Sounds, effects, instruments that sound great for a bit but then sound passé very qui

swears

preppy-kei
man, i could make some great tracks using all the elements you guys hate... some wah wah guitar, a little chopped up impeach the president drums, add a little 303, and some plate reverb on a viola part, add a dramatic build up w/ 16th note kick drums... seriously awesome....

Travel back in time ten years, sign to Skint records, and make a fortune. ;)

borderpolice

auto-tune vocal effect - dude by beenie man, cher, zillions of rnb and uk garage tunes

apologies for my over-detailed musc production nerd tendencies. :cool:

let it all hang out!

Ultracompressed, autotuned, glassy RnB vocals will sound really dated in 10 years time I reckon - not just the glissando-splitting autotune effect of 2000-era garage, which thankfully seems to have fallen from favour, but just the whole hypereal RnB approach to vocals.

i was trying quite hard to do late90s early00s kind of UK Garage vocals, didnt work out. maybe you can tell me more about auto-tuning and how to use it? that would be great! i never considered that effect.

Pangaea

Has anyone suggested Venetian Snares-esque/breakcore drum programming yet? Quite a dated sound right now, probably needs a rest before the 'neucore' revival of 2013.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
See the great site below for even more well-known, perhaps slightly passé, sounds. It offers sound-samples of most of them, too.

Famous Sounds

I'd quite like to put up a throwdown to see who can come up with the best / worst track using all / some of those effects. I think I'll give it a try anyway...

Ness Rowlah

Norwegian Wood
80s Slap Bass as mentioned in another thread

Theremin - not that the theremin is that widely used (Portishead, Goldfrapp, Scanner and err Bill Bailey), but it has a sound I don't want to listen to for very long. (If you do - go to http://www.peterpringle.com/ for more).

straight

wings cru
electronica kids have been rinsing a few 'instant afz' stle vsts at the moment ie dblue glitch, supatrigga and abletons beat repeat. and theres an awful lot of dubstep out there that just sounds like reason/fruityloops presets

zhao

there are no accidents
the other ones are arguable as well, but the TB303 will always sound good to these ears - maybe not timeless, but a classic sound that I think will continue to sound good. (when used well, goes without saying)

lol

...the cheesy snare buildup in any and every commercial house/techno track. The bit that says to you "Now hold on everyone, 'coz in a minute it's all gonna go MENTAL!!!11". Gah.

this is funny lol

so true

So I guess what I'm saying is, sounds/techniques/instruments CAN become passé (or at least, cease to sounds original), regardless of the skill with which they're used, simply from being used by lots of people for a long time.

this is true...its all about being the first to pioneer something in music. lesson: don't be afraid kids lol

and this

Travel back in time ten years, sign to Skint records, and make a fortune. ;)

is f****** hilarious!

you guys man...