IDM(ish) thread

gek-opel

entered apprentice
I was listening to "DI go pop" by disco inferno and thinking that for at least one album that term makes some sesne...

tht

akstavrh
well its hardly a recent mego release is it about 2 1/2 years old from a label that no longer operates

that is why i said relatively recent compared to the aforementioned fenno'berg albums from 1999 & 2002 (this is like analytic philosophy innit)

not sure about hecker, i quite like his pvtrecks album

Last edited:

zhao

there are no accidents
my memory is failing me but I think I played a gig with coH once... he insisted on doing a mono set and brought his own speaker set up...

swears

preppy-kei
isn't it funny how post rock now sounds like such an out date term.

Probably because it used to seem like a world of possibilities, yet now summons up cliches like: slowly finger-picked minor chord sequences on clean electric guitars, cellos melodramatically sawing away, walls of feedback working up into yet another crescendo, plodding drummers interminently throwing in the odd flurry of cymbal splashes, entirely male audiences at gigs, you know, that sort of stuff.

The only post-rock album I could say I ever enjoyed every minute of was Trans Am's Surrender to the Night.

gek-opel

entered apprentice
there's at least three different genres of music that are termed post rock though... early stuff like Bark Psychosis and Disco Inferno that has vocals, mid period stuff like Tortoise late period stuff like GYBE/Mogwai which is completely different to the other stuff. All are generally utterly tired approaches now of course, apart perhaps from the earliest ones which sound remarkably free of cliche, although the fact that they were the least commercially successful has meant that obviously formulae where never really established...

gek-opel

entered apprentice
entirely male audiences at gigs

The one gig of this kind that I went was GYBE in Brighton, and the audience was 50/50 male/female and probably the best looking audience at any gig Ive ever been to. I did think that was a bit weird tho! Actually Slint had the worst looking audience, 99% hoodie wearing geeks.

swears

preppy-kei
I saw Mogwai in Liverpool a few years back, easily 99% male. I saw GYBE around the same time, 2002/2003 I think, and that was a bit of a sausage party too. Maybe a few more women, nowhere near 50/50 though.
Can't say the live experiences really converted me either.

zhao

there are no accidents
what about bands like to rococo rot (which I never thought really belonged) and Tarwater and the like which also seemed to be labeled "post rock" at the time. nothing much ever came out of that did it?

Fat Cat had a couple of pretty OK acts too... forget names (may be telling) tho

and Pluramon's already been mentioned.

N

nomadologist

I saw Mogwai in Liverpool a few years back, easily 99% male. I saw GYBE around the same time, 2002/2003 I think, and that was a bit of a sausage party too. Maybe a few more women, nowhere near 50/50 though.
Can't say the live experiences really converted me either.

That's one thing I think we tend to agree about, Swears, and I think it's a really valid point given digital recording technologies. I don't think IDM-y stuff is meant to be enjoyed live "primarily"--do many IDM acts even really polish up their live performances? Isn't the whole point of IDM the antirockstar, anti-image-conscious thing? That's part of why I used to like it, but I kind of find that tiresome sometimes.

N

nomadologist

speaking of Swears: I was just wondering earlier if you've heard A.R. Kane's "i" because if not, i wonder if you'd like it. i'll sendspace it if you want it, let me know...for some reason Swears letting up on the anti-indie stance is intriguing me, and I want to see what he'd find acceptable.

yes, I am procrastinating to avoid doing homework right now

zhao

there are no accidents
a friend just got back from london and he said there was a strong representation of the "hot-chicks" (sorry for political incorrectness) contingency at the dubstep events he went to... is this usually the case???

N

nomadologist

whatever, some chicks are hot--nothing wrong with that.

there are only a few dubstep/dub/grime nights here that i know of, but NYC usually has quite a few hot chicks at any bar...unless you're in Murray Hill or something, god forbid...

UFO over easy

online mahjong
Fennesz was incredibly dull, (ie laptop playback with crap guitar playing over the top, no live processing of the guitar sounds, might as well have just listened to the CD at home, blah blah...)

I saw fennesz play at an event organised by Touch in Leeds town hall recently, focusing on their absolutely enormous organ. It was fantastic.

gek-opel said:
All are generally utterly tired approaches now of course

oh of course!

swears

preppy-kei
speaking of Swears: I was just wondering earlier if you've heard A.R. Kane's "i" because if not, i wonder if you'd like it. i'll sendspace it if you want it, let me know...for some reason Swears letting up on the anti-indie stance is intriguing me, and I want to see what he'd find acceptable.

yes, I am procrastinating to avoid doing homework right now

Nah, thanks for the offer but I checked out a couple of performances on youtube and I'm not really interested in them.

N

nomadologist

never seen their videos...they kind of remind me of Fine Young Cannibals only with more effects pedals....

gek-opel

entered apprentice
a friend just got back from london and he said there was a strong representation of the "hot-chicks" (sorry for political incorrectness) contingency at the dubstep events he went to... is this usually the case???

Errm, its not as strictly homosocial as it was a year or so ago, (maybe 65:35 male:female) but "hot" is distinctly pushing it (for any of the people there!), mind you I've only been to fwrd and DMZ.

noel emits

a wonderful wooden reason
Tanzmuzik - sinsekie - nice japanese thing on Rising High back in the day. sounded a bit out of step at the time, which does it a lot of favours today.

I always really liked the Tan Tongue EP but only just heard the LP (the one on Rising High from '94). Container is sick!