IDM(ish) thread

tht

akstavrh
i don't know if windowlicker is a high benchmark for electronica it's more or less a great pop song more than anything else i think

and that's more or less why it's so good, thinking in terms of the english 'idm' thing and not the entirety of computer music

Gabba Flamenco Crossover

High Sierra Skullfuck
The original wave of electronica producers in the 90s were influenced by Techno, House, Ambient, Hip Hop, Electro, Jungle, etc, etc...various styles that could be fucked around with, hybridised and taken off on weird tangents. New electronica producers are influenced by other electronica producers. It's become very geeky and insular.

Added to which are the problems of virtual studio technology. It seems to me that most music prior to 1997 which could be classed as intelligent dance music - eno, E2E4, arthur russell, early detroit stuff, etc - is shaped to a large extent by the limits of the gear it's made on. Whereas now producers get sucked into a vortex of endless possibilities.

I've got a nascent theory that virtual studio technology was a fucking disaster for techno - by giving producers the means to conduct an epic journey up thier own arseholes, just as cultural snobbery about the direction of maistream dance music made it seem like a good idea. The best producers in this field seem to impose technical limitations on themselves - Basic Channel being the obvious example.

And I hate IDM too. And 'electronica'. What's wrong with calling it techno?

zhao

there are no accidents
i went through about 2 or 3 years of IDM craze, from about 1999 to 2002. bought a shit load of this stuff. sadly to report that not much of it still hold up.

gek-opel

entered apprentice
the hardcore continuum doesn't have to be the only source for the laptop crowd, autechre from confield onwards seem more interested in granular synthesis (although the last album was quite complacent)

Indeed I thought listening to Confield that they were heading into pure academic noise territory, which would have been a logical, if somewhat hermetic, destination.

Commander Keen

i went through about 2 or 3 years of IDM craze, from about 1999 to 2002. bought a shit load of this stuff. sadly to report that not much of it still hold up.

Man, i'm in the same boat as you. Maybe a bit earlier. Remember Boulderdash? Bauri? Astrobotnia?

Dare any of you to listen to any of that now.

mms

sometimes
I listened to Ovuca's Onclements album from 2001 yesterday, it still sounds pretty fresh.

yep wasted sunday has something special about it too as do bits if not all of astrobotnia.

listen back to alot of the mille plateaux stuff and it's lost it, the force trax stuff as well, but then half the point is to fall into these 'moment's' alot of golden period metalheadz stuff sounds like dry music for testing car steroes nowdays too.

swears

preppy-kei
Good call, Wasted Sunday is even better, I'll have to dig that out. The tune "Dilnau" in particular is a fave of mine.

zhao

there are no accidents
listen back to alot of the mille plateaux stuff and it's lost it, the force trax stuff as well

i would say some of the MP stuff lost it. some of it is still relevent I think - the tribute to Gautarri still stands tall, all the clicks n cuts I still enjoy from time to time, Frank Bretschneider albums still sound very good, and I will always have a soft spot for all that "electric ladyland" industrial hiphop. and of course, all but 1 or 2 of the Ritonell releases I consider timeless.

mouse on mars still sound OK for the most part.

sahko is not IDM but I love so much on that label

and to give back some props to Warp, I accidentally heard the first A.I. comp the other day, which is where all this started I guess, and it still sounds good!

as does Skam's 1491 or whatever it was called. solid.

but the likes of Plaid are pretty much worthless (save that track they did with bjork)

swears

preppy-kei
I don't find much old music dated-sounding anymore, since there has been so little actual musical progress in terms of innovation in the last three or four years.

Last edited:

zhao

there are no accidents
Thanks for this, great album, but more noise rock in some respects that IDM?

it does cross to other genre related sounds for sure... that gigantic, mega-distorted "beat" on that track... the guitar-ISH textures... the laptop details... the doom laden mood... not this, not that.

brings to mind, in terms of genre defiance and also use of textures and rich tones with digital trickery, that band... god DAMN it! why can't I ever remember their fucking name??? one word, half acourstic improvisation - half studio processed, all tight as hell... members are active in european improv... I can see the album covers... :mad:

and there's also Nudge, whose half acoustic half digital sound is also convincing, if not as powerful or compelling.

mms

sometimes
Thanks for this, great album, but more noise rock in some respects that IDM?

hmm isn't this where the problem lies firstly in some ways.

while swears says were in a weird non time where anything goes i wish that was true, but genre conditions are tied down so much it's meritable when someone breaks them, even though they've just been invented to more or less collect together music which has similar sets of sounds or tropes.
For instance i've heard of times where buyers in chain stores buy records in due to how many they will sell within that genre, if the record doesn't seem to easily fit into a genre it is an anomaly that doesn't get stocked.
It's like in-built marketing marketing analysis, music fans naturally playing the kind of games that marketing experts by restricting their levels of possible enjoyment and in some ways the success of music. Its not even as if i'm making a case for dillietantism, just some air.

michael

Bring out the vacuum
brings to mind, in terms of genre defiance and also use of textures and rich tones with digital trickery, that band... god DAMN it! why can't I ever remember their fucking name??? one word, half acourstic improvisation - half studio processed, all tight as hell... members are active in european improv... I can see the album covers... :mad:

Polwechsl? You've raved about them before, sounds appropriate.

gek-opel

entered apprentice
it does cross to other genre related sounds for sure... that gigantic, mega-distorted "beat" on that track... the guitar-ISH textures... the laptop details... the doom laden mood... not this, not that.

Another one in this line of non folktronic (euugh) digital/guitar/noise kind of interaction would be the KTL album of late last year, which was a lot less melodic than this, being a Peter Rehberg/Stephen O'Malley collaboration (and therefore with the exeption of the brooding first track quite horribly harsh). I think the use of subtle almost late post-rockish melody on "Theory of Machines" keeps it hyper listenable no mater how harsh the textures...

hmm isn't this where the problem lies firstly in some ways.

while swears says were in a weird non time where anything goes i wish that was true, but genre conditions are tied down so much it's meritable when someone breaks them, even though they've just been invented to more or less collect together music which has similar sets of sounds or tropes.
For instance i've heard of times where buyers in chain stores buy records in due to how many they will sell within that genre, if the record doesn't seem to easily fit into a genre it is an anomaly that doesn't get stocked.
It's like in-built marketing marketing analysis, music fans naturally playing the kind of games that marketing experts by restricting their levels of possible enjoyment and in some ways the success of music. Its not even as if i'm making a case for dillietantism, just some air.

I actually think Swears was arguing for a kind of musicological version of k-punk's "mors ontologica" where everything has already ended... I don't know how much the marketing niche problem affects more experimental music though. To some extent you could argue that since it is unlikely to sell vast numbers of copies anyway, and that the consumer base interested in it are more omnivorous by character, it would be unlikely to have a massive effect on genre twisting music. The real problem to my mind comes not from the lack of interaction between sub-sub-genres of fairly underground sounds but rather from the lack f interaction between the subterranean sounds and the pop mainstream, the lack of narrative. That to my mind seem far more dangerous...

Last edited:

dHarry

the tribute to Gautarri still stands tall

but the likes of Plaid are pretty much worthless (save that track they did with bjork)

Do you mean In Memoriam Gilles Deleuze?

I think Plaid have made some fantastic music - Rest Proof Clockwork and most of Not For Threes and Double Figures are great. Endlessly inventive, playful, melodic, daft, deep; it's IDM (if it is IDM?) you can love!

tate

Brown Sugar
Polwechsl? You've raved about them before, sounds appropriate.
Or Radian. Whose album rec.extern is important for many different audiences, both post-rock and electro-acoustic improv. They're Viennese but worked with John McEntire on this and another recording. It's an outstanding record, for sure. There was a thread on Radian once but it didn't get very far, got tangled up in talk of Load records if i recall correctly.