wu-tang's hidden gems

gumdrops

wu tang forever is brilliant - one of the best things they did. underrated cos it didnt feel quite as much like a real group maybe at times, like the first album, and at the time i thought they all sounded a bit subdued really compared to the ferocity they used to have, but it sounds like a group with so many ideas now. easily the best hip hop double album, and one of the few that really maximises on the space/range afforded by a double album.

craner

Beast of Burden
Absolutely.

I know one person who will violently disagree with us.

A lot of people complained about the size of it, which I understand: Forever is fatiguing, eventually the good stuff gets lost in a blur. And there're things that could have (probably should have) been left off, like 'Wu-revolution' and 'Duck Season'. But I liked the size of it - it was as if they were saying, fuck you little people, we're UNIVERSE SIZED. Fantastic meglomania, hubris and scorn - how often do you get to witness a group of brilliant men push their abilities and reputations to the limit like this? And it was effectively a testament, so it needed to be huge. It was trying to contain the cosmos. (Via weird and wired 5% Nation propaganda, granted.) I always felt that after Wu Tang Forever there was no reason for them to exist anymore. That was the end of the road, the final totem. It all lead to this amazing, monolithic work of art that no one could possibly go beyond or around, now or ever again. And the only post-forever Wu tang things that worked were made by splinter groups, or shards on Killer Bee-style compilations, or a one-off masterstroke like Bobby Digital in Stereo, or Remedy's 'Never Again'. It all dissolved.

craner

Beast of Burden
cover.jpg

Sorry, there was one that went beyond Wu Tang Forever.

mms

sometimes
Absolutely.

I know one person who will violently disagree with us.

A lot of people complained about the size of it, which I understand: Forever is fatiguing, eventually the good stuff gets lost in a blur. And there're things that could have (probably should have) been left off, like 'Wu-revolution' and 'Duck Season'. But I liked the size of it - it was as if they were saying, fuck you little people, we're UNIVERSE SIZED. Fantastic meglomania, hubris and scorn - how often do you get to witness a group of brilliant men push their abilities and reputations to the limit like this? And it was effectively a testament, so it needed to be huge. It was trying to contain the cosmos. (Via weird and wired 5% Nation propaganda, granted.) I always felt that after Wu Tang Forever there was no reason for them to exist anymore. That was the end of the road, the final totem. It all lead to this amazing, monolithic work of art that no one could possibly go beyond or around, now or ever again. And the only post-forever Wu tang things that worked were made by splinter groups, or shards on Killer Bee-style compilations, or a one-off masterstroke like Bobby Digital in Stereo, or Remedy's 'Never Again'. It all dissolved.

ohh i dunno the w is wicked, not got the density of forever but alot of good uns' some very exciting tracks, that bang bang and i can't go to sleep are mentally good/

heavy mental is great though so fucking dense so much mad logic.

craner

Beast of Burden
ohh i dunno the w is wicked, not got the density of forever but alot of good uns' some very exciting tracks, that bang bang and i can't go to sleep are mentally good/

Yeah, I know, I'm not saying they didn't do anything good after Wu Tang Forever. I just think there wasn't any reason for them to: most of the tracks on The W are essentially saying nothing, it's a fun cartoon that had it's place and everything, but it was merely drawing attention to itself. They were dicking around being pop stars and making lots of money, which I fully approve of, but the Millennial vanguard schtick was over. Forever ended it. They weren't really a serious group ever again, and who can blame them?

crackerjack

Love Ironman, Supreme clientele and Fishscale, but what little I've heard of his other stuff seems a bit patchy. What are the other good Ghostface albums out there? He's done quite a few

You've named the best ones, two of which came after WTF. More Fish is almost worth buying for Josephine alone.

Poisonous Dart

Lone Swordsman
You can't be serious!

I remember when Cappadonna debuted on Ghostface's Winter Warz and I was convinced he was gonna be the best thing that ever happened to Wu.

That worked out well.

That song was off of a movie soundtrack in 1996. By that time Cappa had made an indie 12" and appeared on Raekwon's Only Built 4 Cuban Linx (1995). "Winter Warz" was probably the 3rd or 4th guest spot Cappadonna AKA Cappuchino had done by then. Come on, man! SMH.

Nice try, though.

One.

gumdrops

he wasnt that good on the raekwon album IMHO. i dont think anyone was that excited about cappadonna til the dont be a menace soundtrack.

apparently he was working as a cab driver a few years ago.

viktorvaughn

Love Ironman, Supreme clientele and Fishscale, but what little I've heard of his other stuff seems a bit patchy. What are the other good Ghostface albums out there? He's done quite a few

pretty toney is great i think, got a wicked pop-funk vibe to it

gumdrops

bulletproof wallets was the last good ghostface album imo, tho theres been a few good tracks on each one since. i cant really listen to him anymore though, hes just playing to the rafters at this point, kinda doing what people expect of a ghostface record. maybe for the better though, considering he wanted the wu to work with the neptunes and timbaland on the last group album.

Poisonous Dart

Lone Swordsman
Really?

bulletproof wallets was the last good ghostface album imo, tho theres been a few good tracks on each one since. i cant really listen to him anymore though, hes just playing to the rafters at this point, kinda doing what people expect of a ghostface record. maybe for the better though, considering he wanted the wu to work with the neptunes and timbaland on the last group album.

Bulletproof Wallets was ruined by the label and about 5 songs didn't make the album because of sample clearance problems and label ineptitude (The Sun, The Watch, etc.). To make it worse a few of the songs on the album had the wrong beats (i.e. Ghostshowers, etc.). The original version before the label tore it apart was a certified classic. If you chec k out J Love's Hidden Darts series or the Broiled Salmon mixtape you'd hear the versions that SHOULD have been released instead.

I take it you didn't hear "Fishscale" or "The Big Doe Rehab" did you, GumDrops? *shrugs shoulders*

One.

gumdrops

I take it you didn't hear "Fishscale" or "The Big Doe Rehab" did you, GumDrops? *shrugs shoulders*

lol. i heard both. hence my comment that the recent ghostface albums have been pretty predictable by ghost standards, despite a few good tracks on each. i have the original promo of BPW on vinyl actually and yeah its a lot better. they really should have gotten clearance so flowers and those other songs could have stayed as they were. missed opportunity.

Poisonous Dart

Lone Swordsman
I guess so..

I'm going to take a wild guess here and say he probably wasn't "trying" anything. That's your job.

If my "job" is to straighten out people that get their facts wrong about anything Hip Hop related then I guess you're right, Sick Boy.

Somebody's gotta do it.

One.

crackerjack

That song was off of a movie soundtrack in 1996. By that time Cappa had made an indie 12" and appeared on Raekwon's Only Built 4 Cuban Linx (1995). "Winter Warz" was probably the 3rd or 4th guest spot Cappadonna AKA Cappuchino had done by then. Come on, man! SMH.

Nice try, though.

One.

Thanks for setting me straight on my mistake, and also on one I didn't make. And thanks for reducing another thread into a competition to see who knows most stuff. it's been great, really.

STN

sou'wester
Have we already talked about the Japanese release of the soundtrack to Ghost Dog? It's meant to be really good, and I remember the music from the film being so, but the US/UK release was full of stuff that wasn't in the film, and was mostly quite drab.