Irredeemably naff music

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
I think the only thing I can come up with that's irredeemably naff is this

Phixx - Wild Boys

I find it very, very hard to understand the sheer desperation that leads young men to do this to themselves. I also completely fail to understand the sexual attraction, both of which might contribute to the feeling that it's just irredeemable. And don't tell me it's camp, it's not. At 2:45 of this video, there is a synthesised scratch sound and one of the members does a 'wicki wicki' movement to it, it's very possibly the worst, most embarrassing thing I've ever seen. Music for paedophiles by paedophiles has to be irredeemably naff, doesn't it? Doesn't it?

leamas

James Blunt (don't watch the rhyming slang), Sandi Thom and all the rest of the dime-a-dozen singer songwriter types. Generic Latin House. "Emo" bands - seconded - do Fallout Boy count? They're awful. :eek:

However, "So Solid Crew" - some of their tunes are heavy, despite their leanings towards rude boy kitsch.

bassnation

the abyss
I hate him because he makes awful music. It's just one of those things.

I'd also like to nominate Bloodhound Gang (moronically unfunny 'funny' music for pissed-up frat-boy wankers), System Of A Down (unlistenable pseudo-revolutionary tripe for stoned 16-year-olds), At The Drive-In/Mars Volta ("Oh look, I can pick words at random out of a dictionary! I MUST BE A FUCKING LYRICAL GENIUS!"), Toploader (might not mean much to non-Brits; count yourselves lucky...) and, for reasons I can't be arsed to go into but fall under the general category of 'awful music': So Solid Crew, 50 Cent, any and all commercial Ibiza-type house, Bon Jovi, garage/R'n'B and Coldplay/Snow Patrol/Stereophonics etc. Gah.

Guns 'n Roses can fuck off as well.

Oh, and so can 'emo' bands, just on principle.

And don't get me fucking started on the Red Hot Chili Peppers.

so solid crew are wicked - if you listen to the album now it sounds like stripped down bass heavy electro with rapping and who of any taste would diss that?

also have to disagree on gnr - its classic heavy metal (appetite for destruction). as a genre it has always been naff and fans have never given a toss, which is as it should be.

and as for sean paul, check his version of beenie man "who am i". hes done some great tunes. is it just sean paul you dislike or all dancehall?

totally in agreement re. chillis though. total arse.

Last edited:

swears

preppy-kei
Erm, isn't this thread "what genres are beyond any sort of critical approval or reassesment" not "what genres do you hate"?

Exactly, we already have a haters thread. I think you've got to lean towards mediocrity in your choices rather than music that's outright terrible, because at least that might have comedy value.

bassnation

the abyss
Anyone willing to take up the torch for hard house? Thought not.

i'll take the bait.

its easily the last remaining form of working class rave. it may be irredeemably cheesy, but that didn't stop the hipsters colonising hardcore like it was their own, did it? they know how to party in a way that most tasteful london clubs would find shocking. its all about the vibe - that, and taking so much ecstasy that you can chew off your own eyebrows.

Last edited:

mms

sometimes
The kind of music surfers listen to, especially Australian ska or reggae bands, this is perhaps the most wrong music in the world.

showaddy waddy.

i used to go to a record shop when i was about 11 or so and the people who ran it were a really greasy cornish couple who kind of habitually wined at each other, and their bullied fat kid just ate chips all the time, shawaddy waddy was what they liked best.

mms

sometimes
i'll take the bait.

its easily the last remaining form of working class rave. it may be irredeemably cheesy, but that didn't stop the hipsters colonising hardcore like it was their own, did it? they know how to party in a way that most tasteful london clubs would find shocking. its all about the vibe - that, and taking so much ecstasy that you can chew off your own eyebrows.

hardcore is much better than hard house, in so many ways and i personally i wasn't a hipster when i was 16-17 or so and hardcore was about, didn't listen to much outside techno, hardcore, house, electro, hip hop etc..

straight

wings cru
i wouldnt say hard house is a working class thing, id say its probably more a gay thing a la trade at the moment, what seems to be big on the estates is the whole bonk/makina thing which makes hard house sound like shostakovich. you wont hear that on the radio south of wigan, i tell thee. i stumbled on this ridiculous site which seems to have been colonized by this sort of music while looking for some file hosting. www.mixstreet.net (though dont spend too much time there it'll rot your brain) i do the class' things is a bit of a misnomer to me, did i relinquish my working class satus when i went to university? working class seems to be shorthand for the great unwashed these days, anyone who is content with their place at the bottom of the cultural ladder.

BSquires

80's neo-progressive:

Pendragon:

Marillion:

Pallas:

Twelfth Night:

I can't see this lot ending up on any hipster lists in the next few years, but perhaps the revival starts now?

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Sorry Grandad, but he actually doesn't make the music in most cases, does he?

I think you mean you don't like Bashment. :)

I think that's beside the point, really. He's *responsible* for the music, and I don't like it.

What's "*popcorn*" meant to mean, anyway? (whoever it was that said that...)

mistersloane

The kind of music surfers listen to, especially Australian ska or reggae bands, this is perhaps the most wrong music in the world.

showaddy waddy.

i used to go to a record shop when i was about 11 or so and the people who ran it were a really greasy cornish couple who kind of habitually wined at each other, and their bullied fat kid just ate chips all the time, shawaddy waddy was what they liked best.

Showadddywaddy supported Einsturzende Neubaten once, making it the flyer most designers didn't want to make due to fear of spelling mistakes.

dHarry

this one i found by accident, it should have a govt. health warning:

I feel ill after watching those, but the Shut Uppa Your Face version is almost and interesting hybrid; Joe Dolce's original oom-pah-oom-pah timing (sounds Greek to me) is kept, but is completely at odds with the cack-handed rock/house backing on this.

But you really haven't died-while-living until you've heard Irish novelty c&w hit "Horse It Into Ya, Cynthia” - only for the truly brave/cuturally anaesthetised:
http://www.bebo.com/FlashBox.jsp?FlashViewType=TV&FlashBoxId=3516410855

Now I know what Deleuze means when he talks about the shame of being human.

I'm too sick inside to search for his other song “ I’ll Make Love To You In The Henhouse (If You’ll Only Egg Me On)”... :(

KernKätzchen

I think the only thing I can come up with that's irredeemably naff is this

Phixx - Wild Boys

I find it very, very hard to understand the sheer desperation that leads young men to do this to themselves. I also completely fail to understand the sexual attraction, both of which might contribute to the feeling that it's just irredeemable. And don't tell me it's camp, it's not. At 2:45 of this video, there is a synthesised scratch sound and one of the members does a 'wicki wicki' movement to it, it's very possibly the worst, most embarrassing thing I've ever seen. Music for paedophiles by paedophiles has to be irredeemably naff, doesn't it? Doesn't it?

You're going to hate me for this but I don't think that's as bad as it gets, far from it. I mean, ok, the video's irredeemably shite and the blonde one looks like he should be operating a photocopier instead of camply fondling rocks in a mock star trek landscape, but well, it sounds a lot like the original track and the original track's by Duran Duran. Duran Duran are quite good.

mistersloane

You're going to hate me for this but I don't think that's as bad as it gets, far from it. I mean, ok, the video's irredeemably shite and the blonde one looks like he should be operating a photocopier instead of camply fondling rocks in a mock star trek landscape, but well, it sounds a lot like the original track and the original track's by Duran Duran. Duran Duran are quite good.

Don't get me wrong, the original and its really quite amazing video ( long version )

are moments of pop glory. That Phixx stuff is just irredeemably bad, which is what swears wants.