Topic: Lily Allen- Inform The American

gek-opel

entered apprentice
The music is all very tame isn't it? I mean the initial buzz (zzzz) was that she was in some respects more "grime" or "dancehall" or what-have-you but all you get is plastic ska, to be honest I think I prefer Paris Hilton's attempts at white reggae....

tate

Brown Sugar
The music is all very tame isn't it? I mean the initial buzz (zzzz) was that she was in some respects more "grime" or "dancehall" or what-have-you but all you get is plastic ska, to be honest I think I prefer Paris Hilton's attempts at white reggae....
Lily Allen was described as "grime" somewhere? I find that very difficult to imagine.

Last edited:

gek-opel

entered apprentice
It was more the pre-release hype with her "mixtapes", which I think had some pop-grime tunes on. It would of course be utterly laughable to describe Ms Allen in any sense (musically, socially, aesthetically) as "grime"!

Poisonous Dart

Lone Swordsman
I just heard her mixtapes

It was more the pre-release hype with her "mixtapes", which I think had some pop-grime tunes on. It would of course be utterly laughable to describe Ms Allen in any sense (musically, socially, aesthetically) as "grime"!

Hold on...did she put these out HERSELF and just make a couple of mixes with her material thrown in and made it available as a promotion through MySpace? That is so obvious and simple that it's DAMN NEAR genius...she did covers and some original songs and mixed genres of music well...that's how she secured her deal? Does she have handlers/svengalis a la Cassie (her star burned out and crashed to Earth...all BEFORE her second single!)? One.

Norma Snockers

Hold on...did she put these out HERSELF and just make a couple of mixes with her material thrown in and made it available as a promotion through MySpace? That is so obvious and simple that it's DAMN NEAR genius...she did covers and some original songs and mixed genres of music well...that's how she secured her deal? Does she have handlers/svengalis a la Cassie (her star burned out and crashed to Earth...all BEFORE her second single!)? One.

Her Dad is a famous actor/coke distributor in the Groucho club. Her mixtapes were spammed allover 'interesting' forums (not this one). She had nothing to do with any of it apart from agreeing to the props etc. from it all.

tryptych

waiting for a time
Her Dad is a famous actor/coke distributor in the Groucho club. Her mixtapes were spammed allover 'interesting' forums (not this one). She had nothing to do with any of it apart from agreeing to the props etc. from it all.

Out of interest, which "interesting" forums were those?

She definately had a PR company working for her before the whole myspace explosion...

outraygeous

i dont understand why she wears loads of tom like shes just walked off my local estate

but maybe she is really like that.

i dont mind her album, just dont like her image

Logos

Ghosts of my life
i dont mind her album, just dont like her image

She wears what 90% of the girls between 16 and 25 in London have been wearing all year as far as i can tell.

I quite like her songs, who cares who her Dad is. The fact that she exists I quite enjoy, being that it reflects little things about London in a non-controversial way. I think I like the fact that she is one of those accidental things pop throws up every now and again, like early Madonna maybe?

Logan Sama

BestThereIsAtWhatIDo
No one gets big from Myspace.

PR companies just say this to make it look like there hasnt been a 2 year long masterminded campaign to implant their act's music into the world's consciousness.

Same with Arctic Monkeys.

Poisonous Dart

Lone Swordsman
I guess I need to find out who they are

No one gets big from Myspace.

PR companies just say this to make it look like there hasnt been a 2 year long masterminded campaign to implant their act's music into the world's consciousness.

Same with Arctic Monkeys.

I guess I should next find out who the hell the Arctic Monkeys are, huh? LOL. I didn't even know there were five members of Girls Aloud until last night....Americans are so isolated from the rest of the world...the last British pop star they remember was Kylie Minogue, before that Robbie Williams, The Spice Girls, S Club 7 and All Saints...Oh, yeah, I forgot about Eternal and Cleopatra. One.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
I guess I should next find out who the hell the Arctic Monkeys are, huh? LOL. I didn't even know there were five members of Girls Aloud until last night....Americans are so isolated from the rest of the world...the last British pop star they remember was Kylie Minogue, before that Robbie Williams, The Spice Girls, S Club 7 and All Saints...Oh, yeah, I forgot about Eternal and Cleopatra. One.

Check out Jamelia and her new CD and the last one if you want UK pop genius though PD.

mms

sometimes
she's part of that whole mike skinner > artic monkeys > lilly thing where people speak about going to clubs, relationships etc being hung over and crying, taking drugs,
was talking to my brother about this, he's 23, it just connects on the level that he does the stuff they talk about and they say mobile phone and myspace in their songs rather than constant indie wining or lovely dovey stuff etc.

her music is kinda vaguley connecting with a kind of specials/ two tone thing i guess, she uses old ska samples (she should have used a band imo) my dad might like it. her lyrics are wack (ldn where she explains to those who don't know that london has a dark underbelly is particulary painful, and her voice is a little weak but musically it's popular because it's bright and sunny and not yet another 30 something indie cunt droning on or a smiling singer songwriter hairy man wiv an coustic geetar saying boring obvious shit. I'm gl\d she's about if only to contrast with those cunts.
sandy thom can swing though.

gek-opel

entered apprentice
Incidentally I think she was signed before releasing anything, (incl these so-called "mixtapes") and before she create a myspace account. She did well creatively with these, but all the time there was a parallel conventional PR campaign, very clever stuff...

I'm 24, but to be honest all this work-a-day stuff is dull as dishwater- Mike Skinner got away with it well on his first album because he was skillful enough to analyse these conventional things in a sometimes transcendental way (weak become heroes etc etc) whereas the Spastic Monkeys and Lily Allen are just heartbreakingly dull. If you're going to do this kind of thing, you have to be able to pull something revelatory from the everyday, like the best hip hop does, those little details or fresh ways of seeing things... The AMs just remind me of George Fornby (and don't get me started on the new hate-band du jour: The Fratellis... watch out for them, they're being really pushed at the moment and are the most frown-inducing, ultra-ordinary lot yet, like Arctic monkeys to the power of the libertines...)

Last edited:

mms

sometimes
Incidentally I think she was signed before releasing anything, (incl these so-called "mixtapes") and before she create a myspace account. She did well creatively with these, but all the time there was a parallel conventional PR campaign, very clever stuff...

I'm 24, but to be honest all this work-a-day stuff is dull as dishwater- Mike Skinner got away with it well on his first album because he was skillful enough to analyse these conventional things in a sometimes transcendental way (weak become heroes etc etc) whereas the Spastic Monkeys and Lily Allen are just heartbreakingly dull. If you're going to do this kind of thing, you have to be able to pull something revelatory from the everyday, like the best hip hop does, those little details or fresh ways of seeing things... The AMs just remind me of George Fornby (and don't get me started on the new hate-band du jour: The Fratellis... watch out for them, they're being really pushed at the moment and are the most frown-inducing, ultra-ordinary lot yet, like Arctic monkeys to the power of the libertines...)

well yes i agree, it's better the devil you know though, i think. you sound like you have better taste than my brother, although i'm beginning to get round to the idea that the arctic monkeys have something a bit special about them that makes em rise above the swamp of miserable indy bands. Lily allen works as she's the opposite but the same to these guys, i think, i prefer skatalites to U2 though, but yes it's all so wilfully pubby and fucking ordinary absolutely.

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
Referring to her being signed before the myspace deal:

This is true. She was signed to Regal Recordings (EMI) before the whole myspace campaign, but acquired most of her fanbase on her own before her marketing department even had a chance to step in. So much so that when the phone calls were coming in to EMI from rabid fans, they didn't even know who she was.

When they realized what a crowd she had, they pumped up the marketing campaign and eventually decided to release her debut album on Parlaphone instead of Regal.

I really don't think there is as much bullshit as you might think about the whole Myspace thing. I go to a school for music business, and this issue is a big one in the industry right now, and a big part of the reason that the whole buying songs from myspace thing is coming into effect.

It is genuinly scaring older people (especially labels) in the industry as they see independent artists realizing they no longer need a lot of the services traditionally provided by the label. There is a bloody good reason that guy bought Myspace for $580 million.

Last edited:
the only thing that i can imagine people getting worked up about is that her accent seems a little put on. she's a posh north london girl who's trying to speak and sing a bit street.

but that's what teenagers do, isn't it? nothing to get angry about.

yes and living in south yorkshire myself I bet its not half as fake as the bloody Arctic Monkeys attempts at "talking street".

AM's - posh kids from a nice leafy suburb of sheffield who's parents all have jobs like teachers - a colleague of mine was taught by the lead singers dad.And they sing in a way that would hardly be plausible from someone who's never left Parson Cross (very un-nice area of Sheffield).To translate for all the london media types... like someone from a nice part of Kingston or somewhere coming over all Peckham.

Surely such fraud should not go unpunished....

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Initially I found her existence bearable, but having seen her on TV for the first time today performing, she just looked so unbearably smug....

And then there's all that crap about how her Dad's contacts didn't help her. To be followed by the anecdote where she stayed round at Bez's house once. Right...

The whole 'pretending to be street' thing would be irritating in any other 21 year old...and so I find it irritating in her. And she doesn't have either the charm or the musical nous that Mike Skinner has.

Initially I found her existence bearable, but having seen her on TV for the first time today performing, she just looked so unbearably smug....

And then there's all that crap about how her Dad's contacts didn't help her. To be followed by the anecdote where she stayed round at Bez's house once. Right...

The whole 'pretending to be street' thing would be irritating in any other 21 year old...and so I find it irritating in her. And she doesn't have either the charm or the musical nous that Mike Skinner has.

Why does her moderate success offend you so much? Do you:

A) hate success?

B) hate young women?

C) hate yourself?

D) A + B + C

swears

preppy-kei
the only thing that i can imagine people getting worked up about is that her accent seems a little put on. she's a posh north london girl who's trying to speak and sing a bit street.

but that's what teenagers do, isn't it? nothing to get angry about.

yes and living in south yorkshire myself I bet its not half as fake as the bloody Arctic Monkeys attempts at "talking street".

AM's - posh kids from a nice leafy suburb of sheffield who's parents all have jobs like teachers - a colleague of mine was taught by the lead singers dad.And they sing in a way that would hardly be plausible from someone who's never left Parson Cross (very un-nice area of Sheffield).To translate for all the london media types... like someone from a nice part of Kingston or somewhere coming over all Peckham.

Surely such fraud should not go unpunished....

I hate this phenomenon, I find myself talking posher to avoid this. All the spoilt rich kids would do this at my school, walk around prentending to be scallies. Fucking pathetic. On a night out last year some obviously middle class scouse lad in a suit jacket and jeans (a hangable offence for starters..) asked me if I had any coke on me in the most garbled, fake "rough" scouse accent I've ever heard. I responded with a frown and "Excuse me, I can't understand a word you're saying." in the most RP voice I could muster. :D