Kevin Shields bringing back MBV!

N

nomadologist

if i had a camera on my cellphone i'd totally do it just so i could share the snapshot of the look on his face.

i think every thread should be a sex thread, really. everything we do is already all invested with our libidinal energies and part of the desire economy and stuff. it would save us a lot of time and pointless filler.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
if i had a camera on my cellphone i'd totally do it just so i could share the snapshot of the look on his face.

i think every thread should be a sex thread, really. everything we do is already all invested with our libidinal energies and part of the desire economy and stuff. it would save us a lot of time and pointless filler.

Lol. I think coming out as a furry is the ultimate in transgression. 'You have sex in WHAT?'. Come to think of it...I'ma run down to the fancy dress shop t'morra, see what they got fer me.

dHarry

Yes, Nomadologist, Wikipedia agrees with you, sort of, although stresses that the Abstract Expressionists are painterly. But then again http://www.google.ie/search?q=rothko+painterly gives 29,500 results. You should get therapy for this dubble-u-c/TG ionisers obsession you know. Preferably not involving bear suits, cameras or MBV - actually Genesis P might enjoy it (without MBV of course). Finding it hard to picture her/him as a landlord, though...

N

nomadologist

somewhere in Scandanavia Guybrush just read this thread, almost fainted, and flails wildly as he reaches in vain for his smelling salts

he owns a loft building off the myrtle-wyckoff stop on the L train (bushwick) apparently. or maybe he's subletting a floor out of it or something? i'll soon find out.

it would be really mean if i wore my boyfriend's Mission of Dead Souls t-shirt and kept interrupting him to ask about genesis. "would genesis like this brand of coffee? what's he up to tonight?" heh.

Last edited:

mistersloane

Genesis would be the worst landlord. You'd get home and there'd be poo all over your sheets and a dead child under the bed and Gen'd go 'Oh, you know, just had some friends round, clear up the mess, would you? There's a dear.'

N

nomadologist

just because rothko and painterly showed up in the same document in a boolean search doesn't mean the word is being applied to rothko, silly. in boolean you'd have to do "rothko painterly" or something

for example, the third term of that search goes like this:

"By eliminating thick paint and the corresponding painterly brushwork, Rothko began a reductive tradition in contemporary art, which influenced Helen ..."

have fun with that. i expect to see a fresh bunch of abuse heaped on music everyone else loves when i get to work tomorrow.

Last edited:
N

nomadologist

heh, sloane. i've seen him on the subway. i bet he'll be like baking cookies and quilting in reality if i ever get to see him at home. he has kids, which is scary.

mistersloane

heh, sloane. i've seen him on the subway. i bet he'll be like baking cookies and quilting in reality if i ever get to see him at home. he has kids, which is scary.

It's not the kids, it's the idea of him baking cookies that's really gonna give me nightmares tonight, cheers!

Guybrush

Dittohead
God, I really hate it when indie rockers (reformed or otherwise) disparage their old flames. It always seems more like personal therapy (cleaning out the closet) than a real, candid, reassessment (yes, I know, my prejudices running wild). Congratulations, by the way, the collective effort of Dissensians everywhere finally managed to ruin this record (slightly) for me. The power of words and furs, eh?

somewhere in Scandanavia Guybrush just read this thread, almost fainted, and flails wildly as he reaches in vain for his smelling salts

Sorry, I don’t understand a word. Is it the artist you are writing about?

noel emits

a wonderful wooden reason
i'm coming to think of loveless as the hybrid of my two other rock favourite neu! and hadaka no rallizes, especially neu!2 which is a gift that keeps on giving

If only it was! But nowhere even close I'm afraid. Live '77 kicks Loveless' vag into the dirt in terms of feedback overload as texture. And those horrible sequenced / triggered drum samples on Loveless cannot even approach the sublime grace of the Dinger beat.

One thing that should be noted in this discussion is that the mastering on the Creation edition CD of Loveless is pretty horrible, really thin and brittle. I don't have it on vinyl but I do recall that sounding much fuller. Wasn't the CD of Isn't Anything notoriously ballsed-up as well? There were rumours a while back of some proper remasters of all the Creation MBV stuff being done. I wonde what happened there...

I think the Tremolo EP is much better anyway, at least the drums on Honey Power actually sound played.

P

Parson

this thread reminds me of the time a dude i know decided the mind is a terrible thing to taste had "horrible production"

people get hung up on the weirdest things in music and it prevents them from experiencing the magic certain things have to offer

lord knows personal prejudices have colored many a record i didn't manage to connect with.
still, i don't feel the need to shit on stuff that doesn't do it for me anymore.

if anything loveless should remind you of a time when you were younger and happier? at least some kind of revisionist nostalgia? maybe you guys are just permanently joyless and have nothing to reminisce about.

its a good album for what it is. i don't listen to it more than once a year though.

shudder

If only it was! But nowhere even close I'm afraid. Live '77 kicks Loveless' vag into the dirt in terms of feedback overload as texture. And those horrible sequenced / triggered drum samples on Loveless cannot even approach the sublime grace of the Dinger beat.

One thing that should be noted in this discussion is that the mastering on the Creation edition CD of Loveless is pretty horrible, really thin and brittle. I don't have it on vinyl but I do recall that sounding much fuller. Wasn't the CD of Isn't Anything notoriously ballsed-up as well? There were rumours a while back of some proper remasters of all the Creation MBV stuff being done. I wonde what happened there...

I think the Tremolo EP is much better anyway, at least the drums on Honey Power actually sound played.

there's a 180-gram vinyl version....

dHarry

just because rothko and painterly showed up in the same document in a boolean search doesn't mean the word is being applied to rothko, silly. in boolean you'd have to do "rothko painterly" or something

for example, the third term of that search goes like this:

"By eliminating thick paint and the corresponding painterly brushwork, Rothko began a reductive tradition in contemporary art, which influenced Helen ..."

Hmmm, and the others: "Mark Rothko's painterly reach for the sublime;", "Rothko's painterly rectangles", "Rothko's painterly handling of the canvas", "Rothko revels in color and its painterly application ","retaining the hypnotic, painterly textures which characterized Rothko's earlier work", "Rothko made a key contribution to the radical change in painterly practice"...

And this seems to clinch it:

"Abstract Expressionism -- or Painterly Abstraction, as I prefer to call it [...] a tendency that began well inside Painterly Abstraction itself, in the work of artists like Still, Newman, Rothko, Motherwell, Gottlieb, Mathieu, the 1950-54 Kline, and even Pollock"

- silly?

dHarry

One thing that should be noted in this discussion is that the mastering on the Creation edition CD of Loveless is pretty horrible, really thin and brittle. I don't have it on vinyl but I do recall that sounding much fuller. Wasn't the CD of Isn't Anything notoriously ballsed-up as well?
What a cruel irony, given Shields' obsessions which went as far as visiting factories to test random samples of Loveless on cassette and record for mastering quality. Oh sorry, I forgot, he was a bored heroin addict who couldn't be bothered.:rolleyes:

tom pr

Fucking New Order with their total shit lyrics and their bargain basement beats cast-off by American midwestern DJs who wrote them with one hand tied behind their backs and one jerking themselves off while blindfolded in the dark with steel plugs poured and galvanized in their eardrums for the sole purpose of ensuring that said beats would sound bad, just so they could watch Derrick May sweat them five years later and maybe one day hear them on European top 40 radio. they laughed so hard at these rinkydink blue-eyed beats and thought they were so worthless they wouldn't be caught dead trying to pawn them for skag in the USSR in full body armor even at their most bedrock of rockbottom lows. and then there was Blue Monday.
Well <i>obviously</i> New Order were shit.

tht

akstavrh

that's liking saying coffee with milk is worthless as it lacks the virtues of coffee or milk

sort of?

kicking vag is a phrase almost as awful as the thought itself, although it completes the circle of nasty reproductive organ metaphors applied to loveless after all those clitoridectomies castrations and hysterectomies

my thoughts on these things were being divested into the frigid victorian anteroom that was your madonna complex thread

Last edited:

noel emits

a wonderful wooden reason
that's liking saying coffee with milk is worthless as it lacks of the virtues of coffee and milk
Que? I didn't say anything was worthless.
kicking vag is a phrase almost as awful as the thought itself, although it completes the circle of nasty reproductive organ metaphors applied to loveless after all those clitoridectomies castrations and hysterectomies
Sheesh, steady on. It's a paraphrase of something Julian Cope wrote about a dreadful expression some record exec used regarding his music ("It really kicks my dick into the dirt.."), and vag seemed more applicable to those notions about Loveless' 'feminine texturology'. It was meant to be humorous, sorry you didn't get the reference.

martin

----
I just want to say 1) I've never been an indie rocker 2) I thought 'Loveless' was shit the first time I heard it , in 1994 3) I don't even consider it big or important enough to be considered a 'sacred cow' worthy of slaughter. I just think it's boring. If you like it, good. Sorry for bringing up sex with care bears.