R&B/soul - breaking news, gossip, slander, lies etc

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

nomadologist

justin timberlake doing nineties R&B as it should be done

it's amazing what happens on SNL when you inject some talent into it. it's actually funny.

some of the jump shots are trying too hard though.

Last edited:

Poisonous Dart

Lone Swordsman
Yup

i think early on (im sure theres others), he had a fair amount of co writing help from static of playa; later on scott storch was pretty important for him; now its some guy called danjah who seems quite integral to his current output. the engineer jimmy douglas is especially vital to the 'timbaland sound'.

Static from Playa does have a project coming out and the Timbaland's protege's name is Danjahandz. He did some work on Diddy's "Press Play" project. One.

Guybrush

Dittohead
I was thinking of writing something about how I think the Ciara album symbolises what is lacking in the current R&B climate; how the emphasis on adamant, banging, beats somehow seems to stifle the song-writing process. ‘Promise’ does not suffer from this though, and neither does my my favourite song off the album: ‘C.R.U.S.H.’.

Oh yes, I almost forgot, those interludes are among the most cringe-inducing things I have ever heard.:eek:

tox

Factory Girl
Someone told me the other day that there's a demo of JT's Like I Love You sung by Pharrell. Anyone heard it? Sounds pretty interesting.

gumdrops

I was thinking of writing something about how I think the Ciara album symbolises what is lacking in the current R&B climate; how the emphasis on adamant, banging, beats somehow seems to stifle the song-writing process. ‘Promise’ does not suffer from this though, and neither does my my favourite song off the album: ‘C.R.U.S.H.’.

its R&B made according to hip hop principles. agreed on promise though, thats why i like it so much. thats also why the mariah album was so brilliant, cos it was pretty much all about songwriting, not beats.

there is a pharrell demo of the JT song out there... i think its on most p2p networks. its worth finding.

Last edited:

minikomi

pu1.pu2.wav.noi
it's amazing what happens on SNL when you inject some talent into it. it's actually funny.

some of the jump shots are trying too hard though.

so true... watched a few more of the clips from that episode on u-tube & actually laughed out loud a few times.

robin

i love tell me and slow down by bobby valentino,but i haven't (knowingly) heard any tim n bob productions since (or before for that matter)
can anyone recommend any?

robin

was just looking through youtube for timbaland stuff when i found this song
by jazmine sullivan,who i've never heard

the beat is really great,more laid back and slinky than a lot of his stuff but unmistakably timbaland,and she's got a good voice too

anyone know anything about this?

anyway,its well worth a listen if you're a timbaland fan

robin

also,anyone know what the story is with this?
doesnt sound like a timbaland beat but obviously its very old,he's in the video anyway
its got a really nice sound

robin

another brilliant old timbaland r'n'b track i'd never heard
Nicole Wray f/ Missy Elliot & Mocha- Make it Hot

gumdrops

apparently timbaland stole ideas from a finnish producer for the nelly furtado song do it (which i think is better than either of the big singles she had out last year easily)

N

nomadologist

Anyone else heard Amerie's "Take Control"? The whole riff it's based on is lifted directly from Tom Ze's "Jimmy, Renda-Se". Is this in the writing credits? Anyone know? Because if it isn't, that's basically flagrant theft. Doesn't sound like a sample.

(Are there new laws these days about plagiarism in music? Because that one song by The Rapture is basically "Careering" with lamer lyrics transposed a few steps up, and on the first Liars album they play ESG's UFO without crediting them at all, from what I've been able to look up...Or is it just too expensive to sue people over this shit?)

crackerjack

maybe the stupidest interview with kelis i think ive read. the beginning is almost like a spoof of a guardian reader shocked by sexual R&B. kelis deserves a better interview than *this*.

http://music.guardian.co.uk/urban/story/0,,2003411,00.html

Why? Isn't it reasonable to question the excessive sexualisation of women in black music, especially since Kelis, initially at least, was a refreshing change to the stereotype?

(btw, from what I've heard, Kelis deserves NO better than that - by all accounts she's a fucking nightmare to interview. And her new album is shite too, so nuh)

robin

so what's been going on with r'n'b this year?
just realised i haven't really heard much new stuff at all,what are people's top 5 tracks or whatever so far this year?

jd_

I really like the new Lloyd, "Get It Shawty", and Omarion's "Ice Box", although that one I'm pretty sure came out last year.

elgato

I just dont know
i absolutely hate Ice Box, the vocal is just awful. so overblown and indulged, and the lyrics are BATE. was massively disappointed having heard it bigged up around the place

Status
Not open for further replies.