Topic: Lily Allen- Inform The American

UFO over easy

online mahjong
Initially I found her existence bearable, but having seen her on TV for the first time today performing, she just looked so unbearably smug....

I thought she came across quite nicely in that interview. There's nothing special about her, sure - she's just another pretty girl with a half-decent voice, but so what..? We all know that who succeeds in the music industry is fairly arbitrary. How can you get so worked up about it?

Still, friday evenings staying in watching Jonathan Ross :mad:

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
(and don't get me started on the new hate-band du jour: The Fratellis... watch out for them, they're being really pushed at the moment and are the most frown-inducing, ultra-ordinary lot yet, like Arctic monkeys to the power of the libertines...)
It always seems harsh that the Libertines get stuck in with the lumpen-nu-indie thing: like them or not (or more specifically, like Pete Doherty or not) they were musically one of the most interesting things to happen to four-blokes-with-guitars-playing-songs-that-teenagers-like in a very long time. The current wave of no-marks indie owes a lot to the Libertines, but only in that they helped make british indie guitar bands 'cool' again. If they'd actually picked up on any of what they did musically rather than ignoring it and reverting to the 1996 edition or the 1982 edition some of them might actually be a bit interesting.

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
AM's - posh kids from a nice leafy suburb of sheffield who's parents all have jobs like teachers - a colleague of mine was taught by the lead singers dad.And they sing in a way that would hardly be plausible from someone who's never left Parson Cross (very un-nice area of Sheffield).
Teachers, eh, what a bunch of posh wankers. Hang the lot of 'em.

To me they sound a lot like most upper-working to middle-middle class people[1] from the north of england - local vowels stuck on to otherwise fairly neutral ways of talking. If that's the thickest of thick sheffield accents then I'm a) not impressed and b) worried that a lot of my elderly relatives also talk in a way that would hardly be plausible from someone who's never left Parson Cross.

[1] did I mention that I'm not convinced that a model of british society developed in the nineteenth centre can fully describe the subtleties of 21st century class structure...

swears

preppy-kei
It always seems harsh that the Libertines get stuck in with the lumpen-nu-indie thing: like them or not (or more specifically, like Pete Doherty or not) they were musically one of the most interesting things to happen to four-blokes-with-guitars-playing-songs-that-teenagers-like in a very long time.

Huh? Just sounded like a ripoff of The Clash and The Jam to me, and a really weedy sounding rip off at that. Along with The Strokes and The White Stripes, they played a big part in really cocking up music over the last few years.

bassnation

the abyss
Huh? Just sounded like a ripoff of The Clash and The Jam to me, and a really weedy sounding rip off at that. Along with The Strokes and The White Stripes, they played a big part in really cocking up music over the last few years.

i couldn't believe how average and uninspired they were after all that fuss in the press. the disparity was so large that i actually wondered if they were talking about another band entirely.

and all that nonsense about dear old blighty- they should be shot for lyrics like that, and not with a syringe of heroin either.

martin

----
I just find her tunes a bit melancholic. I actually bought the album but ended up just skipping through the songs after track 5 or whatever. Even though the Libertines might be complete prats as people, the "What a Waster" EP was ace and "Horrorshow" pisses all over Razorlight and those Fratellis jokes. Why aren't people up in arms, slagging off the Fratellis and the Automatic, they're the most embarassing abominations I've ever heard. What is wrong with bands these days?

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
Huh? Just sounded like a ripoff of The Clash and The Jam to me, and a really weedy sounding rip off at that.
They're in the tradition of the Clash and the Jam, certainly. But they take that sound a step further than anyone else by doing some really interesting stuff with the way they layer the jerky rhythm guitars, meandering riffs and (gasp) nonstandard drums into something that holds together for a limited period before falling apart and running off in a different direction at a different speed with a different feel. They had that "sounds like it's falling apart but able to turn on a sixpence" thing going on as well, which helped.

They didn't expand the sound palette of indie, but they found a lot of new possibilities in reevaluating and recombining what was alread there, which to me is no less interesting than just bunging in a drum machine or using some synths or something.

bassnation

the abyss
They didn't expand the sound palette of indie, but they found a lot of new possibilities in reevaluating and recombining what was alread there, which to me is no less interesting than just bunging in a drum machine or using some synths or something.

its not what you use, its how you use it. nothing against guitar music per se, but if thats the really the best it has to offer you might as well hammer that last nail into the coffin.

just wish i could get those wasted minutes back that i spent listening to their drivel.

John Doe

The idea that Lily Allen hasn't benefitted from her father (and her mother's) contacts is laughable. For what it's worth an ex-girlfriend of mine is a film producer and knows Keith Allen pretty well. It just so happened that I spent a couple of years hanging out that crew a little - and Lily A was around a lot. She practically grew up in the Groucho Club and probably has more media/industry contacts than the whole of this forum put together. The obnoxious little princess is what you might politely describe as a 'formidable media operator'. And I don't know where she gets that accent from as, believe me, she's a very nicely spoken girl when she isn't faking it for her music.

All of this probably doesn't matter too much except for a wider point: in our still class ridden British society the opportunities for those genuinely working class people to succeed remains painfully difficult. This is especially true for those attempting to succeed in the culture industry. Time and again it seems that all well connected, monied middle-class folk have to do in order to win success is put on an accent, come over all 'street' and act the part. Hey presto, whaddya know, there they are, revelling in their success. Doesn't that make you kinda sick? While Lily A is up there performing the part of a chirpy cockney upstart (or whatever), there are probably many other genuine working class kids who can't get a start or a break and find themselves stuck at the door of exclusion. While that's hardly Lily A's fault as an individual, her cynical 'from the street' fakery is an all too wearying example of an ongoing phenomena that masks a wider story of on-going social exclusion and denial of opportunity for those from the background that Lily A purports to represent...

gek-opel

entered apprentice
The Libertines ought to have been literally shot in the head, all four of them, and the photographs publicly displayed. Such a lazy connect-the-cliche type band. Shoot them dead then string them up to be beaten until they resemble offal on string. Same for the Allen girl... but in an ironic fashion.

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
The Libertines ought to have been literally shot in the head, all four of them, and the photographs publicly displayed. Such a lazy connect-the-cliche type band. Shoot them dead then string them up to be beaten until they resemble offal on string. Same for the Allen girl... but in an ironic fashion.
Yawn.

Gabba Flamenco Crossover

High Sierra Skullfuck
@ jon... I suspected as much, of course, but it's good (or bad, depending on which way you look at it) to have an eyewitness account. Cheers.

@libs haters... I havent ever really paid that much attention to them, but the tracks I've heard have a total lack of texture - just scrubbed guitars and splashy drums, like a pub band knocking off a demo in someone's shed.

And for a tragic, smack-ridden, bryon-esque band on the brink of perpetual collapse, don't they sound rather perky? I would have expected a bit more Marble Index and a bit less Muppets, TBH.

(that's if all the drugs stories are true - anyone familiar with Alan McGee's history in management will be taking them with a very large pinch of salt).

mms

sometimes
she's ok.

the whole marketing of indie is becoming a bit hilarious lately,
check how many different formats the dirty pretty things have in the charts this week of their digital single, there is basically a live version for each of the towns they visited, quite interesting, all basically demographic information in practice and of course preying on any fanatic fanbase to build chart results.

funny as well how universal are just buying channel 4 and radio one, check scissor sisters day's/ weekends/ killers days/weekends.
it's all gone quite mad.

funny as well how universal are just buying channel 4 and radio one, check scissor sisters day's/ weekends/ killers days/weekends.
it's all gone quite mad.

Abominable, but it has kept the world's least gifted, most grating band, The Red Hot Chilli Peppers, off the airwaves for at least a few sweet weeks. :mad:

mms

sometimes
Abominable, but it has kept the world's least gifted, most grating band, The Red Hot Chilli Peppers, off the airwaves for at least a few sweet weeks. :mad:

i find it quite interesting cos it's just abstract.
it's possible to do these things with literally anything given the circumstances.
you just have to have the circumstances and framework that allows it to happen i think.

gumdrops

they were only weedy cos of mick jones production. live they were anything but weedy. they were very spiky actually. i saw them once with pete and once after he was chucked out - in some ways i prefered them without him, their energy was amazing. really dynamic rhythm section.