R&B/soul - breaking news, gossip, slander, lies etc

Status
Not open for further replies.
My personal favorite of 2006

12 dont go too slow.mp3 - 5.39MB

It's Cassie, but not Me & U.

This is a non-album track. I'm not even sure if it's an official b-side. Just one of a few scattered productions that for some reason didn't make the album. Their inclusion would only improve a good thing.

The track admittedly bites vintage Timbo hard, but does it in a respectful way, crafting a rhythm complex enough to do justice to Tim's blueprint. It's heartbreaking and explicitly erotic at the same time. "Don't... don't go too slow... I like it when you go real hard", the chorus is both pleading and dominant, a robotic paradox. Her request to be shown "something she ain't seen yet" resonates with me.

Here are the other ones, you be the judge. :

cassie-when_your_body_is_talking-21.mp3 - 5.69MB

02-cassie-in_love_with_u-hl.mp3 - 4.55MB

I recommend hearing the whole album too, before passing final judgement on Ryan Leslie's mekanik lolita

Guybrush

Dittohead
One track is "what everybody is waiting for," he revealed, "me and Dr. Dre. I did , it's hard. I got 50, Jay-Z, Lil Wayne. The other stuff is rock: She Wants Revenge, the Hives, I'm about to get the Fall Out Boys, Björk, Elton John." Tim went on to say that he's interested in eventually signing the Hives and M.I.A.
My God, this is either gonna be the album of the year or the exact moment hip hop enters stadium-rock mode (it already has?). On a similar note, Timbaland continues his trance forays on this great track from P Diddy's new album:

P Diddy, Timbaland, Twista & Shawnna - P Diddy Rock (it's a Youtube link)

The greatness starts at 02.03, so don't be impatient. I love the "My Love"-esque gated pad during Shawnna's verse.

___

Regarding Timbaland's greatness as a producer: I wonder how much help he gets from other producers, song-writers, sound-engineers and so on. He's undoubtedly ridiculously talented, but I doubt he'd be as prominent were he not helped by an army of talent.

___

Those Cassie left-overs are pretty good. What a shame they couldn't give the fabulous "In Love with U" backing track a decent song to work with though.

elgato

I just dont know
I love the "My Love"-esque gated pad during Shawnna's verse.

these trancy arpeggiated synths are my favourite things in pop right now, by a long way, i absolutely love them. i want to know how to get that sound so much. theres an absolutely phenomenal synth line in this mode in the chorus of the new g unit track (with the video with them all converging from their various arch-criminal scenarios - BATE AND SHIT)

Guybrush

Dittohead
these trancy arpeggiated synths are my favourite things in pop right now, by a long way, i absolutely love them. i want to know how to get that sound so much. theres an absolutely phenomenal synth line in this mode in the chorus of the new g unit track (with the video with them all converging from their various arch-criminal scenarios - BATE AND SHIT)
It's not that difficult actually; you can accomplish that effect in many ways. What you are hearing is the digital equivalent to a dj moving the volume fader up and down rapidly, the reason it sounds so tight is that they've (most likely) programmed the volume changes in a sequencer, this makes the changes occur EXACTLY on the beat.

gumdrops

Regarding Timbaland's greatness as a producer: I wonder how much help he gets from other producers, song-writers, sound-engineers and so on. He's undoubtedly ridiculously talented, but I doubt he'd be as prominent were he not helped by an army of talent.

i think early on (im sure theres others), he had a fair amount of co writing help from static of playa; later on scott storch was pretty important for him; now its some guy called danjah who seems quite integral to his current output. the engineer jimmy douglas is especially vital to the 'timbaland sound'.

elgato

I just dont know
It's not that difficult actually; you can accomplish that effect in many ways. What you are hearing is the digital equivalent to a dj moving the volume fader up and down rapidly, the reason it sounds so tight is that they've (most likely) programmed the volume changes in a sequencer, this makes the changes occur EXACTLY on the beat.

nah i know how to gate a synth, and to automate its frequency, what im after is more the specific semi-transparent, ethereal quality of the tone of the current vogue, combined with the particular majesty of melody. im sure with some time dedicated to it ill work it out, i havent really put too much effort in as yet

michael

Bring out the vacuum
Hey, Yummy Bingham got mentioned upthread and I'd like to hear more of her stuff having enjoyed that 'Come Get It' track a while back.

Think I heard a really nice slow track from her today which reminded me she put an album out. Is it readily available? Any good?

Bit sick of a lot of shit R&B songs at the moment. Just past saturation point, I guess - I find if I hear too much of any genre my tolerance for "pretty good" tracks goes out the window.

Guybrush

Dittohead
Gwen Stefani featuring Akon - The Sweet Escape (Youtube link)

Gwen Stefani allegedly confirmed in a radio interview that this will be the second single from The Sweet Escape.

___

I guess it's safe to say that Timbaland did get a little song-writing help from Static of Playa early on:

Static, who co-wrote Ginuwine's first single, "Pony", went on to become a prominent R&B songwriter, and is especially noted for writing hit songs for Aaliyah such as "Are You That Somebody" (1998, on which Playa performs background vocals), "Try Again" (2000), and "We Need a Resolution" and "More Than A Woman" (both 2001).

POLYNIZATION : polynesian cultural colonization...

Maybe it's the half indian, half polynesian and fully New Zealand thing but theres just not much like this going round...

Aaradhna myspace and buy that shizZzle here

For a long time he was and probably still is NZ's only R'n'b producer artist of note. Seriously talented and most underrated with a heritage of chinese/polynesian...

Chongnee myspace and buy that shizZzle here

2 polynesian brothers making sweet noise a sample of which was used on a recent mariah carey tune

Adeaze myspace and buy that shizZzle here

^^^apologies if that seems like an ad but dammit these guys are good and you should know how we do...

michael

Bring out the vacuum
There's a lot like that going on. I guess there's that one Adeaze song Nesian Girl on there, but that's as close as it gets to not sounding like it could've come from anywhere else.

I almost picked up the Aaradhna album last time I was back in NZ, but just not enough good songs, IMO.

--

Found out the Yummy Bingham song I heard the other day is called Quickie. Pretty fantastic, weird blippy synths and gentle chimes and shit... oh, and a reasonable song. :)

hint

party record with a siren
Found out the Yummy Bingham song I heard the other day is called Quickie. Pretty fantastic, weird blippy synths and gentle chimes and shit... oh, and a reasonable song. :)

Yes - that's my favourite on the album.

It's out on CD now, in the UK. Well worth picking up. There's 4 or 5 great tracks on there.

There's a lot like that going on. I guess there's that one Adeaze song Nesian Girl on there, but that's as close as it gets to not sounding like it could've come from anywhere else.

I almost picked up the Aaradhna album last time I was back in NZ, but just not enough good songs, IMO.

Does it have to sound like it's come from somewhere else ??? Isn't it enough that it's as good as but not made somewhere else ???

If theres anymore than 4 good songs on an album it's probably as good as you'll get.

I'm just proud of the fact that now more so than ever there is a polychoice of music to listen to. It wasn't so long ago that it was mostly crap indy bands of the flying nun variety, cheesy, dubby whiteboy house and reggae...

Dawnraid and chongnee are just a continuation of Phil Fuemana's (RIP) legacy and long may it continue

michael

Bring out the vacuum
Sorry meant to reply to this and forgot about it. Nah, of course the music doesn't need to sound specifically from one place or another but not sure why else you'd mention the heritage of these artists?

N

nomadologist

that ciara album is DAMN good i love "promise" even if it is reeally slowjammy the production is hot

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.