Sounds, effects, instruments that sound great for a bit but then sound passé very qui

Guybrush

Dittohead
All lyrics with the words ‘DJ’ or ‘V.I.P.’. The whole ‘We’re in the club...’ thing in lyrics feels very tired by now, too.

Chris

fractured oscillations
samples of american preachers

Ah yes... also children samples, and most clichéd of all, those samples of announcers from '50s educational films and advertisements...

I don't think I could ever stop loving music drowned in lots of reverb though...

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
I keep trying to convince people that M1 pianos and chipmunk vocals would be a good addition to darkstep D&B, but noone believes me.

Cavernous reverb on slow bits by folk singers and fiddlers is one that seems like a good idea for about fifteen seconds, but then leaves you wishing you could just listen to the tune for what it is rather than being constantly reminded of how ancient and haunting and deep it is by the fact that it sounds like it was recorded in a fucking cave.

Gabba Flamenco Crossover

High Sierra Skullfuck
Ultracompressed, autotuned, glassy RnB vocals will sound really dated in 10 years time I reckon - not just the glissando-splitting autotune effect of 2000-era garage, which thankfully seems to have fallen from favour, but just the whole hypereal RnB approach to vocals.

Up-to-the-minute vocal treatments often date really badly - 80s pop like Janet Jackson, that used the 1st generation of digital FX, the vocals on a lot of that stuff sounds really thin and unpleasant now. The vocals on a lot of mid 90s jazz jungle and sophiticate house sound a bit thin and 'sheen-y' now too.

Other vocal treatments that have become cliches

1/ 50's slapack echo

2/ multitracked close harmony stuff like the byrds, from when folk-trained singers encountered multitrack studios (and acid) for the first time

3/ over the top delay on the vocal in disco, including the first real use of tempo-synced delay made possible by fine-tuneable digital delays becoming available in the 70s - used in disco to lock the vocal into the rhythmic undercarriage of the tune, and thus a vital component of its sex-automaton slave-to-the-rhythm effect.

And a non-vocal cliche - melodicas on dub records.

Chris

fractured oscillations
Ultracompressed, autotuned, glassy RnB vocals will sound really dated in 10 years time I reckon - not just the glissando-splitting autotune effect of 2000-era garage, which thankfully seems to have fallen from favour, but just the whole hypereal RnB approach to vocals.

Crossing my fingers on this one...

generally reverb on drums is very 80s - phil collins etc.
(most modern pop records have little to no reverb on anything.)

Every record with a drum kit in the 80s had that, even drippy indie bands.

Seriously, even 80s metal had that, but I find it endearingly of it's time...

N

nomadologist

Steve Albini's production from the 90s. Sounds so drab, flat, and midrangey now. or maybe it's just me...

bruno

est malade
these sounds will never die. the reason they became 'passe' was because they had a period of overuse, where, after several forward thinking people found certain ways to exploit them to brilliant effect, many people jumped on the bandwagon and proceeded to rinse them to death.

But the reason they will not die is because of the sheer creative power of the original sound, technique or instrument. The lfo controlling filter cutoff (wobble), for example, has the most majestic rhythmic and otherwordly effect, the sound of a robot turning a knob according to a mathematically pure waveform... a sinewave controlling a sinewave. brilliant. The 303 as well, who'd have thought a such a small box could eat a 'real bass' for breakfast? And who'd have thought a computer could get so damn funky. People will be using 303s for years and years to come (albiet not the real boxes, but certainly software emulations), I know I will. Set the pattern length to non multiple of 4, add a couple of accents and slides, hit play and tweak the knobs a bit... instant polyrhythmic squelching funking madness. beautiful.

So I suppose what I'm trying to say is that if the person hitting the buttons or tweaking the knobs is doing it right, it doesn't matter whether the sounds they're (ab)using is dated or passe or whatever, it's all the in the intentions and execution.

my 2 cents.

i agree, very well put.

vache

generally reverb on drums is very 80s - phil collins etc.
(most modern pop records have little to no reverb on anything.)
Not to nitpick, but every record has reverb on it. It's a matter of employing reverb that sounds "natural" or not, be it actual reverb of a space or artificial reverb. My question before was about what constitutes "natural" reverb.

swears

preppy-kei
I'm not really a fan of much live instrumentation at all, really. My favourite "instrument" is probably the Commodore 64 SID sound chip, that thing could fucking WAIL.

N

nomadologist

doesn't "natural reverb" mean the kind that you get from your voice, instruments, and amps, as played utilizing the natural characteristics built into them mechanically but without using effects pedals or before you run it/them through a mic or line-in to a console (where most "unnatural" reverb is automated) or before any editing on software

tate

Brown Sugar
doesn't "natural reverb" mean the kind that you get from your voice, instruments, and amps, as played utilizing the natural characteristics built into them mechanically but without using effects pedals or before you run it/them through a mic or line-in to a console (where most "unnatural" reverb is automated) or before any editing on software
As vache stated, natural reverb refers to the reverb that results from the size, shape, and materiality of the room in which the instrument is recorded. Hence the terrific care taken by producers when choosing and placing mics etc etc, and the attention paid to the construction and design of space for certain modern concert halls, e.g., Boulez's performance hall at Centre Pompidou/IRCAM, which has movable shells and panels in order to allow for the manipulation of sonic properties.

swears

preppy-kei
re:verb

Sort of, it's more to do with the sound being deflected off of various surfaces, say a wall in a recording studio. Artificial reverb is a simulated version of this effect.

xpost

N

nomadologist

right right. forgot that part, where you place your instruments really helps catch natural reverb, and you want to be using a condenser mic where necessary (with the right instruments, etc.) that kind of thing or you won't catch it properly. i remember using these weird room dividers before to damped some sound and i guess absorb some reverb in a studio. anyone know exactly why these are used? some of them have the weird fiberglass-looking type of padding over them...

N

nomadologist

i read back to some of vache's initial questions, including "why does no one mind that reverb is ubiquitous now" (paraphrased) and i remember that part of why we'd automate/add reverb was to make stuff sound a little realer, to recreate the space in a recording so it sounded more natural in that respect. i remember having to use slightly unnatural-sounding amounts of reverb on drums once because they sounded sort of far away and not as full as other instruments. so even if isolated the track we had the drums sounded very "produced", it was necessary to do that so the total effect was more natural sounding, if that makes sense...

shudder

you know what I'm still *not* sick of? the crazy closed high hat riffs at the end of every 8 (or 16?) bars in southern hip hop atm... :)