beth ditto nowadays i'm reminded of ultrasound's (massive) singer called tiny. he wore make up and stuff as well, though not as camply as the romo bands at all. think they were much more straight up indie

i remember rialto too, but again, never heard any of their music (this is true of SO MANY bands that i used to read about - would never bother to listen to their stuff)

STN

sou'wester
I never heard Ultrasound either, they were supposedly going to be massive. Rialto were okay as I recall, their singer had the most amazing bowl-cut I have ever seen. He used to be in Kinky Machine who were rubbish and also maybe a band called Geneva... Have I moved out of romo and into general crap indie here?

PeteUM

It's all grist
web_romo.jpg

What am I bid for this? Note how it is still sealed...

:)

gabriel

The Heatwave
cool.

actually i've got one though (shame) - but it's not sealed. in fact, i seem to remember scrawling abusive anti-romo graffiti all over it, including, if i remember correctly, prince's 'slave' motif on someone's cheek and a speech bubble saying 'i am a twat' or something along those lines.... very childish.

STN

sou'wester
cool.

actually i've got one though (shame) - but it's not sealed. in fact, i seem to remember scrawling abusive anti-romo graffiti all over it, including, if i remember correctly, prince's 'slave' motif on someone's cheek and a speech bubble saying 'i am a twat' or something along those lines.... very childish.

I wonder how often 'anti-romo graffiti' has been scrawled anywhere, it seems so niche.

On a sidenote, speaking of defacing reading matter, I found a completely clean, undefaced copy of the French textbook Tricolore in my mate's flat the other day. Surely a one-off?