Irredeemably naff music

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
What's "*popcorn*" meant to mean, anyway? (whoever it was that said that...)
I was expecting a statement like "garage is shit" to provoke people around here and was sitting back and grabbing some popcorn to watch the ensueing shitstorm.

The fact that this didn't happen is somehow disappointing... you should try slating jungle next.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I was expecting a statement like "garage is shit" to provoke people around here and was sitting back and grabbing some popcorn to watch the ensueing shitstorm.

The fact that this didn't happen is somehow disappointing... you should try slating jungle next.

As it happens I'm rather fond of a bit of jungle - WIKKID WIKKID!!! :D

N

nomadologist

What?? Sean Paul writes great pop music, he is beloved in the states.

N

nomadologist

And Sean Paul is not completely critically panned, either.

In Swears' original post, he says we should be "objective as far as that's possible", which I took to mean we should pick things that are hated far and wide and seen as illegitimate musically. Turns out he just meant we should talk about music critics hate.

objectivity=critical consensus?

uye

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Oh, I didn't see the bit about 'no overly personal choices'. Fair enough, I suppose I was just treating this like the 'haters' thread.

My final nomination, then, would have to be...

*drum roll*

...Jamiroquai.

Guybrush

Dittohead
My final nomination, then, would have to be...

*drum roll*

...Jamiroquai.

I think they are really good, actually, David Morales’ mix of ‘Space Cowboy’ in particular. Unlike some people, I don’t view them as cheap imitators at all, but rather as the 90s’ answer to Earth, Wind and Fire (a good thing—natch).

mms

sometimes
Isn't there some obscure 70s soul singer that Jay Kay completely nicked his vocal style from?

stevie wonder isn't that obscure.

escape from planet earth or whatever it's called is a direct nick of les conquestidores by johnny hammond. A blatant rip no less.

swears

preppy-kei
In Swears' original post, he says we should be "objective as far as that's possible", which I took to mean we should pick things that are hated far and wide and seen as illegitimate musically. Turns out he just meant we should talk about music critics hate.

objectivity=critical consensus?

uye

I mean stuff that is neither rated by the critics nor the public (although maybe it sold ok at some point in the past), music that very few people ('cause there's always someone, isn't there?) would even bother to try and revive or legitimise.

To be honest, I think it's a rather scarce commodity.

swears

preppy-kei
stevie wonder isn't that obscure.

escape from planet earth or whatever it's called is a direct nick of les conquestidores by johnny hammond. A blatant rip no less

No, I heard a tune a radio DJ once played to compare them, he sounded pretty much identical to Jay Kay. Maybe it's this Johnny Hammond guy, I haven't heard the track.

crackerjack

No, I heard a tune a radio DJ once played to compare them, he sounded pretty much identical to Jay Kay. Maybe it's this Johnny Hammond guy, I haven't heard the track.

Johnny Hammond was just a keyboardist wasn't he? Might have singers on some of his tunes though.

Tyro

The Kandy Tangerine Man
The smooth jazz saxophonist Kenny G.I have a recurring nightmare in which I am stuck in an elevator that has Kenny G music endlessly piped in to it! :eek:

... far more irredeemable than anything else including hair metal, modern singer-songwriter etc is just about any NME-sanctioned indie/rock music of the last 25 years. Just the fact that it thinks its intrinsically better than the former stuff is another to make me cringe. Not that I'm exactly mad on the other...
And the amazing thing is indie seems to get more unpardonable the longer its made maybe reaching its apotheosis with the Arctic Monkeys...
maybe bit predicatable that but for the sake of completeness...
Oh but I've just thought of something else equally bad/even worse... anything by Andrew Lloyd Webber or any horrible lowest common denominator Hollywood film soundtrack music by John Williams