wu-tang's hidden gems

craner

Beast of Burden
Bored, so I'm going to post more of my favorites, for the delectation and censor of Poisoness Dart.

Execute Them

I love this moment and style of RZA production: he's stretching out and relaxing, throwing weird and low-key avant garde ideas out as if he's simply taking a shit, and leaving the rest to the brilliance of his amazing fleet of rappers. I think it's a unique track, this, and I love it. It's slightly ridiculous. What's he up to?

Masta Killa rules this one.

In fact, Masta Killa is the great, overlooked member of Wu tang clan in my opinion. Sort of voice and style that can't really carry a whole album (see also, U-God) but is perfect for a group swarm-effort. In that context, he shines so bright.

craner

Beast of Burden
Whatever happened to 60 second assasin? He was a really weird rapper, like an even more smacked-out, esoteric version of ODB.

craner

Beast of Burden
2 great and OVER THE TOP "world is about to end kill them all" moments:

Flaming Swords (defining performance by KP: his voice so thick and heavy here, his lyrics beyond parody; 60 sec being typically incoherent and slurred and fucked)

Soldiers of Darkness (Gravediggaz on PCP: unrivalled.)

craner

Beast of Burden
Talking of whom, another bit of KP self-parody (although maybe he was serious, who knows?) from the second, and very underrated, Gravediggaz album:

Repentance Day

Poisonous Dart

Lone Swordsman
Oh boy...

LMAO @ Craner's Dart baiting.

Mista Killa has a classic album under his belt (No Said Date) and his re-up was pretty solid.

60 Second Assassin hasn't gone anywhere. He's all over Wu related releases (Chambermusik.com)

Killah Priest and the word parody belong nowhere in the same sentence. He's 100% serious.

I won't go into detail because I'll just look like an asshole (moreso than I already do, I mean)

One.

craner

Beast of Burden
Au contraire, I find your detail illuminating. For example, has 60 sec stopped slurring and written any lyrics in the last decade? Can KP really be that insane?

I have a Killarmy piece I wrote I might send to you for corrections, if you're interested. (Before I post it and humiliate myself.)

craner

Beast of Burden
Not exactly lost, as it's a Forever masterstroke, but certainly forgotten, this production is practically post-rock (as hip hop!):

Hellz wind staff

One of their best, I think.

Like this too, the Cosmic, incoherent lyrics appeal. Where're this lot now?

Beggaz On the Stengh

I be sitting on the edge of Mars, counting stars...

Lovely.

Last edited:

craner

Beast of Burden
Why hip hop ruled between 93-96. Beautiful gems like this, seemingly tossed off. Production here is exquisite, no?

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

craner

Beast of Burden
And, back on track, still an astounding track. Good video too.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

craner

Beast of Burden
This too.

craner

Beast of Burden
4th Disciple was so good.

Get yourselves Silent Weapons... and Heavy Mental, the 2 true great lost Wu classics.

craner

Beast of Burden
Yeah, true, still lovely tho' eh?

Might just re-post this, as it is so stunning, in case you all forgot how good he was: (a b-side! no less!) (I still worship this man as an ARTIST)

craner

Beast of Burden
Lyrics on this, though. Why I think he's the best. Try following.

Apologies if it's already in here but

This is probably the most played sub 3 minute track on my itunes;
Raekwon- Mad Izm Freestyle (off the Cuban Linx sampler)