Rave revival?

mms

sometimes
Well yesterday Simon Price wrote a piece in the Independent On Sunday about the Klaxons - very favourably! The new Punk, he sez. Yawn...

Still, must admit i'm vaguely curious to hear their remake of The Bouncer...

it's basically like that band snuff. quite funny thats all. snuff were funny too.

simon price was one of the main romo protagonists wasn't he?

Last edited:

gek-opel

entered apprentice
Yeah that's the one- also I seem to recall he adored the Manic Street Preachers. So "The new punk then".

swears

preppy-kei
simon price was one of the main romo protagonists wasn't he?

So, Romo was a failed attempt at a 1981 revival in 1995? Everybody was very hostile to the idea at the time, I gather. Any information on the web about this? Seems sort of intriguing. I remember a general hostility towards anything too dandyish or "eighties" as a teenager in the nineties.

I agree. What's the point in being sentimental about rave? you might aswell just go to one...
http://acidmonkey.com

Surely the first "revival" of something which to anyone except sad nme/broadsheet music writers and the ever-shrinking number of people who take them seriously is still hardly dead from the first time around. To be honest every week there's probably more "raves" in the wider context on around the country than there was in 88-92 - clubbing/raving whatever its just what certain people like doing well away from the dictates of "fashion".

Incidentally, pedantically and notwithstanding the above it was mentioned that the twenty year limit for a sucessful "revival" wont be until 2011/12 but surely that is if the actual highpoint of hardcore as rave is taken as rave per se.I know the word "rave" was already extremely commonplace as early as 1989 (maybe even 1988)although usually used in the context of going "raving" that early rather than as a noun. EG "Are you going to Sin in town this weekend?" "no I got off it at Sunrise at White Waltham last Saturday but maybe I'll be ravin in a couple of weeks if that Biology party comes off "

marke

Tumbling Dice
so - no-one else tempted to pick up the new NME with cd mix by Simian Mobile Disco that puts together a bunch of these new rave type bands (klaxons/shitdisco/gossip/datarock)?

aside all the easy target syndrome that can be applied - tis actually a cracking 60 minutes.

certainly a lot more enjoyable than i expected.

just make sure you bin the rag.

m.e/ireallylovemusic

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
so - no-one else tempted to pick up the new NME with cd mix by Simian Mobile Disco that puts together a bunch of these new rave type bands (klaxons/shitdisco/gossip/datarock)?

aside all the easy target syndrome that can be applied - tis actually a cracking 60 minutes.

m.e/ireallylovemusic
Tar and feathers on standby...

swears

preppy-kei
That "We are your Friends" tune by Simian has a couple of ace remixes one by Justice and one by some fella I can't remember....and a good bootleg by Erol Alkan which sticks the vocal on top of "Fast Track" by Ettienne De Crecy. Don't think I fancy this mix though, just indie-dance isn't it?

muser

seen a few vids of the klaxons and look like utter bollocks to me (or to my tastes) if you want neo rave mentalism go to bangface i reckon ! www.bangface.com

Last edited:
N

nomadologist

Not to constantly beat the "continental divide" dead horse, but it's interesting to me that this could ever happen in the US, because there is nothing more desperately uncool than taking e over here. The DFA is as close to "nu-rave" as cowboy authenticity-baiters like us are willing to let slip in under the radar.

The Klaxons' take on rave culture reminds me of the American journalists' version from 1995 where it was headline news that there was this terrible "new" drug called "ecstasy" scourging suburban youth. This evil drug was even making them enjoy embodiment, and they'd touch one another! So funny, their brightly colored clothes.

Lest we forget that most original ravers (in Philly, NY, Chicago, LA at least) were either meth- or dust-heads, did NOT wear candynecklaces and did NOT suck on pacifiers. Nothing casual about the drug use. Nothing spiritual. Those who tried to believe there was something more than decadence at hand were derisively known as "candyravers" here.

To this day, my "authentic" ex-raver friends are excellent cell phone numbers to have on hand in times of need. But they're all properly medicated, too. It took some of them years of heavy anti-epilepsy medication and MAOIs to semi-normalize. They're none of them eager to go back to the rave lifestyle.

Just more revisionist history as nostalgia/Boring two-dimensional retrofuturism. Camp? maybe

N

nomadologist

sorry this is a way old thread--i hope i'm not fucking this up.

can't. figure. out. message...board.

mms

sometimes
Not to constantly beat the "continental divide" dead horse, but it's interesting to me that this could ever happen in the US, because there is nothing more desperately uncool than taking e over here. The DFA is as close to "nu-rave" as cowboy authenticity-baiters like us are willing to let slip in under the radar.

The Klaxons' take on rave culture reminds me of the American journalists' version from 1995 where it was headline news that there was this terrible "new" drug called "ecstasy" scourging suburban youth. This evil drug was even making them enjoy embodiment, and they'd touch one another! So funny, their brightly colored clothes.

Lest we forget that most original ravers (in Philly, NY, Chicago, LA at least) were either meth- or dust-heads, did NOT wear candynecklaces and did NOT suck on pacifiers. Nothing casual about the drug use. Nothing spiritual. Those who tried to believe there was something more than decadence at hand were derisively known as "candyravers" here.

To this day, my "authentic" ex-raver friends are excellent cell phone numbers to have on hand in times of need. But they're all properly medicated, too. It took some of them years of heavy anti-epilepsy medication and MAOIs to semi-normalize. They're none of them eager to go back to the rave lifestyle.

Just more revisionist history as nostalgia/Boring two-dimensional retrofuturism. Camp? maybe

this wasn't entirely the case in the uk where rving was born, everything started wih an e.
dfa are new rave if that's what the nme want...

mms

sometimes

m.e/ireallylovemusic

it sounded like electroclash with a few more real guitars and vocals, a few more brightly trancey productions with bigger cheesier breakdowns than electroclash and strangely 'secret life' by material on there which was the best track.
the gossip track was quite bold, the whole cd is quite 'big' which reminded me a bit of 808 state who always had massive sounds.

wonk_vitesse

radio eros
Really enjoyed the Klaxons 'Bouncer' version, maybe the sheer implausibility of it, sounded great to me. I think it's funny that nu-rave, old style rave & 'old skool' can kind of all exist in the UK as successive tribes reinterpret & revere the music.

It shows how culturally deep it went really, the Uk certainly did rave it's arse off ;) as for Bangface , well it has it's moments but seems miles off the original vibe, more like Beerface :p

Gabba Flamenco Crossover

High Sierra Skullfuck
Really enjoyed the Klaxons 'Bouncer' version, maybe the sheer implausibility of it, sounded great to me. I think it's funny that nu-rave, old style rave & 'old skool' can kind of all exist in the UK as successive tribes reinterpret & revere the music.

Maybe a creative misunderstanding between the UK & US meanings of 'hardcore'?

I still think the Klaxons are shit though.

tryptych

waiting for a time
Just heard the th Klaxons forthcoming LP, and I have to say it's not really "nu-rave" at all. Apart from the tracks already released, the rest of it is jsut plain old indy. Not all that bad though, occasional Bowie-ish vocals. And I do like their cover of "Not Over".

I'm off to see them and Simian Mobile Disco at the NME's big nu-rave bash tonight, so will report back - I've had reports that the atmosphere has been pretty mental so should be interesting at least...

Talking of DFA, you should all check out their new signings, my friends Prinzhorn Dance School.

Last edited:

tryptych

waiting for a time
it sounded like electroclash with a few more real guitars and vocals, a few more brightly trancey productions with bigger cheesier breakdowns than electroclash and strangely 'secret life' by material on there which was the best track.
the gossip track was quite bold, the whole cd is quite 'big' which reminded me a bit of 808 state who always had massive sounds.

It sounds quite a lot like big beat to me too...

if anyone wants it you can download it here:

http://ill-ec-tro-nic.blogspot.com/2006/10/newer-wave-of-nu-rave.html

Not bad brief summation too.