films you've seen recently and would NOT recommend

IdleRich

IdleRich
"It's not believable, but it's not meant to be. It's a bizarre sort of dream."
I reckon that's spot on. I think I enjoyed it slightly more than Touch of Evil but I'll accept that they're close enough to each other for some people to prefer it the other way round.

"I don't think I've ever met anyone who didn't feel this way about Citizen Kane. Assuming they'd seen it, anyway."
I'm surprised at that - it's quite a short film isn't it? I don't think it outstays its welcome.

Speaking of Orson Welles, has anyone seen (either of the versions of) Malpertuis? I'd really like to get hold of a copy if anyone has one.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0067386/

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
I don't think I've ever met anyone who didn't feel this way about Citizen Kane. Assuming they'd seen it, anyway.

I was actually really impressed with this one. If anything I found myself remarking at how clean and tight the whole thing was start to finish. There is virtually no fraff or bumbling at all - although I can see how that in itself might be received as boring to some. It is quite a clinical film really.

luka

yeah the trial that has some genuinely haunting scenes. that weird shed thing with schoolgirls surrounding it or something....

4linehaiku

Repetitive
Speaking of Orson Welles, has anyone seen (either of the versions of) Malpertuis? I'd really like to get hold of a copy if anyone has one.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0067386/

I have the "1973 Full-length official version", I don't really know what the other version is. I haven't actually watched it yet, so I can't vouch for the quality. PM me if you're interested etc etc.

This thread is straying pretty far into the positivity. So for a bit of balance I will mention that I saw Aliens vs Predator the other day. This may come as a shock, but it's a tad poor.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Vertigo is amazing. The first time I saw it I'd smoked a lot and I couldn't believe how beautiful it looked. Absolutley love the soundtrack too.

Should really watch Citizen Kane again, saw the start of it over Christmas on TV and found the camerawork really interesting. I have seen it before but that was ages ago.

I will watch Touch of Evil ASAP.

Last edited:

empty mirror

remember the jackalope
Chloe by Atom Egoyan.
Bourgeois soft core for the art film circuit?
Unsympathetic protagonists. Unconvincing femme fatale. Shoe-horned discussion of CD vs. MP3. Minimal boobage.

Egoyan's hit/miss ratio is leaning to the latter.

craner

Beast of Burden
i watched citizen kane with craner and we both found it a bit boring.

I must qualify this. We watched Citizen Kane together and both enjoyed it and thought it was terrific. But immediately afterwards we watched Shiver of the Vampires on the Horror Channel, which rather diminished Orson Welles' achievment. It was a case of meglomaniac media tycoon vs. lesbian pygmy vampires, that classic cinematic bind.

craner

Beast of Burden
Brian de Palma's Untouchables, on TV while I was ironing last night, was spectacularly bad: not even funny-bad, but depressing-bad.

IdleRich

IdleRich
"I must qualify this. We watched Citizen Kane together and both enjoyed it and thought it was terrific. But immediately afterwards we watched Shiver of the Vampires on the Horror Channel, which rather diminished Orson Welles' achievment. It was a case of meglomaniac media tycoon vs. lesbian pygmy vampires, that classic cinematic bind."
Jean Rollin right? His films are pretty much all the same but they do have something - even if it's mainly a kind of weird low-budget sense of longing that arises from the feeling that he's going for something that he's not quite able to achieve. They always have a slightly dreamy air and a slight feel of eroticism but never really go the whole hog on either.

woops

is not like other people
Has no-one mentioned F For Fake yet? A later Orson Welles film that I've watched at least 5 times.
I watched Citizen Kane twice last night - the second time with the commentary. I didn't know it was being discussed here. The next plan is to play it and just listen to the soundtrack without the images, as Kenneth Tynan did.

empty mirror

remember the jackalope
i like beastmaster but i LOVE beast master 2.

saw the Invention of Lying
very disappointing
formulaic
would have made for an ok sketch but not enough in the premise for a feature

rubberdingyrapids

not sure if anyone in this thread or dissensus still watches new films, never mind 'big' films, but inception is shit. fucking shit in fact. i hate that film. found it hard to care about anyone in it, its pretty incoherent, tediously expositional, the great supposed 'wow' factor of whats going on should not be quite so impressive/profound to anyone over 12, and its just boring to look at really. nolan has next to no visual flair. i think i might hate it a tiny, tiny bit less if so many people didnt seem to be so worshipful about it.

michael

Bring out the vacuum
^ Haven't seen Inception, trying to avoid it, but, yeah getting pressure from enthusiastic friends & fam - I went and saw Dark Knight on the back of all the hype and thought it was boring as fuck, can't imagine something about sleepy-times being less boring. :D

A mate I trust said given it's basically a heist flick, it's amazing how boring the exposition is. Usually that's a big part of the build-up - setting up the heist and then seeing how it unfolds. He also said to see Ocean's 11 (remake) ahead of Inception. :) Ha.

Bit of an Avatar effect a gwan. :( People complain that it's snobbery if there's a gulf between what you think and what everyone's saying around you, but it's just cognitive dissonance, eh? It doesn't feel right to be at odds with yr peers, so you either give it up or get more passionate...

slim jenkins

El Hombre Invisible
Top Marx. ;)

Re The Trial vs Touch of Evil the latter wins hands down for me...an exceptional film, not least for that opening shot and Orson's magnificent performance. Was there a Trial vs ToE issue? I can't remember.
Amusing to see some bored by that other little film the Big O made. Why not? We all have a right to be bored by supposed masterpieces. Rosebud indeed...