WOEBOT.tv

Gabba Flamenco Crossover

High Sierra Skullfuck
i'll have a look at the audio in a bit. i did have it on my kit at home and it was fine. quite pleased with the sound on this really. wireless mic worked very well. though i have speakers and wotnot attached. maybe i could (cheekily?) suggest the laptop warriors pop some headphones on?

Nothing wrong with the quality at all, but there was a big drop in volume between your intro and the start of the interview. I was using headphones, although they are high impedence models designed for studio use, so not ideal for a laptop to be fair. If you compressed the audio by about 3:1 it would sort the volume drop out without affecting the quality. This is dead easy with an audio track in something like Cubase, and I'm sure you can do it with a video soundtrack too, I guess asking someone familiar with your editing package is the way to go (I don't know squit about video I'm afraid).

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
There are definitely very old English/Irish/Scottish murder ballads out there - Lord Randall for example (where his girlfriend poisons him), and that one about a mother who drowns her children. I will Google and try to be more useful later.

Oh, and there's the Pricklie Bush about someone getting hanged but that's a touch different, I guess.
Yeah, there's loads. Off the top of my head, Matty Groves, the Cruel Brother, the Two Sisters, Banks of Red Roses...

noel emits

a wonderful wooden reason
I'd say there's definitely been a groundswell of interest for the last couple of years in this folk stuff amongst people I know.

john eden

male pale and stale
I thought the last one was very cool, but not as visually interesting as previous ones. I ended up doing the ironing to it and using it as radio in the end, partly because I had some download problems and it kept pausing a lot.

Very interesting interviewee and all the better for being a bit more "general" and low-brow than some of the other episodes - by that I mean a good contrast, rather than the way forward.

Big up!

Chef Napalm

Lost in the Supermarket
Twitch's record collection! Holy sweet mother of crap! Looks like he's got more than the freakin' folk museum!

Organizing records so one can locate them when needed really is the tricky part of maintaining an electronic music collection. Does that GAK 12" go in the Aphex Twin pile or the Warp pile?

The line that killed me:

WOEBOT: I'm treading on Keith's records.

TWITCH: [laughs] These are probably destined for a skip. Dozens of unknown white labels that I probably can't be bothered to listen to.
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!! Send them to meeeeeeeee!!!!

The interview has obviously cut down to fit the available time. WB, would it be too much trouble to post the uncut, unprocessed interview somewhere at a later date?

Last edited:

bun-u

Trumpet Police
Not my favourite to be honest - I find the whole record collecting paraphernalia thing a bit cringe-worthy tbh - how they are shelved, ordered, bought lalala...it's all a bit antiques roadshow to me (and I have 5000 of the buggers)....keep it focused on the music matt!

tox

Factory Girl
Loved the content of the last episode... Record collecting isn't something I'm ever gonna let myself get into, but it makes for a fancinating topic. That was like watching Harvey Pekar or Seymor from Ghost World talking about their record collections. Interesting stuff.

As John Eden mentioned the visuals didn't seem so important, and for a lightweight like me it was difficult to actually identify alot of the records through the colour contrast filter thing.

Blogwise though, that is inspirational stuff. I might even consider picking up the DVD.

--edit--

Forgot to mention that I found something a little Louis Theroux about the interview style of this episode. Suppose that could be a good thing or a bad thing depending how you look at it.

Last edited:

PeteUM

It's all grist
I liked the record-geek aspect of it so much that the colour filters annoyed me because I couldn't see which Blurt record etc. Have loved all these films, even when at odds with Woebot's tastes etc. There should be more stuff like this!

Woebot

thanks everyone

Not my favourite to be honest -

wow. sorry to hear that dave.

I find the whole record collecting paraphernalia thing a bit cringe-worthy tbh - how they are shelved, ordered, bought lalala...

eek. again, yeah, really sorry.

it's all a bit antiques roadshow to me

ok, yeah i stand corrected.

(and I have 5000 of the buggers)....

really that's unbelieavble! that's a helluva lot of records. blimey.

keep it focused on the music matt!

ok. thanks dave.

dHarry

loved the record geekiness aspect; I would have thought all hte trainspotters geeks and collectors around here would have! :confused:
But I would have preferred to see some of the covers - a clarification out of the distortion/effects to focus on the covers and back would've been nice - what was the reason for the effect?

gek-opel

entered apprentice
The good thing was that none of the shows repeated a concept, functioning as a pretty effective show-reel- but overall the voice of Woebot was the best thing in it, calm authoritative, beautifully measured- the total antidote to the over-excitable and near coked-up teeth-gnashing bollocks of the usual TV/radio presenting styles for music.

Any news on the potential Channel 4 commission?

bun-u

Trumpet Police
well looks like I'm the exception, but I suppose this aspect of music is my pet hate. I've always dreaded those converstaions with fellow rekid collectors about everything but the music...what things are worth, boring trivia, nostalgia, rarities, shops zzzzzzz. makes me think I may as well be collecting stamps.

(obviously should've footnoted my post with my love for the other 5 episodes!)

john eden

male pale and stale
so do I have to buy a 2nd t-shirt to get that dvd, then? :p

I was wearing my existing one as me pajamas in a tent on saturday night and it was cold and rainy and stuff, so I'm proper 'ardcore innit.

There was no dvd player IN the tent, but if there had been then I would probably have played woebot tv on it if I could have without waking up my partner and daughter.

Dear Mr Woebot

Please can you fix it for me to see all of them Woebot TV episodes again in the privacy of my own home, cos I don't spend all that much time on the computah these days and I missed a few, but the ones I saw were really great - easily the best ever video blogging thing done by someone with a monitor on their heads.

And I want to watch the ones I did see again anyway, even if me other half comes in and does that thing where she rolls her eyes and walks straight out again.

It would make me very happy if I could have one of them DVDs.

Yours sincerely

Mr Eden

swears

preppy-kei
As John Eden mentioned the visuals didn't seem so important, and for a lightweight like me it was difficult to actually identify alot of the records through the colour contrast filter thing.

Seen Wilkes of Optimo play out a couple of years ago in Liverpool, would love to see Twitch too.
I found this episode fascinating but...yeah, the polarisation effect made it hard to see the sleeves and was a bit of a headache to watch. But that's a minor quibble really because the whole series has been a real education, enjoyed it thoroughly.

dominic

Beast of Burden
i found this episode amusing, and very reassuring as i'm nowhere near the record-buying addict as mr dj twitch is

though i do have the cti "conspiracy international" record -- that is, the third record cover shown, while still in the industrial phase of the collection

Don Rosco

I've always dreaded those converstaions with fellow rekid collectors about everything but the music...what things are worth, boring trivia, nostalgia, rarities, shops zzzzzzz. makes me think I may as well be collecting stamps.

I love all that shit! Really. I know what you're saying though, it is practically nothing to do with music.

However! The filter thing is just annoying. I'm listening to this episode, and it's great, but there's not much point in watching it.

Woebot

thanks. yeah there's been a certain amount of grumbling about the colour thing.

it's not some cheesy plug-in, it was painstakingly assembled! i thought it was lovely and it also makes the whole thing of being in keith's lair a bit less prosaic, yes a bit cheesily cheerily warhol-y psychedelic.

i did toy with masking out the record sleeves-having them "au natur" but decided against it.

anyway griping is just fine. it's ok, i dont mind. plain rudeness is ok too, i mean i didnt mind any of that at the ilx thread. s'fine. its only people being patronising that's berk-like.

Zekk

Slightly off topic, but I loved the Go Panda! mixtape. Do you like Eden Ahbez? Interesting character. More mixtapes, please ;)