IDM(ish) thread

mms

sometimes
Or Radian. Whose album rec.extern is important for many different audiences, both post-rock and electro-acoustic improv. They're Viennese but worked with John McEntire on this and another recording. It's an outstanding record, for sure. There was a thread on Radian once but it didn't get very far, got tangled up in talk of Load records if i recall correctly.

the dude from radian. stefan runs a label mosz which is well worth checking out too.
the lp after that was good too.

the last wasteland album is similar to this kinda stuff too, i-sound was in to rococo rot partially , whos found on vinyl compilation is a bit like the broadcast future crayon cd - probably the best they've done.

jahquarius

ByTown's Finest
hi I'm new here

I could use some IDM/ambient techno recommendations so maybe we can list our favourites here

Try Tycho: http://tychomusic.com/ for some very lovely, deep, melodic stuff. You can stream all of his tunes. FANTASTIC all the way through...

His album is right up there with the best of BoC, Ulrich Schnauss... you know, the more hip-hop ambient side of things... I think he's signed to one of the "big" IDM labels now (ghostly? merck? dunno)

mms

sometimes
Try Tycho: http://tychomusic.com/ for some very lovely, deep, melodic stuff. You can stream all of his tunes. FANTASTIC all the way through...

His album is right up there with the best of BoC, Ulrich Schnauss... you know, the more hip-hop ambient side of things... I think he's signed to one of the "big" IDM labels now (ghostly? merck? dunno)

up there with the best of boc?
from beginning to end it's a cover band, the album is on merck even down to the names- sunrise projector etc..it's a very good pastiche of boc.
i'd recommend jesse somfays stuff for similar melodic/minimal idm crossover music if you can find it.

Last edited:

gek-opel

entered apprentice
juxtaposition= Tortoise-style post rock (but much better less fiddly/jazzy, more Can-ish rhythmic) meets electro-acoustic improv type laptop stuff, waves of static pops hisses and clicks, basically just keyboards, bass guitar, laptop, and amazingly good percussion. Very good live too when I saw them.

tate

Brown Sugar
juxtaposition= Tortoise-style post rock (but much better less fiddly/jazzy, more Can-ish rhythmic) meets electro-acoustic improv type laptop stuff, waves of static pops hisses and clicks, basically just keyboards, bass guitar, laptop, and amazingly good percussion. Very good live too when I saw them.
That sounds like rec.extern, though perhaps there's less tortoise and more electro-acoustic on rec. I've always wondered how the sound works in a live environment, though. Now I know, thank you, sounds great. :green with envy:

gek-opel

entered apprentice
Saw them by accident supporting Fennesz when he played Shepherds Bush a few years ago. Fennesz was incredibly dull, (ie laptop playback with crap guitar playing over the top, no live processing of the guitar sounds, might as well have just listened to the CD at home, blah blah...) but Radian were actually pretty dynamic, and were good enough to convince me to purchase the album anyway...

zhao

there are no accidents
yes indeed i was thinking of radian. rec.extern, the earlier record, is more frenetik and nervous sounding for me, and shorter. seems Juxtaposition is more mature and varied.

always wondered about live too, because the recordings are atleast half studio affairs.

gek-opel

entered apprentice
They pulled it off well, although the material was all stuff off "juxtaposition", which from the sounds of it has a greater live instrumentation component.

N

nomadologist

do people still make "IDM"? i really had no idea. is there anything decent out there that's relatively new? used to love warp records back in the day

tht

akstavrh

this is the sort of poo that should have got humanely disposed of in about 1998, a total cul de sac (ehem) of ex indierock people fixated on defunct idioms when confronted with the endless utopian possibilites of fucking about with dsp patches (sort of)

the fenno'berg albums are way more interesting than anything, afaik just laptops

as a law anything described as similar to can that isn't can (and quite often if it is) will invariably be poo

just forget about the instruments, please

//exits lectern

gek-opel

entered apprentice
I would generally agree, but Radian, whilst not in any sense being ESSENTIAL, ploughed a unique enough furrow to be worth listening to. The description Can-ish covers a multitude of sins, but as a description of a certain kind of rhythmic approach to rock instrumentation it is a useful enough shorthand. If anything the best thing about Radian was how they rendered the live components as bare as possible of fiddliness, to the point of being more minimal than the electronic textures.

Last edited:

tht

akstavrh
sure, i'm very fundamentalist about these things (not that hardcore electronic stuff is very interesting right now either)

two relatively recent mego albums i like are coh/postpop and ilpo vaisanen/asuma

N

nomadologist

this sounds ridiculous, but i think a lot of the new IDM/minimal stuff escapes me because the names are so conceptually blank as to be not-memorable at all. they need snappier titles! and less mathematical graphic designs on their covers...

zhao

there are no accidents
coh/postpop and ilpo vaisanen/asuma

both nice. but radian is a swan among the ducks of post-rock.

fenn'o'berg is not an apt comparison. their project is fundamentaly different than that of Radian's.

maybe "fusion" of all kinds have a bad name for a variety of reasons, but purism i don't think is even a relevant critical stance anymore.

gek-opel

entered apprentice
sure, i'm very fundamentalist about these things (not that hardcore electronic stuff is very interesting right now either)

two relatively recent mego albums i like are coh/postpop and ilpo vaisanen/asuma

Haha, what do these albums sound like?

mms

sometimes

eh closed down over a year ago..
emego are the new label, and as far as i know they've not released anything new by coh, coh is very interesting, quite minimal and subby,but strangely melodic and pastoral at times. some interesting takes on pop music coming from mego lately.

also sun pandemonium hecker on mego is really great. one track in particular is just stunningly ugly/beautiful.

tht

akstavrh
fenn'o'berg is not an apt comparison

that's not a like for like comparison (clearly) just a suggestion that......

maybe "fusion" of all kinds have a bad name for a variety of reasons, but purism i don't think is even a relevant critical stance anymore

is unfortunately untrue when something is considered consistently a waste of time

eh closed down over a year ago

and? not a contradiction is it, none of the editions mego releases so far are as good as those two

what do these albums sound like?

just the usual laptop clickety click, except.....good? can't say there is any categorical difference unfortunately! coh has a slightly unusual esoteric disposition, and a sort of very dry humour

this sounds ridiculous, but i think a lot of the new IDM/minimal stuff escapes me because the names are so conceptually blank as to be not-memorable at all. they need snappier titles! and less mathematical graphic designs on their covers...

sure, although the most interesting thing about the crap albums is usually the facetious title

Last edited:

mms

sometimes
and? not a contradiction is it,

well its hardly a recent mego release is it about 2 1/2 years old from a label that no longer operates.
i think a few of those emego things are good, the o'malley one mentioned b4, the newer hecker one and the noriko one i mentioned.

good though all the same.
coh is an interesting fellow.

isn't it funny how post rock now sounds like such an out date term.