Irredeemably naff music

STN

sou'wester
I think romo fits the bill quite nicely, very few people would try to rehabilitate that now, I think...

I read something somewhere about Jamaroquai ripping off Dexter Wansell but again, he was a keyboardist/producer, not a singer...

STN

sou'wester
I'm also tempted to propose all that British 80s psychobilly nonsense; King Kurt, The Metors, Demented are Go, morons, morons, rubbish, rubbish.

On a personal level, I'll admit I quite like King Kurt but on an objective level, they're dreadful.

bassnation

the abyss
i wouldnt say hard house is a working class thing, id say its probably more a gay thing a la trade at the moment, what seems to be big on the estates is the whole bonk/makina thing which makes hard house sound like shostakovich. you wont hear that on the radio south of wigan, i tell thee. i stumbled on this ridiculous site which seems to have been colonized by this sort of music while looking for some file hosting. www.mixstreet.net (though dont spend too much time there it'll rot your brain) i do the class' things is a bit of a misnomer to me, did i relinquish my working class satus when i went to university? working class seems to be shorthand for the great unwashed these days, anyone who is content with their place at the bottom of the cultural ladder.

trade died years ago, mores the pity. as a sound it escaped the gay clubs a long time ago and became the music of choice for provincial nights. haven't heard the manika thing, something tells me it won't really be my thing.

and in reply to mms, i agree hardcore is loads better but that wasn't the point i was trying to make which is that cheesiness in dance music is not necessarily a negative issue as it is in other genres.

mms

sometimes
I'm also tempted to propose all that British 80s psychobilly nonsense; King Kurt, The Metors, Demented are Go, morons, morons, rubbish, rubbish.

On a personal level, I'll admit I quite like King Kurt but on an objective level, they're dreadful.

Psychobilly is a truly terrible subgenre/culture whatever, just clogs up the drains around camden town.

Mediocre is so much worse than the truly dreadful. As such, I'd say any uber-earnest post-Nirvana Grunge-lite. Absolutely a waste of time.

soundslike1981

Nobody tries to salvage, say, Manheim Steamroller, Yanni, Kenny G, John Tesh, etc.?

Also, people trying to argue for the embalmed remnants of the Las Vegas schmaltz sound test my trust that no one really ironically likes anything.

The mere mention of the names of stuff like Nickleback, et al (mentioned before) does give me a shudder--all I can think to call it is "Constipation Rock," along with all the similiar-sounding "Christian Alternative Rock". . . wherin the vocal signifier for the expression of emotion (which I think is supposed to be some combination of turmoil and exultation) sounds rather like someone desperatly trying to unblock a well-lodged colon. . . I reflect this back onto U2, fairly or not. . .

bassnation

the abyss
Mediocre is so much worse than the truly dreadful. As such, I'd say any uber-earnest post-Nirvana Grunge-lite. Absolutely a waste of time.

which is why hard house should not be in this list. its not wallpaper music. no matter what the critical opinion, people geniunely love it (and trainspot it, in an earnest way no less). besides there needs to be an accesible entrance to every genre as no-one comes in as an acolyte.

sorry - this response had nothing to do with what you actually said, did it?

N

nomadologist

hehe. i like it when europeans say "joint", that's funny

bassnation

the abyss
hehe. i like it when europeans say "joint", that's funny

heh heh he said joint, butthead!

i know what you mean though. its like white people saying riddim. sounds excruciatingly self concious like the first time you swear as a kid and you don't really know how to make it sound convincing.

Guybrush

Dittohead
Ha ha, I know what you mean. But since I don’t really ‘have’ a language of my own, I just pick and mix. :cool:

N

nomadologist

totally. i mean, in the U.S., the people saying "check this new dipset joint" or whatever are "street" and it's hard for white people to get away with it. i know some white people who do, and they're mostly hip-hop djs.

but very very few can, so the thought of a scandanavian person doing it is hilarious. the people in my neighborhood would pay to see a white european say something like "this new beyonce joint is naff"--like you'd pay to see one of those trained monkeys on the street pound the cymbals...

N

nomadologist

i always say "word" with a straight face. i can't help it. i often have to remind myself that when my boss tells me to do something "word" is not an appropriate response.

bassnation

the abyss
i always say "word" with a straight face. i can't help it. i often have to remind myself that when my boss tells me to do something "word" is not an appropriate response.

it makes me cringe when i meet someone in their twenties, and its "yeah maaaaan". but mostly because i said it myself and its embaressing to face up to how i must have sounded when i was that age myself.

john eden

male pale and stale
Do the Sean Paul haters dislike bashment in general, or just his voice?

Because his vocals owe a heavy debt to Supercat and I don't hear anyone saying he is "naff".

Guybrush

Dittohead
In Sean Paul's defence, his music sounds a lot better when played at brain-meltingly high volume.

Actually, this is the key to appreciating him at all, I think. I remember being shocked about how much livelier ‘Temperature’ sounded over a big sound system than when played at home. This goes for all genres of music, of course, but especially for dance-centric styles such as dance hall. Also, as I think I have mentioned elsewhere, his being so tremendously popular is a major plus too: you can play his songs on any dance floor.