WOEBOT.tv

swears

preppy-kei
new episode

LOL

Reminded me a bit of Chris Morris' Fur Q character on The Day Today killing his fans. But y'know, you can't kill everyone, because then there's nobody left to "respect" you. ;)

dHarry

man appears to have been the longest-living human at 969
never heard the expression "as old as Methuselah"? almost rhymes with "all over the fuselage" (picks up twin-neck 12 string/flying V combo and sings over picked jazz-folk chord stylings...)

also see "Requiem for Methuselah", a third season episode of Star Trek: Original Series, first broadcast February 14, 1969

dr.lloyd

Believing the music
I just love Mr Woebot when he is off on one... riffing on music and nature and the universe and all the nice little visual ticks. It makes me very happy. :)
Me too. I like it when he comes with the stuff about trumpet music as access to one's own divinity, someone needed to be saying that. BBC2 must swoop down here but the dance moves will risk causing a riot like what Elvis done a while back. This could be as big as Nigella Lawson. The very least is that they get him on The Late Review complete with headgear. If u get there I need a signed promise that you get up from the couch and do the dance moves as well as the crit.

Circus Lupus

Circus Of Wolves
This is just too fucking great. My little prole brain-stem was overloaded with the sexual possibilities of the defrosted barricuda alone. Methuselah is like a neo-con propaganda version of that band from Hitch-hiker's guide to the galaxy I can't remember the name of. Brilliant work Woeboter.

shudder

new episode up on British folk. Very interesting stuff. When Sam Lee was introduced, I was expecting some old fogey. I wonder if there is some new interest with the young'uns in this stuff, or if he's sort of unique that way. In know in the US there are so many kids who get into the smithsonian folkways era stuff starting with their parents' Dylan records and working (way) back, although as you mention, Woe, there's much less interest in the uk.

Interesting too that there was a picture of Vaughan Williams there. Pretty much my only connection to this sort of music is through Britten and Vaughan Williams settings of English folk songs for classical voice.

Also, that unaccompanied gypsy singing at the end was quite something, eh?

Gabba Flamenco Crossover

High Sierra Skullfuck
Really enjoyed the latest episode, thanks! it was great to have a look around Cecil Sharp house, even though I'd never heard of it before.

My young cousin is really into folk music - he goes to things like Green Man and the Cropredy festivals. As far as I can tell, it's a more thoughtful manifestation of the rejection of dance music that's common in kids of his generation (late teens, early 20s). He's quite an accomplished musician on the drums and the violin, and he plays a bit of guitar as well.

A small technical gripe... would it be possible to compress the soundtrack a little, to even out the volume levels? I found that parts of the interview were quite hard to make out, even with my laptop volume on maximum.

mms

sometimes
my mates dad is a sort of documenter of cornish sea shanties and is recording a bunch of them on an album. his mum keeps on trying to get involved but she get's relegated to triangle or something, apparently she's still out of time.
there seem to be a load of young folk bands cropping up around cornwall, and kinda jamboree type events. last time i was down there people were breton dancing around the pub i went to, still shit like that has been going on a while down there, it's just more normalised now.
i think there are probably a suprising amount of people out there interested in folk.
no mention of the pogues in the pices but maybe its too contentious.

Chris

fractured oscillations
Really liked this one. Oh, how I'd love to just spend a day just going through as many of those old records as I could!

It's particularly interesting to me, in that so many American folk and "mountain music" songs have roots in this stuff. It'd be interesting to hear the more original takes on some of these songs, without the slight blues inflection that American mountian music adds...

On a related note, is the tradition of "murder" or "death ballads" rooted in British or Irish folk, or is that a distinctly Appalachian thing?

Woebot

Very interesting stuff. When Sam Lee was introduced, I was expecting some old fogey.

he's only 26! very impressive guy i thought. hardcore.

i'll have a look at the audio in a bit. i did have it on my kit at home and it was fine. quite pleased with the sound on this really. wireless mic worked very well. though i have speakers and wotnot attached. maybe i could (cheekily?) suggest the laptop warriors pop some headphones on?

STN

sou'wester
There are definitely very old English/Irish/Scottish murder ballads out there - Lord Randall for example (where his girlfriend poisons him), and that one about a mother who drowns her children. I will Google and try to be more useful later.

Oh, and there's the Pricklie Bush about someone getting hanged but that's a touch different, I guess.

mms

sometimes
Really liked this one. Oh, how I'd love to just spend a day just going through as many of those old records as I could!

It's particularly interesting to me, in that so many American folk and "mountain music" songs have roots in this stuff. It'd be interesting to hear the more original takes on some of these songs, without the slight blues inflection that American mountian music adds...

On a related note, is the tradition of "murder" or "death ballads" rooted in British or Irish folk, or is that a distinctly Appalachian thing?

i think there are plenty of english and irish murder ballads, alot of american folk is english folk and irish folk, re-located lyrically and musically, its a way of holding onto roots and acknowleging change at the same time. This isn't something specific to western migrators, african migrating communities do the same, and instruments develop likewise Then new songs are added etc, which become part of the oral tradition, and a way of spreading news. Most of this stuff has probably died to an extent due to more literacy etc.

i would imagine there is an australian folk which, i guess would be mainly irish relocated.
never heard any aussie folk though, anyone else?

Last edited: