Sounds, effects, instruments that sound great for a bit but then sound passé very qui

Vache: you know what I meant... Lexicon 480 on looong settings all over everything.

Nowadays vocals tend to just have a little delay an drums are well clipped and dry (in pop / rnb / hip hop)

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
samples of american preachers

Oh God, THIS! Although it has to be said, if you're going to do it, you might as well do it properly, like Front 242 did in "Welcome To Paradise". They did it in 1988, as well.

Hey poor, you don't have to be poor any more! JESUS is here!

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Oh, and another thing...

...the cheesy snare buildup in any and every commercial house/techno track. The bit that says to you "Now hold on everyone, 'coz in a minute it's all gonna go MENTAL!!!11". Gah.

I've got the Empirion album which I quite like and there's an otherwise good track that's spoiled by that.

DJ PIMP

current over-abused reverb trend is having a dry instrument, often a synth, and giving it a slowly increasing amount of cavernous reverb before cutting it off abruptly at the start of a bar. although i do still like it as a cool sounding, spatial build-up type effect... like something becoming blurry and then popping sharply back to focus.

micro-percussion is way past its best-before date. practically any minimal track with a fiddly groove is an instant turn-off for me.

shudder

...the cheesy snare buildup in any and every commercial house/techno track. The bit that says to you "Now hold on everyone, 'coz in a minute it's all gonna go MENTAL!!!11". Gah.

I've got the Empirion album which I quite like and there's an otherwise good track that's spoiled by that.

agreed, although I think this is great whenever I hear it in reggaeton!!!!!

gabriel

The Heatwave
What *is* reggaeton, exactly?

a dancehall/hip hop/techno hybrid (mainly dancehall/hip hop), originated in puerto rico in the early 90s but now made throughout the (mainly spanish-speaking) world

the ton comes from 'marat(h)on', as in telethon or swimathon

ripley

I thought the -ton comes from the spanish suffix that means -ful

so "reggae-ful" or "reggae-like" but with the use of a spanish language ending implying a combination of spanish-speaking + reggae music

and the cheesy snare buildup in reggaeton is especially great when it goes into a doubletime bass kick that makes it hardcore!

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
and the cheesy snare buildup in reggaeton is especially great when it goes into a doubletime bass kick that makes it hardcore!

Haha, wicked. I'm now imagining some kind of reggae/dancehall/Slayer combo. \m/_ > .. < _\m/

muser

I dont think instruments/effects sounds can get passe, what does happen though is they get over popularized and alot of people do a less good job using them so you associate the instrument with the more prevailant efforts. I reckon this applies to the guitar, 303, amen break whatever. It doesn't mean that that sound is any less good its just less commonly being used effectively.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I dont think instruments/effects sounds can get passe, what does happen though is they get over popularized and alot of people do a less good job using them so you associate the instrument with the more prevailant efforts. I reckon this applies to the guitar, 303, amen break whatever. It doesn't mean that that sound is any less good its just less commonly being used effectively.

How do you mean 'effective'? Someone like Brian May or David Gilmour has a level of competence on a guitar far above most people who played in the first rock'n'roll bands of the 50s, but what they (the 50s guys) were doing was revolutionary simply because no-one else had done it before, and therefore seems much more important. In the same way, no shortage of bands since Black Sabbath have been far heavier, but Sabbath has that particular power (quite apart from the fact that it's powerful music in its own right) partly because they were the first group to really exploit that new, heavy, dark sound to the full.

So I guess what I'm saying is, sounds/techniques/instruments CAN become passé (or at least, cease to sounds original), regardless of the skill with which they're used, simply from being used by lots of people for a long time.

muser

I wasn't meaning technical skill when I said 'effective' more in its ability to musically interest/excite someone. I dont think those things are really connected; this is down to musical taste but for example when I used to play guitar alot I never liked van halen allthough I can appreciate his technical ability, the same goes for victor wootan on the bass.

Last edited:

gabriel

The Heatwave
I thought the -ton comes from the spanish suffix that means -ful

so "reggae-ful" or "reggae-like" but with the use of a spanish language ending implying a combination of spanish-speaking + reggae music

hey ripley :)

dunno, not heard that before, it's more than possible, i guessed/made up the derivation of the -ton a few years back just cos it seemed the most likely explanation, and i remember the first reggaeton i heard was dj playero's long, seamless mixes of it, which were like reggae marat(h)ons...

not sure i'm aware of the -ton spanish suffix in general though - i can't think of any spanish words that have this in?

Mr. Cheese

Paternal Reassurance
Ooppeenniinngg ttoo ttthhheee hhhhiiiigggghhhheeeerrrr ssstttaaattteeesss ooofff ccccoooonnnnssssiiiioooouuuussssnnnneeeessssssss...

swears

preppy-kei
Ooppeenniinngg ttoo ttthhheee hhhhiiiigggghhhheeeerrrr ssstttaaattteeesss ooofff ccccoooonnnnssssiiiioooouuuussssnnnneeeessssssss...

I reckon time-stretched vocals have been away for so long, they could make a nice little comeback.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
I reckon time-stretched vocals have been away for so long, they could make a nice little comeback.

Yeah! I fuckin love time-stretched vocals, I wish the voices on the tubes in London were time-stretched, that would be ill. The speaking clock too.

petergunn

plywood violin
man, i could make some great tracks using all the elements you guys hate... some wah wah guitar, a little chopped up impeach the president drums, add a little 303, and some plate reverb on a viola part, add a dramatic build up w/ 16th note kick drums... seriously awesome....

my only music hang up of that kind is i hate 80's production sounds for rock... for r&b and funk, i can deal with it, but that big ol' gated reverb snare sound ruins ALOT of rock records for me....